Question BSOD / DPC Violations Crashing - Help!

Jun 27, 2022
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance fixing an issue my computer has, I am able to resolve most issues my computer has however this one has been ongoing for a long time, since I upgraded my computer approximately 6 months ago.
Every now and then, specifically in demanding environments like recent AAA games my PC will seize up, pause for sometimes 10 - 15 seconds, sometimes show graphical anomalies and then crash to BSOD.
The cause has been consistent, it's a DPC Watchdog Violation but with Who Crashed I am unable to nail down the exact origin of the issue. I thought someone more experienced in Win10 troubleshooting might be able to help me out here.

Some background and computer specs

i7 12700KF 12 Core CPU
NVIDIA 3070Ti
Gigabyte Z690 UD
850w PSU (approx. 6 years old)
16GB RAM (Brand new)
1TB nVME (I had other hard drives connected but i have since removed them for troubleshooting)
Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 510 CPU Cooler
I have a WIFI Card in the mobo too.

Some detailed background and already covered methods of troubleshooting.
I have been getting this issue as stated for approximately 6 months, I decided not to attempt to troubleshoot it immediately as I was quite busy and was just putting up with the constant crashing.
The crashing occurred after I upgraded my computer, the only 'legacy' components which were brought over was 16GB RAM and an 850W PSU.
  • I ran all the obvious CHKDSK, and SFC /scannow prompts to eliminate easy issues. The crashing continues.
  • I checked every single driver and ensured they were up to date, installed driver integrity tools to make sure i have not missed anything. The crashing continues.
  • I have had RAM go on me in the past and since this RAM was quite old I decided to replace it, I then ran MEMTEST86 and passed. The crashing continued.
  • I decide to uninstall my GPU drivers through a DDU tool (in safe mode) and then reinstall them, my computer becomes considerably slower and is running at 30% frames as what it normally would. Nevertheless I try to see if it crashes, it does.
  • I decide to install a fresh set of windows and format my nVME in the process, after installation I update all drivers for intel, chipsets, gpu, windows, I then download steam, firefox, GeForce Experience, Utility App (for gigabyte motherboard), downloaded God of War on steam (as i have found it crashes a lot quicker running this), 5 minutes into the game I crash.

I am quite disheartened and confused as to what the issue is but by all the Who Crashed analysis it points to something in the windows installation or the CPU. I however have looked up this fault codes provided in the below analysis and the issues seem very broad. (majority of the advice points to old drivers being run, others require drives to be deleted entirely, found a thread that says the nVME is busted for someone).

Any assistance is appreciated, If you think I have glossed over anything please shout out. I am close to going to a commercial computer repairmen but I dont have much faith in them.

Most recent analysis below, after format and new windows. Ignore the highlights. Apologies i could not provide this in text format.

unknown.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/543644304619601965/990940329509265448/unknown.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Do you have latest BIOS on motherboard?

what make/model PSU?

it looks like you have windows generic drivers installed,

confirm that you have installed these: (4 installers)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

the timeout was a usb time out for a bluetooth device

remove gdrv3.sys driver using microsoft autoruns64
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

update the bios to version f7a
Z690 UD DDR4 (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

you should change the memory dump type to kernel and provide the kernel dump c:\windows\memory.dmp
it will have the internal logs and will show what is connected on your usb subsystem.

do the updates, remove the driver and retest to see if you get a bugcheck.

Jun 27, 2022
Hey John

Thanks for the assistance, the four installers were already installed.

I had not installed my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse yet and was running off a generic wired setup.

I removed GDRV3.SYS from my drivers. I played another 20 hours of games (longest in a long time) and have not received any blue screens or crashing. I personally believe this issue is now resolved.
--
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Jun 27, 2022
I think i spoke too soon

I was just on a Zoom call doing a work course and my computer blue screened. The latest dump is below.

