Question BSOD: "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" ntoskrnl.exe ?

jeffreyzhou3

Honorable
Sep 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

Lately my laptop has started to freeze up randomly (while in the middle of working, while at idle, literally completely randomly) and then bluescreen. During the frozen period I cannot do anything except force power it down by holding the power button. The bluescreen page is so artifacted that I can't read anything off of it, so I installed bluescreenview which shows the error code as "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

I've tried analyzing the dmp files in windbg, and it seems to be a conflict between the ACPI driver and the AMD I2C device driver (which maybe suggests power management issues?) but nothing I've tried seems to work. My laptop is a Lenovo Slim 7 ProX (6900HS, RTX 3050)

So far, I have tried checking all drivers for updates, updating the BIOS, disabling hard drive sleep in power plan settings, and uninstalling/reinstalling network card drivers, cpu drivers, etc. but nothing has worked. In fact, in the past few weeks, the laptop has started bluescreening much more frequently to the point that in the process of writing this post, it has already bluescreened once. I haven't been able to work for more than a couple hours MAX before it bluescreens again.

I've attatched a handful of dmp files from the minidump folder for anyone to help look at
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BwQmZ6Q_oy9_CySt7MIKJCquGQp2GRFc?usp=sharing

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ubuysa

Distinguished
These are all power transition failure BSODs, but for different devices. It's true that most are for the AMD I2C device, but there is one for your Radeon 680 and one for the USB3.0 hub driver. Clearly the common denominator is somewhere else.

You say that you've checked for driver updates but there are several updated drivers available on the Lenovo driver site for your laptop that post-date drivers that you have installed, so there are driver updates that you can - and should - install. There is even a critical driver update available for your graphics driver - which you don't have installed. There is also a BIOS update dated April 2024 that you should consider once all other drivers have been updated and the problem remains.