Question BSOD: Critical Process Died - out of ideas

Nov 6, 2023
Apologies but can't provide a dump log rn since I'm currently doing Memtest

I am randomly BSOD-ing, like I would go on 12-jour sessions with no BSOD, leave my PC on while I sleep on purpose to see if it would and I would wake up with my PC in BIOS.

This error code has been the most common.

This is how it goes, I would be minding my own business, recently mostly just watching a stream or something since I don't want to risk gaming in these circumstances. I played a game of PUBG today since it's more on the demanding side and I had no issues, 30min after I BSOD while just watching a stream.

My SSD that has OS on it randomly goes into 100% Active Time and around a minute or two later of my PC being pretty much stuck it blue screens.

Note that this is ACTIVE TIME, not Disk Usage, I kept track of that as well and the most I ever saw was 30%. My GPU and CPU never went nuts on usage during these times either.

Things I have tried based on what else I've seen from searching online:

Reseating the RAM (I recently upgraded to 32GB).

Replugging SSD

Doing a Memtest86 as we speak rn, no errors so far and I don't think there will be any but will let you know

I might re-check with my old 16GB of RAM if it occurs again.

What else I am suspecting is that I may need to check my Windows with those sfc scan commands in Cmd and/or have to reinstall it entirely.

The SSD in question is at 98% health in Crystaldisk with no errors while hovering over it.

Could anything else be the cause? I'm getting desperate lol

Image of Active Time and BSOD

Image of Memtest86 rn

Other than when it blue screens the other time it goes into pretty high active time is right on start-up

Nov 6, 2023
Result - These are the results from running sfc and DISM, officially clueless as to what I could potentially do now, hoping for a response...

ubuysa

Distinguished
The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bugcheck is almost always down to a hardware issue, so you're right to test your RAM. Just be aware that a positive Memtest86 result does not mean that you RAM is good, it just means that it probably is. No memory tester can ever find 100% of potential RAM issues.

That your C: drive has a 100% active time - that means it's busy and not able to accept any other I/O request, and that's not normal for any extended period of time. One thing you could try here is to open the Windows Resource Monitor (cmd: resmon). Expand the Disk section and click the heading for Total (B/sec) so that it's sorted descending on this column. The busiest files will now be at the top. Post a screenshot of that display.

I would also suggest running a chkdsk /f /x on that C; drive to check for filesystem errors. You'll have to reboot afterwards.

It would also be useful if you download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file. The file contains no personally identifying information and most of the files are txt files so you can look through the output before uploading it. Do not delete or modify anything however.

Reactions: resubamac
Nov 6, 2023
The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bugcheck is almost always down to a hardware issue, so you're right to test your RAM. Just be aware that a positive Memtest86 result does not mean that you RAM is good, it just means that it probably is. No memory tester can ever find 100% of potential RAM issues.

That your C: drive has a 100% active time - that means it's busy and not able to accept any other I/O request, and that's not normal for any extended period of time. One thing you could try here is to open the Windows Resource Monitor (cmd: resmon). Expand the Disk section and click the heading for Total (B/sec) so that it's sorted descending on this column. The busiest files will now be at the top. Post a screenshot of that display.

I would also suggest running a chkdsk /f /x on that C; drive to check for filesystem errors. You'll have to reboot afterwards.

It would also be useful if you download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file. The file contains no personally identifying information and most of the files are txt files so you can look through the output before uploading it. Do not delete or modify anything however.
Thank you, if any BSOD occurs again I'll try this out and give you an update, for now everything seems to have normalized randomly, only thing I did since the RAM test was change my SSD power cable (I think that's what the other one that isn't the SATA cable is called) since it wouldn't boot after the BSOD I had before deciding to run Memtest86.