bsod crash loop

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Bsod loop
Kmode_exception_not_handled
Safe mode crashes. Started after unnecessary chipset driver update.
Fresh windows install did not fix. Please help me.
i7 6700k @4.0
Asus z170 aura mobo
16gb GeIl ram
120 ssd
1tb hdd
Gtx 970

Edit*
Memtest86 returned 0 errors on one pass.

Maybe Altho testing it with memtest would take longer than putting it in each slot. To see if the ram slot was faulty

If one of the slots lets you do anything then one of the other slots is faulty

Or if you've got the dvd boot from it use system restore to before the chipset drivers were installed

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I have 2 8gb sticks, I tried removing slot 2, no change, switched slot 1 to slot 2, no change, I switched stick 2 to slot 1 and it booted with a black screen, but no crash, and it never loaded anything, trying slot 2 now, but i think we are on to something.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
So I've tried every combo of the sticks and slots, I've gotten into safe mode once and was able to follow a step by step from another thread how to fix the irql driver issue. When I restart now it only boots to a black screen where I can see my cursor. But it never goes anywhere after that.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Memtest ran a full pass 55 min. 0 errors, I ran it before I posted the first post I just forgot and put it in an edit right after. I think it missed you. So try it without my graphics card and just the on board.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Ok that worked. I'm on windows now what? I know my graphics card is fine because I've been using it in my old system, since this started happening before Christmas. Is it just a driver issue? How can I tell?

Excellent ! hmm we'll try different drivers for the GPU you installed.

Maybe theyre stuffed? Where did you get the drivers you installed for the GPU?

Can the GPU go in another PCI slot if there's a spare slot?

If the GPU works in something else, it's either the drivers, or maybe the slot it's in

Whats the brand of the GPU?? ASUS? MSI?

What I would do is, whatever the brand is, get the drivers from that site. Even if theyre not the latest. Sometimes the latest drivers are worse than whats on the manufacturer's site

I tried the Nvidia drivers off their site about a mth ago for the card here.

I had to get the ASUS ones off the site (it's an ASUS card), because the Nvidia drivers kept crashing the browser, and stopped responding and I saw artifacts

After uninstalling them and installing the ASUS drivers, it's been fine since

If you can uninstall the GPU drivers now, uninstall them. get the drivers off whatever site. Shut this down install the GPU again. See if it gets into windows

If it does, install the drivers you downloaded, tick clean install only install the video drivers and HDMI audio, if the card has HDMI on it.

Untick the rest you dont need them

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
ok so I am loaded on my pc now normal mode. I updated the gpu drivers via the Gigabyte website as thats the card I have. Are there any tests I should run now that I am in Windows? I still only have one stick of ram in, do you think it is safe to put the other stick back in now?
You are a God among men, and you are worthy of the highest regard of internet fellatio there is.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
one other thing though. my hdd is not showing up now. I am using my ssd as OS and browser etc, and I normally have the 1tb for storage but it shows up in bios and in disk management, but i cant format or access it. I have alot of photos on it as well I would really like to not lose.

Ok Umm you could try the other stick.

According to the manual 1 stick should go into A2. if you use 2 sticks the other one goes into B2 (this should give you dual channel ram, if the ram sticks are a pair / identical)

Chuck the other one in B2. See if it boots into Windows !