[SOLVED] BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel Crucial Ballistix Sport LT @ 1205MHz (16-16-16-39)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII HERO (LGA1151)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (MSI)
CORSAIR CX Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

I'd like to preface this by saying this problem started happening after the fan for my heatsink was going bad and making my computer overheat. As a result, I removed the CPU fan and I am using my computer without it. For those wondering, I am waiting for 8/20/2020 to order a new heatsink and fan as that is when it comes back in stock. I do not plan on using my computer without a CPU fan for my heatsink.

I also do not have any OC at all on neither my CPU nor my GPU.

Some things I've tried:
  1. running a malwarebytes for any potential viruses
  2. cleared CMOS on my motherboard in order to reset BIOS to default settings (I am already on the most up-to-date BIOS as of 8/19/2020)
  3. reinstalling Windows 10 to potentially fix any corrupt system files
  4. installed latest drivers for GPU
  5. reinstalled drivers for my Maximus Hero VIII motherboard, SATA, Chipset etc.
  6. ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic test showing no errors

I typically BSOD mainly while playing games.
For example, I am playing Remnant: From the Ashes and receiving a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT at:
CPU: 62°C
GPU: 66°C

Minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ZuSJyigmSzIKyowQlGXqSlMQm5a_K7g/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
Damaged hardware as a result of overheating can cause all kinds of crashes and instability problems. Though, it doesn't happen often that hardware damages from overheating, because it doesn't happen easily. Normally you would need to run with high temperatures for an extended period of time to damage the hardware with overheating.

Assuming you ordered a new fan on 20th as you said, when are you expecting it?

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Update: I just recieved an entirely brand new BSOD with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I was unable to receive a minidump for it as it stalled at 0% for 30 minutes. Hopefully this error code can narrow down what the problem may be.

Hi ithatsings,

Due to the nature of a clock watchdog timeout, a minidump is useless.

What were the temperatures of your computer when your fan was installed? If your computer overheated, there's a chance the overheating may have caused damage to your hardware.

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Hi ithatsings,

Due to the nature of a clock watchdog timeout, a minidump is useless.

What were the temperatures of your computer when your fan was installed? If your computer overheated, there's a chance the overheating may have caused damage to your hardware.

Wow. That doesn't sound too great.
My temperatures normally whenever the fan functioned properly were 35-40 idle and 50-65 under load (playing games).

I did some Googling and found another person who had the problem and it was a faulty CPU. Could the heat have damaged it?

And if so, what steps do you suggest I take from here on?

EDIT: I have downloaded and installed https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool to test my processor and about 75% of the way through, I received the same CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD.

Last edited:
There are many with similar problems like you who have different hardware components replaced for different reasons, I would not look into it too much.

What I am curious about, what was the temperature when you noticed the fan was going bad? 65 degrees is not enough to damage hardware.

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
There are many with similar problems like you who have different hardware components replaced for different reasons, I would not look into it too much.

What I am curious about, what was the temperature when you noticed the fan was going bad? 65 degrees is not enough to damage hardware.

Honestly, I am not too sure what the temperature was at. As dumb as it sounds I hoped everything would've sorted out itself, but obviously it didn't. After the first BSOD I felt the side of my PC case and it was very warm to the touch. Opening the side panel and hovering my hand around the CPU/Heatsink area was very hot.

With this in mind I unplugged the CPU fan and the BSODs don't happen until I am doing something intense such as playing a game. I can only assume it is overheating, but could overheating cause a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD?

Damaged hardware as a result of overheating can cause all kinds of crashes and instability problems. Though, it doesn't happen often that hardware damages from overheating, because it doesn't happen easily. Normally you would need to run with high temperatures for an extended period of time to damage the hardware with overheating.

Solution

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016

I'd like to first say thank you for sticking around with me and to answer your question, it should be coming within 12-24 hours as I write this. Some issues occurred and things went out of stock so I had to settle for a different heatsink and a fan, however, I'm sure it'll do its job properly.

I really do hope it's as you say and it isn't damaged by overheating. When things are all said and done and the new heatsink and fan is attached and I still receive BSODS, I can only assume it may be an issue with the CPU itself and the thought of buying another one is very upsetting.

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Keep me updated. :)

Hey, just giving an update:

I installed my brand new heatsink which finally came in after being delayed a day and my temps are great! 25 on idle and max 57 under load. I have gamed for nearly two hours straight and ran into NO problems whatsoever. As opposed to last time where playing for a mere 5 minutes made me BSOD. I'm not sure whether or not it is a huge coincidence or not, but maybe the source of the BSOD was just overheating? If anything changes, I'll probably consult this thread again, but other than that, I hope it's safe to say this problem is solved!