[SOLVED] BSOD Code 80 NMI_Hardware_Failure

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
I removed all hard drives but my main ssd, ran virus scans, uninstalled amd software and reinstalled to the newest version. Did scans for corrupted system files and memory problems and everything turned out fine. Checked to see if my bios is up to date.

I even get the BSOD in the log in screen.

Is this a sign that my PSU, Motherboard, CPU, SSD, or GPU may be failing? Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can take?

Solution
It isn't a common BSOD, I don't see it very often.

Cause - A variety of hardware malfunctions can cause the NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE bug check. The exact cause is difficult to determine.

that is from MIcrosoft, not overly helpful

When you say AMD software, would that include GPU drivers? only ask as 1 fix II can see for error can be upgrading GPU drivers.

How new is PC?
Are ram modules on the motherboard list? are they a matching set?
How did you test ram?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
It isn't a common BSOD, I don't see it very often.

Cause - A variety of hardware malfunctions can cause the NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE bug check. The exact cause is difficult to determine.

that is from MIcrosoft, not overly helpful

When you say AMD software, would that include GPU drivers? only ask as 1 fix II can see for error can be upgrading GPU drivers.

How new is PC?
Are ram modules on the motherboard list? are they a matching set?
How did you test ram?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Solution

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
A MEMORY.DMP was already created from previous BSOD but there seems to be no way in reading it as it seems my Windows gets caught in an infinite download loop while trying to install it. Installing it downloads the files into the downloads folder and then points me to the installation file, and the installation file is the same thing that downloads the files to to download folder and points me to the very same file. There seems to be no way to install WindowsSDK on this computer.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://unextremebell.htmlpasta.com/

File information:012720-7312-01.dmp (Jan 27 2020 - 17:00:22)
bs1t1GK.jpg
Bugcheck:
NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE (80)
Probably caused by:PSHED.dll (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
VnCx5mK.jpg
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Just a general update, after resetting the pc has failed, I tried clearing the hard drive and install fresh. Still more bsod, almost every single time I turn on the pc it shuts down in minutes, much more frequently than before. I was doing multiple memory tests with both ram sticks individually and the bsod continued to happen after the pc booted up. This is a clearly degrading issue that gets worse and worse and now finally blasted me with a Critical Process Died bsod error. I'm afraid this entire build has somehow bit the dust and I now feel I should have paid for the extended warranty. Shucks, guess I'll save up and try this build again or a similar one for the end of 2020 and hope for better luck or at least be much more careful when installing it. I thought I was careful but perhaps I Removed it up from the start and I'm only now noticing just a couple months later.

It's a shame, I have no idea how it all went wrong. One day I had a pc that worked great, then suddenly the past 3 days, it all went down the sink.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
It's unlikely for both ram sticks to be giving bsods as mentioned in some postshere in these forums before by garden. I get bsods regardless which ram stick is inserted leaving it a good possibility that it is the motherboard or something else.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
There is no official pc shop near me i am aware of. I live in a small town, and thr only store that calls itself a computer store focuses more on a variety of tech including cell phones and even providing its own internet but walking into it, it doesnt feel like they are dedicated enough to PCs to even have the parts compatible for my build.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
That's fine. I can't help that either. So I'll just have to replace it part by part until I'm lucky enough to find the issue. Perhaps I'll start with GPU and PSU as they are the oldest parts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one fix site suggests hdd
remove any external devices like hdd, printer,

NMI stand for Non-Maskable Interrupt, a type of hardware interrupt (or signal to the processor) that prioritizes a certain thread or process. There are two reasons for NMI. The first reason is due to Hardware Failure error. While the second reason is “watchdog timer“, that is used to find when kernel locks itself.

These errors include non-recoverable internal system chipset errors, corruption in system memory such as parity and ECC errors, and data corruption detected on system and peripheral buses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-maskable_interrupt

speed it restarts could mean its the CPU.

there are 5 BIOS versions since you current one, although I am not sure they would fix this.

do you have another PC? Make this on it and see if you can run Prime95 - it tests ram and CPU - Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

i would rma ram and see if it is the sticks.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
I do have another partially built pc for my son that holds my old parts including mb,cpu, and ram. It doesn't have its own dedicated hdd, psu, or or gpu however. I reinstalled windows again today and I am using memtest86 instead of Windows built in versions first ram has passed twice and is currently running the red test of 4.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Also, are you sure about bios? The version i have installed should be the most up to date according to the motherboard i use (using the max veesion of b45 tomahawk, not the standard). I'll check it again when the memtest is done.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
So after a successful memtest86 with no errors on one of my ram sticks, I decided to use Windows with that ram stick and try other suggestions on that page garden offered. One of the suggestions made was the stress test the CPU, currently I've been stress testing the CPU for half an hour and have reached temperatures up to around 70c with an average of around 90W.

It appears this CPU has no problem for the time being taking on a heavy load. Assuming the CPU is the problem, I probably would have gotten a BSOD the moment I even attempted a stress test, wouldn't I?

Update: I was able to achieve nearly an hour of stress testing the CPU with Prime95 and came up with 0 the HIGHEST achieved temperature of 77c, the average was around 70c. No errors or warnings detected.

Last edited:

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
My 2nd fresh install might have done the trick somehow. It probably has to do with deleting every partition in the computer excluding the extra hard drives I have connected for backup. I cleared all partitions, ran the memchecks, stress tested the CPU, then the GPU and never got a BSoD the entire day. This is not to say that I'm in the clear, because BSoDs can be weird like that sometimes, but here's crossing my fingers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
According to Dump file, this is BIOS info
VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.
VERSION: 3.50
DATE: 11/07/2019

Motherboard website I used - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

now based on date of BIOS, it would seem you have what they call 7C02v30 as its dated 2019-07-11
the newest is 7C02v35 dated 2019-11-11

Unless there is another Max?

BIOS update might help if error returns. It is possible it was an old driver and clean install has replaced it. Good Luck.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
The v35 is the one that I assumed I am using, it was installed ages ago using a USB (Or at least I thought it was). When I go in the bios itself it gives a slightly different number, but the number it gives suggests it's still version 35. I'll provide the number of what it says in the bios itself. Could the bios be giving me wrong information?

Also, could a clean install replace it? I didn't know bios updates worked like that, but I guess it would because it would probably make more sense, I doubt you can download information to the bios itself, it has to be held somewhere.

Update: Yeah, the number provided by the bios itself ends with .350 and I just assumed that meant it was version 35 but this number is an entirely different format altogether from what the website shows and that 350 could mean nothing. I'll update the bios again.

Update 2: Nope, it would seem like the bios still does have the most up to date version even after two fresh installs. I formatted the USB (it had memtest on it) and added in the most up to date bios and put it in the flash drive and opened the flash updater, it showed the same number in the bios. The current bios is the most up to date bios according to the bios itself, it has always been. Garden also mentioned that the bios is up to date. Makes me wonder why the BSoD error is showing a different bios version from what you're reading. Reading what you said more carefully, it would almost seem like it's the correct version, but MSI got the dates wrong somehow.

Last edited:

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
I haven't had any BSoD so I'll mark this one as solved and just make another topic if the problem returns, since the solution appears to have solved itself or probably the 2nd clean install was done more properly (by deleting the extra partitions) I'll just tag one of Colif's comments as the solution because he's made the most effort in trying to help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its likely the cause was a bad driver, one of the solutions is update drivers but that was impossible to do from your position. I should have suggested a clean install but in many cases that is the final answer. Most BSOD can be solved without one.

Your PC not staying on made it look more terminal. I am glad it worked