Question BSOD constantly occurring - ntoskrnl.exe and related - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED plus myriad others

Oct 13, 2020
Hi,

My PC has been suffering BSoD's and GSoD's for over a month now. They seem to be completely random, happen when I'm running any combination of software.

I've tried reinstalling windows on 3 different HDD's, connected to different sata ports. My original drive is an nvme drive. I have unplugged all peripherals, changed keyboard and mouse, re-seated my GPU, CPU cooler, used alternate DIMM slots for my RAM, all to no avail.

I have tried running the PC bare, with only the 2004 update installed by the installation media, it still crashed after a few hours. I have run Win Update, updated all drivers from manufacturers site. Still multiple crashes.

None of my hardware monitors are showing overheating, no overclocking has been done, not even XMP, these crashes occur while my CPU and GPU are completely idle too.

I've been using WhoCrashed, WINDBG, DriverView, BlueScreenView and MiniToolbox to try and identify and incorrectly functioning drivers. No joy. Each crash seems to mention different programs that could be the culprit, but it always seems to come back to ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe

I have run memtest64 and memtest86. I've only recently started collecting minidumps, so I only currently have the last 6, I have shared them in my OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtA3qYxZjMrvgs5OMWxtHbyv8uNB9A?e=swlhEl

I am at my wits end. I've read countless similar stories on these forums, I've tried all your recommendations, and I'm genuinely baffled.
I'm heavily leaning towards this being a hardware fault, but all the dumps and errors keep pointing to software issues. Saying that, I have had quite a few reboots where no BSoD has shown and no dump file has been written.

Any advice will be GREATFULLY received.
Most recent from WhoCrashed:

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Mon 28/09/2020 19:35:40 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092820-11078-01.dmp
uptime: 11:02:45
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x40FFD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFAB81063EFE70, 0xFFFFBD873F351000, 0xFFFFF8042B2AA1E6)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFAB81063EFE70, 0xFFFFBD873F351000, 0xFFFFF8042B2AA1E6)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 26/09/2020 21:38:54 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092620-11234-01.dmp
uptime: 00:19:23
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8002B879C3B)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 26/09/2020 21:18:23 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092620-11171-01.dmp
uptime: 03:37:19
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF8023CC2228B, 0xFFFF8000787DC920, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 26/09/2020 17:39:55 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092620-11250-01.dmp
uptime: 03:12:07
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFF990AB387DC40, 0xE0330E965E0F, 0xFFFF1FCCF169A1F0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

On Sat 26/09/2020 01:13:58 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092620-12093-01.dmp
uptime: 03:58:21
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFBE806F4C0E70, 0xFFFFE10910F5F000, 0xFFFFF80760AAA1E6)

On Wed 23/09/2020 23:22:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092320-7796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F3EA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

On Wed 23/09/2020 23:22:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x47539)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

Oct 14, 2020
I have had the same problems for months now. I have reinstalled windows several times, and it has gone for months without crashing, making me think I've fixed it. At this point, I think it is my AMD GPU driver. Recently bought a new GPU because I needed to update my AMD Radeon RX 480, but it still happens. I have also recently got new RAM and a new SSD. I think it must be either my AMD driver, or my motherboard/CPU. May I ask what are your hardware specs? These are mine:
Motherboard - MSI X470 Gaming Plus
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU - Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 5700 XT
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD - WD Blue 1TB 3D NAND SATA SSD

Oct 13, 2020
Howdy,

It's bloody irritating isn't it?

My PC specs are:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Extreme
RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB
SSD - Samsung Force MP510 512GB Nvme

Oct 11, 2020
Howdy,

It's bloody irritating isn't it?

My PC specs are:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Extreme
RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB
SSD - Samsung Force MP510 512GB Nvme
hello brother in tragedy...
what motherboard do you have? I have nearly identical specs to yours. You wouldn't happen to have an ASUS TUF Gaming X570 at all would you?

Oct 13, 2020
hello brother in tragedy...
what motherboard do you have? I have nearly identical specs to yours. You wouldn't happen to have an ASUS TUF Gaming X570 at all would you?

Howdy,

My MB is the: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI

It's such an annoying problem, and the error codes are next to useless.