I only recently installed my bluetooth keyboard and mouse yesterday (Mouse is M720 and keyboard is K850, the only thing in my USB ports was logitech bluetooth USB, but the keyboard and mouse were running off my computers Bluetooth)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkdNvsIXshOWlECrQ?e=dRFFEr

WhoCrashed Analysis below.
unknown.png

use autoruns64 from here: Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
to disable this driver:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021
----------

the bugcheck had a timeout value common for a usb device, it looks like it happens with bluetooth driver ibtusb.sys

Loaded symbol image file: ibtusb.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ibtusb.inf_amd64_6cf0e0b4c9babbdb\ibtusb.sys
Image name: ibtusb.sys
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: Fri Apr 22 05:46:45 2022 (6262A3B5)

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

you are running the microsoft version of the drivers, you might try installing the intel drivers from Download Intel Drivers and Software

------------------
here is the debug info:
next step would be to look at the internal logs for the drivers listed in the below list but that requires a kernel dump.

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ibtusb.inf_amd64_6cf0e0b4c9babbdb\ibtusb.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ibtusb.sys
DPC Watchdog Captures Analysis for CPU #8.
DPC Watchdog capture size: 108 stacks.
Number of unique stacks: 93.
Most common function: fffff80740d5915e BTHUSB!BthUsb_ScoReadTransferCallback+0xBE

List of functions that exist often in the Watchdog record:
Module Name Function Name #Stack #Of Occurrences
BTHUSB BthUsb_ScoReadUrbSend 000 17 (of 56)
nt KiRetireDpcList 001 18 (of 19)
ucx01000 Usbd_BusQueryBusTime 014 9 (of 9)
Wdf01000 FxIoQueue::DispatchRequestToDriver 106 1 (of 2)
ACPI ACPIIrpDispatchDeviceControl 085 1 (of 1)

List of functions that are called often in the Watchdog record:
Module Name Function Name #Stack #Of Occurrences
BTHUSB BthUsb_ScoUrbStart 002 27 (of 61)
nt KiIdleLoop 001 19 (of 20)
Wdf01000 imp_WdfRequestSend 036 2 (of 5)

---------------

Jun 27, 2022
Hey John,

All these drivers are already up to date as per that webpage (image below)

I have uninstalled logitech options and logi bolt from my computer and am running a wired setup in the meantime.

It crashed shortly after the first one this morning, the dump is below. I have changed my setup to a generic wired setup with two USBs connected (mouse and keyboard).

Considering the driver is IBTUSB.SYS would it be recommended to remove the driver, i would assume doing this would however mean the bluetooth keyboard and mouse unusable.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkdNvsIXshOWlECrQ?e=EAdJIu

unknown.png

Last edited:
the bluetooth driver timed out but that does not mean that the problem is in the driver. It could be the gigabyte graphics accelerator driver messing up and causing the timeout on the other driver.
I see various problems with systems running gdrv3.sys
you should disable it until you figure out the cause of the timeout

Jun 27, 2022
the bluetooth driver timed out but that does not mean that the problem is in the driver. It could be the gigabyte graphics accelerator driver messing up and causing the timeout on the other driver.
I see various problems with systems running gdrv3.sys
you should disable it until you figure out the cause of the timeout

I have changed the dump file to kernal, will keep logitech uninstalled for now and see if the blue screen still comes up. I will leave gdrv3.sys enabled for now to ensure the bluescreen is replicated so i can provide the kernel dump files.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
gigabyte graphics accelerator driver
gdrv3.sys is actually a motherboard driver, it can be gpu but as he has a Gigabyte mb, its more likely it.
It might be updated through their app store program but its more trouble than its worth. Also possible Microsoft have a package from Gigabyte that has drivers for the board and windows update installs them.

