[SOLVED] BSOD Help: Pfn List Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2020
I've read several pages of forum questions on this BSOD but it seems that most people usually have multiple different error messages, whereas I only have the one. I've only gotten pfn_list_corrupt and judging by time stamps on some messages I've sent out to friends, it looks like it started happening in July, after I installed my new GPU. I can't really tell if it's the GPU though, and I've used DDU to uninstall the drivers from the previous GPU and this one just recently. Anyway, here's the stuff:

I'll include the last four dump files. Two of them had obvious drivers that were the cause, of which I removed. I'll make sure to comment on those so whoever looks at these knows I dealt with them.

Specs:
OS
: Windows 10 Pro. Vers. 10.0.19042 Build 1904 (Note: I originally had Home when this all started. I upgraded.)
Mobo: Asus PRIME B450-Plus (Bios Ver. 2202, 7/14/2020)
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 (Note: Before, as mentioned, I had a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (Originally Ballistix Sport LT 16GB before replacing them with current in September, believing RAM was my issue.)

Dumps:
First Dump
Second Dump (I used Driver Verifier to get this one, aka why it isn't pfn_list_corrupt. Led to the next one as I grabbed some Logitech drivers for my mouse, hoping those would help.)
Third Dump (Logitech Drivers. They're gone.)
Fourth Dump (Fresh from today, about an hour ago.)

Things I've Tried:
1.) Memtest. Turned up nothing on either of the two sets of RAM I've had this year.
2.) Driver Verifier. First time it pointed to the network drivers for VirtualBox. Got rid of VBox, turned up nothing after. Second time, recently, the HID drivers and you can see where that led me.
3.) Updating as many drivers as I can think of.
4.) All the system scans and disk scans.
5.) Clean reinstalling Windows, multiple times.

Thanks for reading/looking. I hope someone can find what I cannot.

Solution
so much for fixing that with a new ssd. I unmarked question as solved
passes prime 95
passes memtest
replaced ssd

still getting same error. its unusual to get the same BSOD on two different drives if its caused by software, but running out of hardware to look at.

if its software my guess would be these based on age of drivers alone.
Jun 17 2009PTSimBus.sysPenTablet Bus Enumerator driver (Shenzhen Huion Animatzon Technology Co.,Ltd)
Jun 22 2012PTSimHid.sysWacom PenTablet Hid MiniDriver

There should be newer versions of these
Jul 14 2016rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver

Colif

Win 11 Master
The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen of Death is caused whenever the page frame number (PFN) list becomes corrupted. The PFN is used by your hard drive to determine the location of each one of your files on the physical disk.

What ssd/nvme/hdd do you have?

Reactions: xenthia
Nov 26, 2020

I actually just bought a new SSD about a week ago, thinking that my old storage HDD was bringing conflict. However, I have not changed my main drive. (Was thinking about installing Windows on the new one and removing my main as a test, actually!)

Here:
Main Drive: WD 3D NAND 500GB M.2 2280
Secondary Storage Drive: WD 1TB 3D NAND SSD

Nov 26, 2020

Funny you mention that, because I've tried the WD Dashboard. What are you looking for? Firmware is up-to-date and it doesn't report anything unusual in terms of health.
I'll run the longer SMART diagnostic to see if it comes up with anything this time, still.

Edit: Still no problems detected by WD.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I figure its unlikely to be windows after a few installs.
its unlikely to be ram after 2 types tried
if you keep getting same error its only so many things.
Storage is where page file is.
only other things memory related are CPU(memory controller) and PSU (only as everything relies on PSU)

What PSU do you have? not suspecting it, its just an unknown.

I will get the dumps read, it might show something. Person who I ask is asleep but there are others who might as well.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/x6na473y/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:112620-6765-01.dmp (Nov 26 2020 - 20:04:20)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:112120-6187-01.dmp (Nov 21 2020 - 15:58:09)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:112020-10718-01.dmp (Nov 21 2020 - 02:32:59)
Uptime:4 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File information:112120-6187-01(1).dmp (Nov 21 2020 - 15:58:09)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)
Comment: ntkrnlmp.exe is Windows itself. It is listed because Windows couldn't find a driver to blame. It's not the cause though.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/
You are using the latest stable BIOS available for the system. There is a newer beta but we usually don't recommend updating to them unless you have a specific need to do so. In addition you may have a CPU not compatible with the beta.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
First error mentions PSHED. I never knew what it meant but now i see its the Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
Now I often see it in association with ntoskrnl and hal.dll. in WHEA errors.
error happened after this action - MiDeleteNonPagedPoolPte+0x1c257b
non paged pool is an error of ram used by drivers only. pte = page table entry
2nd yes i see mouse actions.
3rd is a very similar to error one.
4th is a duplicate of 2nd, so really only 3 crashes.

