bsod crash loop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Bsod loop
Kmode_exception_not_handled
Safe mode crashes. Started after unnecessary chipset driver update.
Fresh windows install did not fix. Please help me.
i7 6700k @4.0
Asus z170 aura mobo
16gb GeIl ram
120 ssd
1tb hdd
Gtx 970

Edit*
Memtest86 returned 0 errors on one pass.

Well you've used memtest, updated the BIOS. There's not much left to try / test !

Are both sticks installed now?? Avoid Chrome if you did use it. It's too buggy.

Only thing is try whatever game. If it crashes see if there are any updates for it

Did you turn it off before you switched cables? Not a good idea doing it if the system is still on

Ah thats why the drivers installed. Should be fine

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I'm running hwmonitor and I noticed that my cpu is running at 4021 MHz, I have not touched overclocking or messed with any bios settings regarding the cpu. it ran at 4000 even before all this started happening. it never moved off 4000 for min and max.

3 days of game play and streaming with no crashes. I havent updated my graphics drivers from nvidia and I have my system pretty well back to how it was before all this started. Thank you Paul NZ, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar and I appreciate you. Happy New Year!!!

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Ai Suite is uninstalled, I had other crashes before verifier was running and after i reset it. I ran memtest overnight lastnight for 6 passes and it returned 0 errors. I also ran asus diagnostics utility and everything passed.

Yes its part of Ai Suite, I competely removed it. No crashes yet. I will update if/when it happens.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Yea so it blue screened a bunch more times. I put my old rig back together, working fine, can play everything. I guess I will RMA my motherboard to hopefully get a new one. if that doesnt fix it, I will RMA the ram, and lastly the cpu if nothing else works. pretty frustrating as i paid over $600 for these parts in October... Hopefully getting replacements will fix this.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Ok, so Im back.... I have been reluctant to take the time to start an RMA. I tried re installing Windows, the same way i had done before and only using on board graphics, this time i didnt even put my gpu in, and i got kmode bsod and system thread exception. Does this pretty much guarantee its a hardware issue or could it still be something i can fix qith a driver?

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I made a usb boot from my previous windows build before any of this started happening and thats what ive been using each time. I did a fresh clean install and deleted and re formatted the drive before installing.
I have my old rig
Amd 8370
16gb ddr3
Asus mobo
And ive been using it with all the other hardware the same as this rig without any issues. Could this be a psu issue? I think my new rig draws just a small amount more power. It doesnt crash in safe mode, but when i try to load normally i get about 2-5min before bsod.

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
If it is one of the components would i not be able to find that with software? Memtest ran overnight twice with no errors, ive tested the cpu with intel diagnostic tool and asus pc diagnostic utility, nothing found wrong, i used seagates tool for the hard drive and chdsk on both drives, no errors. I ran benchmarks and all the hardware was at or above the 90th %. I just dont want to go buy new stuff if this still works, but if i go that route, should i buy a new mobo, or ram? Or both?