[SOLVED] BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2019
Hello to everyone who is reading this question. I started to get Blue Screens around 2 months ago, so I checked .dmp files and all of them were caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I tried to find solutions on the internet, but nothing that could help me(or I just didn't find anything). Some of the BSOD messages are: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, CACHE_MANAGER, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...
The moments of the Screens are different - starting from Blender 3D and finishing the desktop(well anytime when I don't really want this). Some days can be without any errors, but others will be with like 5 BSODs.
I tried to do something by myself, so more information: drivers are ok(at least they are up to date), memtest86 did 4 passes - 0 errors, temperature is not even a half of the maximum.

Well, I guess that's all what i can tell to you now, if you would like to get more information - I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks for your attention, counting on your help.

Solution
Silent scream... you don't need to use driver easy on a motherboard that comes with LIve update 6. Go to this page - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-GAMING-PRO#down-driver&Win10 64 and download it if you don't have it now. It might offer a bios update since your system currently isn't showing any sysinfo (normally can tell what bios you have and it will show ram information

I wouldn't recommend 3rd party driver installers regardless of what motherboard/hardware you have anyway. They can install the wrong software.

Which wifi device do you have?
Avast might be crashing due to the wifi drivers. Though I have seen it be the cause before.

Why can't you update windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, with avast gone there is 1 less fix.
try steps 2 & 4 here - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-failed-install-error-0x80240034

this might help too
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

any more BSOD you get, just share the dumps and we keep picking away at it.

Let's get the driver situation fixed first. Nvidia for video card drivers, Live update for everything on the motherboard, D-Link for the wifi adapter, and uninstall Driver Easy.

Having said that, it is a bit alarming all the different locations your crashes are coming from (even AV). It could just be drivers, but it sounds more like a bad stick of RAM. As stated above, you can run Memtest on each stick individually, or run the machine on one stick at a time to see if you can narrow down the culprit.

Aug 6, 2019
I got a Blue Screen the file is in the dropbox and it's called 080819-12203-01.dmp(I don't know is it really convenient for you to find them so I'm leaving the name of the file)

gardenman

Splendid
It is difficult finding them each time. It's much easier when you have 1 (or several) dumps posted into a new folder each time and give the link each time. The reason is, I read multiple threads a day and it's difficult for me to keep up with each person. Anyway, I found the new one this time.

I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/DpcD.html

File information:080819-12203-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 01:01:05)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

Since a specific driver isn't directly implicated this time I don't want to guess. Maybe someone else will be able to help. Wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
maybe edit your posts instead of making a new one every minute :)

gardenman right, dump pointing to Nt kernel which is the victim not the cause. BSOD is blaming a driver though as far as I can tell.

Can you look in system information screen and tell use what BIOS version you have on motherboard?
It is odd Gardenmans report isn't showing system info, we can normally see codes for ram sticks, and bios version.

Is this a PC you made or a brand name? If you made it, there is no reason you cannot run memtest on each ram stick as even though its new, its always possible the new sticks are bad,

Aug 6, 2019
I just realized - my PC was built by Canada Computers(so there is a warranty), but it's custom, so not really a lot information about this PC online(even on their website)

Aug 6, 2019
Wow, the hole day without BSODs or restarts. I guess my problem is solved. Thanks everyone who participated especially to Colif and Gardenman, appreciate all what you've done to help me.

Reactions: gardenman
Status
Not open for further replies.