Question BSOD Crash WHEA ID 46

Nov 22, 2022
I'm having issues crashing during medium/high load after a few hours of playing games. I do not overclock at all and run at default settings in BIOS. I'm trying to find the problem component at the moment and could use some help.

Mobo: B550 Aorus elite V2 (bios F15a - now F15d) (latest chipset installed)

CPU: Ryzen 5800x

GPU: RTX 3080 (latest drivers installed)

Ram: Vengeance 3600mhz cl18 16gb x2

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X63

CPU idle: 45-50c load: 60-70c

GPU idle: ~50c load: ~60c

What I've done so far:

Updated all drivers,
Reinstalled Chipset x3,
Ran sfc /scannow x3,
Reset BIOS to default, no XMP.
Updated BIOS to F15d

CPU
Prime95 Small FFTs 1 hour
Prime95 Large FFTs 1 hour
OCCT Variable Test 1 hour
OCCT Steady Test 1 hour
(all back to back, no crashes)

Memory
Memtest86 each vengeance stick individually for 4 hours each (no errors)
OCCT Test 1 hour

Swapped out memory for GeIL Super Luce 2400MHz 8gb x2, crash still occurs while playing games.

I had an issue with this PSU previously, and had it RMA'd.

Here's all the minidumps i've collected so far:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnGYb2ZqdO42LC3A9cEGhJ8PKFJY2z01/view?usp=share_link

To add: The latest crash had two WHEA errors in event viewer, being 46 and 18 ID. It didn't leave a minidump, but did leave a livekernel one, so here that is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19gsrdbUivkz-R-b09Zy0WNHWGuzgqg0D/view?usp=share_link

Last edited:
I'm having issues crashing during medium/high load after a few hours of playing games. I do not overclock at all and run at default settings in BIOS. I'm trying to find the problem component at the moment and could use some help.

Mobo: B550 Aorus elite V2 (bios F15a - now F15d) (latest chipset installed)

CPU: Ryzen 5800x

GPU: RTX 3080 (latest drivers installed)

Ram: Vengeance 3600mhz cl18 16gb x2

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X63

CPU idle: 45-50c load: 60-70c

GPU idle: ~50c load: ~60c

What I've done so far:

Updated all drivers,
Reinstalled Chipset x3,
Ran sfc /scannow x3,
Reset BIOS to default, no XMP.
Updated BIOS to F15d

CPU
Prime95 Small FFTs 1 hour
Prime95 Large FFTs 1 hour
OCCT Variable Test 1 hour
OCCT Steady Test 1 hour
(all back to back, no crashes)

Memory
Memtest86 each vengeance stick individually for 4 hours each (no errors)
OCCT Test 1 hour

Swapped out memory for GeIL Super Luce 2400MHz 8gb x2, crash still occurs while playing games.

I had an issue with this PSU previously, and had it RMA'd.

Here's all the minidumps i've collected so far:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnGYb2ZqdO42LC3A9cEGhJ8PKFJY2z01/view?usp=share_link

To add: The latest crash had two WHEA errors in event viewer, being 46 and 18 ID. It didn't leave a minidump, but did leave a livekernel one, so here that is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19gsrdbUivkz-R-b09Zy0WNHWGuzgqg0D/view?usp=share_link
Maybe try to test the ram sticks with Testmem5 with absolut.cfg

Also did your 3080 run on a pigtail/daisy chain instead of 1 cable per pcie cable slot?

Nov 22, 2022
Maybe try to test the ram sticks with Testmem5 with absolut.cfg

Also did your 3080 run on a pigtail/daisy chain instead of 1 cable per pcie cable slot?
It doesn't appear to be the RAM as it crashes on both sets, one of which I know is perfectly fine, but I can try a test later on.

My 3080 runs daisy chain but the minidumps suggest it's an AMD crash. I turned off PBO and CPB in BIOS and it doesn't seem to have crashed (so far) so i'm led to believe either a CPU or MOBO issue.

It doesn't appear to be the RAM as it crashes on both sets, one of which I know is perfectly fine, but I can try a test later on.

My 3080 runs daisy chain but the minidumps suggest it's an AMD crash. I turned off PBO and CPB in BIOS and it doesn't seem to have crashed (so far) so i'm led to believe either a CPU or MOBO issue.
maybe try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings before doing so).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash the bios to the latest again or use bios with agesa 1.2.0.3 latest revision if you dont use Win 11, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile and PBO, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.11.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Nov 22, 2022
maybe try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings before doing so).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash the bios to the latest again or use bios with agesa 1.2.0.3 latest revision if you dont use Win 11, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile and PBO, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.11.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Thanks for the detailed guide. I'm trying with PBO and CPB off at the moment to see if it crashes, and if it does, i'll do the above steps.

Reactions: Koekieezz