Reactions: johnbl

Colif

Win 11 Master
They probably don't even need it at all.

it caused a bsod on my PC a few weeks ago, I didn't even know I had easy tune on my pc. I had once, a year before, installed the app centre to grab latest version of rgb software just to turn the rgb strip on MB a different colour. I then removed the app centre and rgb software, but it must have installed easytune then without me noticing. Only after getting bsod did I find it. And dig into what it was for.

They can remove easytune via apps/features. You really don't need any Gigabyte software.

Jun 27, 2022
The only Gigabyte App Center application i have installed is the BIOS app (proof below). I try to keep everything quite blank slate. Will keep you guys updated on the progress of this anyway.

unknown.png

Since uninstalling all logitech software im getting optional driver updates for logitech from 2012. I do remember reading on some forums a few weeks ago these could be related to the issue due to the date of the drivers.

unknown.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2022
Yeah i do own a logitech webcam and its quite old so i wouldnt be surprised if it was older than 2012. Do you think this could be the issue?

P/N 860-000441
Logitech 720p is all i can find for the model number

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, actually. I know those drivers as I have seen them before. Since i find myself looking through driver listings, I get to know what they are. A lot of the time, old drivers are the cause of errors, but I think those ones are fine.

They just happen to be newest drivers that were submitted to Microsoft for digital signatures so that they continue to work with windows 10/11.

I didn't mean to suggest they were problem.

Jun 27, 2022
Afternoon Gents

After approximately two weeks of not crashing, playing God of war and Cyberpunk 2077. I started playing a new game with the wireless setup (was using it four days prior with no crashes) and have experienced 3 crashes within 35 - 40 minutes. I had changed the minidump file to kernel and will upload them now

They are in the links below, is there any additional information you can assist me with using the new format of dump files.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkdz4D9ZsweQ55JBk?e=VgfER6

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkdhhxNXsjnWu0aIQ?e=VV8Xd8

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkeMRlwr5GpEqCZgk?e=hNwezl

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

timout bugcheck was in a usb bluetooth device
looks like most file are microsoft generic.
custom drivers:
ibtusb.sys Fri Apr 22 05:46:45 2022
HidEventFilter.sys Wed Jul 7 05:55:37 2021
(event filter is older than the one provided by motherboard vendor. bluetooth usb driver is newer than the one provided by motherboard vendor)

lookhttps://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipsets like neither of these match the one from here:

you might remove both drivers from the driver store
then install the two drivers from your motherboard vendor. intel serial io driver and intel hid event driver.
(install as a matching set) dated 11/5/2021 and 11/2/2021

you might need to google "how to remove a driver from the driverstore" to show you how to turn off plug and play and use pnputil.exe to remove the driver so you can install the matching set from the motherboard website.

note: running
gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021
you should remove with autoruns64.exe
until problems resolved

19: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.4, DMIVersion 0, Size=6520]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 24
BiosVendor = American Megatrends International, LLC.
BiosVersion = F6
BiosReleaseDate = 01/27/2022
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = Z690 UD DDR4
SystemFamily = Z690 MB
SystemVersion = Default string
SystemSKU = Default string
BaseBoardManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoardProduct = Z690 UD DDR4

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022
Hey All

Unfortunately it is me again,

I have been getting daily crashes still, usually while playing any game or sometimes watching an online video with a few applications open. I have taken the below advice and removed it from autoruns and the problems still persisted.

"note: running
gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021
you should remove with autoruns64.exe
until problems resolved"

I have started getting worse crashes where my bluetooth will completely shut off and is unable to be found. I then have to restart a few times for it to even be available. I thought maybe the WIFI card was doing this so i purchased a Archer T5E (AC1200 Wi Fi Bluetooth 4.2 PCIE) which is actually a downgrade but i wanted to ensure it was using different hardware.

The issues have still continued. I have looked up multiple times that i am using the most up to date drivers and everything confirms this on my end.

