[SOLVED] BSOD During or After Intense Gaming - Totally stumped

Sep 30, 2019
Hello folks,

I'm hoping to ask you's for some help on an issue I can't figure out. For about the past year or so during some games (typically the most demanding ones graphically) would Blue screen during or after when I quit out of the game. Sometimes immediately after quitting from a game and shutting down it would happen to.

I've tried some of the obvious things like updating graphics drivers, motherboard Bios, Memtest and I've even done a complete reformat of the system so I'm no longer convinced there's a problem with the software. I'm convinced it was when those big Intel updates came out about 2 years ago that's done something. I'm also pretty sure that I've turned off all overlocking as my Asus board would do some automatic overclocking. The system used to run fine for a long time.

If it helps, I've taken my crashdumps and pasted below, additionally, I've included the actual files through a OneDrive link.

System Information (local)
Computer name: SCOTTPC
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1809, build: 17763
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z87-PRO
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel8664, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17104257024 bytes (15.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 29/09/2019 20:49:07 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\093019-5093-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B4040)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x19AB30010, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF804634B7D12)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 29/09/2019 20:49:07 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x7F09)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x19AB30010, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF804634B7D12)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Thank you for taking the time to read and if anyone has any ideas, I'm humbly thankful.

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly, could you please post your ENTIRE system spec including PSU make and model?

I have run the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/C5wu.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck A
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KxWaitForLockOwnerShipWithIrql+12 )

Bugcheck Description:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at an invalid address while at a raised interrupt request level (IRQL).
This is typically either a bad pointer or a pageability problem.

P1 is the address that could not be referenced."

About your bugcheck:
"Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly, could you please post your ENTIRE system spec including PSU make and model?

I have run the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/C5wu.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck A
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KxWaitForLockOwnerShipWithIrql+12 )

Bugcheck Description:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at an invalid address while at a raised interrupt request level (IRQL).
This is typically either a bad pointer or a pageability problem.

P1 is the address that could not be referenced."

About your bugcheck:
"Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device drivers using improper addresses. This is either a bad memory pointer or a pageability problem with the device driver code. Examine the third party drivers .

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen."

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
  • If I am not mistaken, you are on an older windows? 1809?
  • I would remove Malwarebytes entirely and run on Defender until the cause of the issue is found / resolved. AV can commonly cause IRQL issues.
  • You have Intel XTU running, are you running an OC/XMP at all?
  • Being as I do not know your motherboard, you may need to update your Wireless drivers (atheros). Not using a driver updater also - download directly from the MB website.

Reactions: darthwilson89
Solution
Sep 30, 2019
Thanks PC Tailor for helping, it's greatly appreciated and thanks for the welcome =)

Okay, full spec is:

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro (Latest Bios)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
Memory: 16gb Corsair DDR3 four 4GB sticks. 1333mhz I think
GPU: Nvidia Strix 1080
Storage: Two Samsung EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair AX860 860W
Cooling: Case is aircooled, CPU is water-cooled with Nzxt Kraken

In the meantime, I'm going to update Windows 10 to the latest verison, hopefully the update doesn't break my Start bar again... I'll remove Malwarebytes and see about turning off the intel turbo boost. I don't think there's any other OC happening

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks PC Tailor for helping, it's greatly appreciated and thanks for the welcome =)

Okay, full spec is:

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro (Latest Bios)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
Memory: 16gb Corsair DDR3 four 4GB sticks. 1333mhz I think
GPU: Nvidia Strix 1080
Storage: Two Samsung EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair AX860 860W
Cooling: Case is aircooled, CPU is water-cooled with Nzxt Kraken

In the meantime, I'm going to update Windows 10 to the latest verison, hopefully the update doesn't break my Start bar again... I'll remove Malwarebytes and see about turning off the intel turbo boost. I don't think there's any other OC happening

Thanks
Turbo boost is fine, leave that on.
But I would uninstall Intel XTU if you are not using it.
The wireless drivers would be my first port of call - are you using onboard WiFi or a third party component?
Have you used any "driver updater" programs at all? Wondering if Atheros is the correct one for your board.