Oct 14, 2020
Disabling Fast Boot is one of the things that helped mine crash less often, but the crashes eventually came back :/

I have tried countless suggestions in forums all over the internet. Checking my RAM sticks and my SSD both come up with 0 errors, even though most of the (very few) errors that I get that are actually helpful point to a hardware issue.
My friends really think this is an overheating issue, that is the next thing I am going to do is monitor temps until it crashes. I also have a CoolerMaster CPU fan that I have not installed (I have been using the stock fan that came with my CPU) so I hope this helps. Imagine it simply being an overheating issue? wouldn't that be nice

Also, this thread seems to have been solved with a better CPU cooler, so I think I may be finally on to something...

Oct 14, 2020
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)

I've never had this one, it is weird that the description specifies "Intel CPU" when you have an AMD. Yours seem more helpful than mine because mine are always very generic, but clearly they are not quite helpful enough!

Oct 13, 2020
Have you had a crash yet since you changed the Fast Boot option? I haven't had a crash yet since I disabled all my non-Microsoft services in msconfig.

Yup, had one this morning unfortunately. Another change i've just made is reducing, in BIOS, my memory Trc. Ryzen Confirgurator and CPU-z both reccomend a setting of 56, but mine was running at 81!. Will keep you updated.

Disabling Fast Boot is one of the things that helped mine crash less often, but the crashes eventually came back :/

I have tried countless suggestions in forums all over the internet. Checking my RAM sticks and my SSD both come up with 0 errors, even though most of the (very few) errors that I get that are actually helpful point to a hardware issue.
My friends really think this is an overheating issue, that is the next thing I am going to do is monitor temps until it crashes. I also have a CoolerMaster CPU fan that I have not installed (I have been using the stock fan that came with my CPU) so I hope this helps. Imagine it simply being an overheating issue? wouldn't that be nice

Also, this thread seems to have been solved with a better CPU cooler, so I think I may be finally on to something...

I'm running a Corsair H100i with a 240mm rad. CPU idles at 35c, highs of about 70c. I also have 4 other fans (all Corsair handled by a Commander Pro - yes I tried removing that too, still had issues), so definetly not an overheating issue for me :)

Nov 12, 2020
Hi there.
I have the same problem, the same BSODs. They are all about "ntoskrnl.exe" or/and drivers (amdkmdag.sys and more).

I monitored the temperatures for several days. Temperature doesn't reach more than 70 so everythings fine. Did a RAM memtest, scanned disks and it's no errors! Windows 10 was reinstalled from USB, that didn't help. BSODs everyday. All drivers are up to date. I also tested the older ones just in case.

Now, I am looking for a good computer service, but I don't know any, so I keep reading about this situation on the internet.
Someone has solved the problems by manually resetting the BIOS on mobo. I've never done it before so I cant do this, but maybe it help someone.

My PC:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g with Vega 11 Graphic
Mobo: ASRock A320M DVS R4.0
700W Power
RAM: Gskill 8GB x2

Has any of you found a solution? It's been a while since the last news, What's up?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi there.
I have the same problem, the same BSODs. They are all about "ntoskrnl.exe" or/and drivers (amdkmdag.sys and more).

I monitored the temperatures for several days. Temperature doesn't reach more than 70 so everythings fine. Did a RAM memtest, scanned disks and it's no errors! Windows 10 was reinstalled from USB, that didn't help. BSODs everyday. All drivers are up to date. I also tested the older ones just in case.

Now, I am looking for a good computer service, but I don't know any, so I keep reading about this situation on the internet.
Someone has solved the problems by manually resetting the BIOS on mobo. I've never done it before so I cant do this, but maybe it help someone.

My PC:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g with Vega 11 Graphic
Mobo: ASRock A320M DVS R4.0
700W Power
RAM: Gskill 8GB x2

Has any of you found a solution? It's been a while since the last news, What's up?
I would make your own thread as ntoskrnl gets the blame for most bsod but its not going to be the actual cause.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

can you make your own thread and show me a link and I will help. amdmkdag.sys are the amd display drivers.

Nov 12, 2020
I would make your own thread as ntoskrnl gets the blame for most bsod but its not going to be the actual cause.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

can you make your own thread and show me a link and I will help. amdmkdag.sys are the amd display drivers.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Thread is ready!