The below link holds 5 window crash files

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjlEPrv_liOkgQMcsyexgO5h7kDQ?e=vQYScq

Thanks for any further support, would be willing to pay for services to fix this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 110922-7234-01.dmp (Nov 9 2022 - 14:14:51)
BugCheck: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctxusbmon.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File: 110922-6703-01.dmp (Nov 9 2022 - 17:26:33)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File: 110522-6078-01.dmp (Nov 5 2022 - 13:35:53)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: cod.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

File: 110422-5812-01.dmp (Nov 4 2022 - 17:03:08)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctxusbmon.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: cod.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

I may have missed a dump, it was confusing having so many zip files

two of them caused by
Aug 17 2021ctxusbmon.sysCitrix USB Filter driver
which makes me ask... where did a USB driver come from?
Windows 10 comes with USB drivers, generally don't need to install any more.
I don't see them mentioned as part of motherboard as in the past there could be extra USB chips on motherboards to run USB slots, your MB has enough on the Intel chipset

I didn't convert the previous ones, John did so I looked at the 1st one you gave us, its not listed in there.

What USB devices do you have? Bluetooth? 2 of the errors mention Bluetooth processes. Xbox controller maybe?

even though only 2 mention the cause, all 4 are USB drive related.

Jun 27, 2022
Afternoon Colif,

Citrix is an application I need to download to log onto the Australian Defence Network remotely, i require this for work.

The only other USB devices i use are a Logitech K850 wireless Keyboard and a Logitech M720 wireless mouse, i used to use the USB dongle to connect them but usually go without and use bluetooth. I also have a Logitech webcam connected and use a Bose NC700 wireless headset.

This makes a lot of sense as two of the crashes actually removed bluetooth capability from my computer and i had to do multiple resets to get it back online.

I have had a feeling either the motherboard or the WiFi card was playing up, after replacing the WiFi card and experiencing the same issues i now expected it to be Motherboard related, or driver related.

I have just conducted another fresh format of my computer and will slowly introducing wireless devices to it. I am hoping the Citrix application has nothing to do with the crashes.

Thanks for your ongoing support, I appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have had a feeling either the motherboard or the WiFi card was playing up, after replacing the WiFi card and experiencing the same issues i now expected it to be Motherboard related, or driver related.
well, motherboard doesn't have WIFI so it has to be the card or its drivers.

the 2 crashes that mention ctxusbmon don't mention Bluetooth in them, and based on my experience, if the crash text mentions any driver name, it is the cause.
Plus most of the time it says WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctxusbmon.sys the driver it mentions is the cause.
So to me, its cause.

Now the 2 other ones happening when BT stopped working makes sense, as it looks like it timed out.

What do you mean by replacing card? took it out and put back in, or got new card?

Jun 27, 2022
Hey,

Yes I replaced the WiFi/Bluetooth card completely with a different and lower tier network card and the issues still persisted so through trial and error I have cancelled that out as being the cause.

In case you were curious, i have included three links to include videos of what physically happens to my computer when the crashes do happen. They are spaced out over a few months each. I lose all mouse, keyboard, mic and audio, the game will continue playing for sometimes 5 seconds and the display will drop out with some textures remaining

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjlEPrv_liOkgQaM7QNlSXM6K5er?e=7TGQpm

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjlEPrv_liOkgQRwSdUJ7xUsZOmA?e=QohP3C

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjlEPrv_liOkgQXUPdqIhU7gYO89?e=LJa3pM

As stated above, I am onto a fresh format and will be slowly introducing bluetooth peripherals and then Citrtix Reciever to see if i can narrow down/confirm what is causing this issue.

Once again, thanks for the help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did we ever revisit this
850w PSU (approx. 6 years old)
The PSU is a an RM850X

as it could be the psu, judging from your description
I lose all mouse, keyboard, mic and audio, the game will continue playing for sometimes 5 seconds and the display will drop out with some textures remaining
sounds like the order it would pick to turn off things less essential. Eventually screeen goes as PC thinks CPU more important than you being able to see screen

TRENDING THREADS