Question BSOD caused by hardware or software?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 21, 2019
Hi, I have been having multiple BSOD with different errors on my pc: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED , CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and today I had a lot of BSOD one after the other with errors SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M, ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (module: dump_iastorac.sys), UNEXCPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, CACHE_MANAGER, 0x000021a
I tried a lot of different things like sfc /scannow , chkdsk /f, memory diagnostic, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth , virus scan
I was wondering if by any chance there was anything more I could do to try to solve the BSOD from happening again and not send it to repair or is this caused by the hardware for sure?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Were the errors before or after the restart time?

"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC or server. Lsass generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This is performed by using authentication packages such as the default, Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell.

its used for login so I assume if you are logged in now, it was just a once off error and like most events in there, can be ignored

Does anything show in reliability history at time of restart? Any red X? click on them and then click view technical details in the bottom panel. If it just says an unexpected restart, its not overly helpful but any other errors might help

Nov 21, 2019
Just before because there was an error in the event viewer just after those 2 :
source Wininit, id 1015, A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000005. The machine must now be restarted.

No red X except when I last had a BSOD

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Have you run driver verifier yet?

Nov 21, 2019
Ok I'll try that. I just started driver verifier, no BSOD for now, how long should I keep it running? And is it normal that my pc is slower now that I started it (I selected all drivers installed on the pc)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would run it either until it causes a BSOD (as that is its job) or 8 hours, which ever is sooner. If you haven't crashed after 8 hours, stop it. But as some errors blame win 8 drivers, I expect it will crash.

It runs windows in a special mode that stresses drivers in ways they not meant to be. So if its a bad driver, it should cause it to crash. So the slowness shows it working.

Nov 21, 2019
I got a BSOD and I think we got the faulty driver, here is the report from whocrashed and the dmp file:
On Fri 29-Nov-19 5:08:11 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\112919-13578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFC90904150FC0, 0xFFFFC909041508C7, 0xD14040, 0x23)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 29-Nov-19 5:08:11 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: netwtw08.sys (Netwtw08+0x5C20D)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFC90904150FC0, 0xFFFFC909041508C7, 0xD14040, 0x23)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwtw08.sys
product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwtw08.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: netwtw08.sys Intel Corporation SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMdUZwT8T5KiiBrwpBAqsVA_neo?e=FXvEFS

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/qyZR.html

File information:112919-13578-01.dmp (Nov 29 2019 - 11:08:11)
Bugcheck:SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION (C1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwtw08.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

Driver that crashed:
May 30 2019 Netwtw08.sys Intel(R) Wireless Networking driver

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Nov 21, 2019
Thank you, what I don't understand is that I uninstalled this driver and reinstalled it from acer website 2 days ago and then updated it with Windows Update, so why is it still crashing? And when I go on intel driver support website it says that there is an update for this driver, should I download it?

Nov 21, 2019
Okay I had a BSOD again, not sure if it was because of driver verifier, here are the report from whocrashed and the dmp files:
On Sat 30-Nov-19 7:05:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\113019-6421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (USBXHCI+0x272AA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8010A3A2B9E, 0xFFFF878F2715A168, 0xFFFF878F271599B0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
description: USB XHCI Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Sat 30-Nov-19 7:05:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (USBXHCI+0x22195)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8010A3A2B9E, 0xFFFF878F2715A168, 0xFFFF878F271599B0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
description: USB XHCI Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMdUZwT8T5KiiFDM2DukpsKrZFh?e=gg7uto
It's like the faulty driver is a USB driver and now that I think about it my USB 3.0 port takes some time to recognise my gaming mouse and do not recognise at all my other mouse.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://pste.eu/p/lhO3.html - Gardenam's conversion

USB comes with windows, update the chipset driver from here - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1
update the intel serial IO drivers (on above link)

Are you using type c connection? Try updating nvidia drivers as some of their GPU have type c connections.

your sound drivers are old but I can't find any newer and installed version are newer than the ones on acer website.

Nov 21, 2019
I'll update all that and tell you how it went.
No I'm not using type c connection, only 3.0 or 2.0
For the sound drivers I think I just downloaded the one from acer website and updated it with windows update

So I updated the drivers but there is no changement, my mouse is still not recognise. What is weird is that it takes no time at all for my usb sticks to be recognised. And I have no problem with USB 2.0

Last edited: