Question BSOD crashes .. RAM problem?

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
In the past couple of weeks I have been having and more BSOD crashes . Here are a few of the errors I got :
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
My current config is
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
i7-4930k
KINGSTON DDR3 - 1600mhz 8x8 (64 GB)

My entire PC is 9 years old except for my graphics card (3060 Ti) which I purchased quite recently . Running windows 10 .

I ran the windows memory diagnostic and it reported back hardware problems. I ran the memtest86 next and upon first try it exceeded 10000 errors and stopped. I then ran it again with 2 ram sticks and it threw up 1607 errors and the word FAIL in bold red. I need to run the rest of them but each test takes 5 hrs! . My guess is its ram thats failing. But Im wondering if my motherboard is failing as well.

Best guesses?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ideally you run memtest on 1 stick at a time, as it could be just one of them causing errors. You can't tell which one if you have multiple in PC.

Run tests overnight

any error count over 0 is too many so you remove/replace ram with errors, and then once they gone, we see if BSOD still occur.

Last edited:

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Ideally you run memtest on 1 stick at a time, as it could be just one of them causing errors. You can't tell which one if you have multiple in PC.

Run tests overnight

any error count over 0 is too many so you remove/replace ram with errors, and then once they gone, we see if BSOD still occur.

I have to run mimimum 2 at a time since my monitor would not show anything if I didnt have minimum 16gb running. Any reason for this??

I ran another test with 6 sticks in last night and it logged 6500+ errors.

I might have to replace all the ram since its a 8x8 Kingston 1600 DDR3 installed and from what little I know I have to replace it with one 8x8 kit.
I just wanted to know if there could a motherboard issue as well or if it is just the ram

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have to run mimimum 2 at a time since my monitor would not show anything if I didnt have minimum 16gb running. Any reason for this??
That is different, I can't say I seen that before?
was CPU overclocked at any stage? just curious as that can lead to odd things over time.

pointless testing ram with more than 1 stick as you don't know which to blame.

the 2 ram sticks thing could mean its motherboard... think I get some 2nd opinions

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
That is different, I can't say I seen that before?
was CPU overclocked at any stage? just curious as that can lead to odd things over time.

pointless testing ram with more than 1 stick as you don't know which to blame.

the 2 ram sticks thing could mean its motherboard... think I get some 2nd opinions

Just encountered another BSOD : PAGE FAULT IN A NONPAGED AREA . Never overclocked the CPU. Honestly never changed any BIOS settings ever.

Colif

Win 11 Master
bsod to be expected if the ram is throwing that many errors.

I might have to replace all the ram since its a 8x8 Kingston 1600 DDR3 installed and from what little I know I have to replace it with one 8x8 kit.

i don't think you need all ram slots filled but then I don't see those boards often.

its difficult to tell if its ram or motherboard. Ram cause you get so many errors, or motherboard, cause that needing 2 sticks to get display thing is strange.

according to this you can run with
1 stick in D1
2 sticks in D1 & B1
4 sticks in A1, B1, C1 & D1
also shows combo for 6 and obviously 8

So is the 1 stick in D1 when you try as it could be you leaving stick in wrong slot and that why you don't get a picture?

See page 1-11 = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...CK_EDITION/E8670_Rampage_IV_Black_Edition.pdf

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
bsod to be expected if the ram is throwing that many errors.

i don't think you need all ram slots filled but then I don't see those boards often.

its difficult to tell if its ram or motherboard. Ram cause you get so many errors, or motherboard, cause that needing 2 sticks to get display thing is strange.

according to this you can run with
1 stick in D1
2 sticks in D1 & B1
4 sticks in A1, B1, C1 & D1
also shows combo for 6 and obviously 8

So is the 1 stick in D1 when you try as it could be you leaving stick in wrong slot and that why you don't get a picture?

See page 1-11 = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...CK_EDITION/E8670_Rampage_IV_Black_Edition.pdf

This might be tricky to do since the ram is behind the noctua cooler. But let me check it and I will post what I find. Thanks for your reply

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
So I gave my PC to a technician and he reports that it is not a RAM problem but a HEATING issue. The Noctua is apparently not doing its job. He is currently trying to fix the MOTHERBOARD as well since that might be a problem as well. Will report back again soon

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
heat can cause BSOD.

Good that tech found problem, I seen plenty of people take PC for repair and get no help in fixing their problems.

Yeah he was helpful. He kept insisting right from the beginning that it was not a RAM issue and this was just from looking at photo's of my build . Dont know how he figured that but after working on it this was what he found was wrong. Still trying to replace another the non-functional fan of the Noctua to see if he can get it working

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
curious what case you had that he could work out it was heat just by looking at it.

No clue. My first guess on the BSOD was Ram error. So ran system diagnostic. It said hardware problem. Ran memtest86 and it spat out a whole bunch of errors including maxing out the 10000 error limit on memtest (maybe because I used the free version) . I sent him picture and he said Kingston Ram does not give problem . Maybe motherboard issues. And then he found out about the Noctua after service.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't know memtest had a 10k error limit. 0 errors is only score you really want... 10k is, "I am going to stop counting now as its pointless" territory. So I can see why it stops there.

I was asking what Case the PC is in, as it can play a factor in keeping PC cool. But if a Noctua fan had stopped, that is probably enough.

glad its fixed anyway.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
i didn't know memtest had a 10k error limit. 0 errors is only score you really want... 10k is, "I am going to stop counting now as its pointless" territory. So I can see why it stops there.

I was asking what Case the PC is in, as it can play a factor in keeping PC cool. But if a Noctua fan had stopped, that is probably enough.

glad its fixed anyway.

I have a NZXTPhantom 820 . Im think its a full tower