one possibly caused by mouse identified by Driver verifier, the game of Russian roulette with your PC made by Microsoft... will it boot loop. Are you feeling lucky? nvm, not a real question.

other 2 happened after trying to remove something from ram.

surprised windows doesn't have a problem with these due to tehir age
Jun 17 2009PTSimBus.sysPenTablet Bus Enumerator driver (Shenzhen Huion Animatzon Technology Co.,Ltd)
Jun 22 2012PTSimHid.sysWacom PenTablet Hid MiniDriver

those are about only drivers i find suspect. Anything before 2015 isn't a win 10 driver.

Nov 26, 2020

Yeah, I don't think anything has raised my blood pressure more than Driver Verifier. I haven't bothered with it since then, though.

I can try to see if UGEE (The company that makes my graphics tablet) has any updated versions of their driver, though it was hell to find the one I have even from their website.

After I read the analyzed dump files gardenman posted I did notice the weird Wacom MiniDriver and did some minor digging into that one. (Loved those, btw--So much easier to read than WinDbg) It says third party but apparently Windows uses it as some kind of prepatory driver for eventual Wacom drivers...? So weird. I'm going to see if I can either update it or just get rid of it.

Before that though, let me see when I got the UGEE tablet so I can place it properly in the timeline here--2018, so before I even built my current system. Meh.

Alright, I'll try what I mentioned.

Nov 26, 2020
PTSimBus.sys is in DriverStore so he's here to stay.
I murdered PTSimHid.sys. Saw no point in some Wacom mini driver.

I reinstalled the software for my tablet but despite the date listed on the site, the drivers aren't as new.

This bsod has a habit of appearing every 3-4 days so I'm expecting it to occur again tomorrow or Monday. I'm usually not on my tablet when it does though. Often idle. Guess we'll see.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@gardenman dump 112520 hasn't been converted, its in the sysnative file above

OS: Windows 10 Pro. Vers. 10.0.19042 Build 1904 (Note: I originally had Home when this all started. I upgraded.)
Mobo: Asus PRIME B450-Plus (Bios Ver. 2202, 7/14/2020)
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 (Note: Before, as mentioned, I had a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (Originally Ballistix Sport LT 16GB before replacing them with current in September, believing RAM was my issue.)
PSU - EVGA 500 BR 100-BR-0500-K1 500W ATX12V

anything else?
some things less likely since you tried 2 lots of ram, for instance.

I feel is unlikely its windows at this point
Can't really test Motherboard.
Ram - Memtest run before, how many times? Tried out new ram?
SSD- You installed on new one yet? Having spares is best way to isolate the cause.
CPU -

it looks like it started happening in July, after I installed my new GPU. I can't really tell if it's the GPU though, and I've used DDU to uninstall the drivers from the previous GPU and this one just recently.

GPU - Could you put old GPU in and see if it makes any difference, if problems started to happen after you swapped cards. i have seen swapping GPU cause other parts of system to fail, it could be the change in power consumption is enough.
other tests of GPU are benchmarks but if you have 2 GPU, swapping them is a good test too.
PSU -
Problem with system info is its wiped when you do a version update and as you on version 20H2, yours only shows November. As does mine. where is this year going?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/uzyr9c4h/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:112520-6406-01.dmp (Nov 26 2020 - 02:16:30)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for LGSUsbFilt.Sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LCore.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2020

The annoying thing about this BSOD happening every 3-4 days is it's like a stress meter whenever you try something new, as you have to wait to see if it worked. Ha.

I ran Memtest on both sets but not as long on the newer set. I can run it overnight tonight and see if anything pops up.

Can run Prime after Memtest tomorrow.

I don't have access to my older GPU since it's in a friend's PC now, but I can always run integrated for a few days. We can try that after the Prime tests?

Going to ask a friend if they have a multimeter, otherwise I can probably try the third option for testing the PSU.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I haven't switched Windows over to the new SSD. There's a lot to try here, so I'm trying to decide what to do first...though honestly, the new SSD is larger so it might be better in the long run anyway. All of this may take several days to see any changes, but I'll keep you updated at each step.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020

Update: Decided on how I wanted to go about everything.

I just installed Win10 on the new SSD. Took the M.2 out for now. Also probably means that if the BSOD returns, it will likely be another 3-4 days.

Currently running the blend stress test with Prime. If it fails, then as directed I'll run Memtest. I'm also going to put off reinstalling software/drivers that I don't need for the time being, like the tablet drivers. Can draw on paper for now. :^)

Nov 26, 2020
Update: Ran Prime over night, passed all tests. Will run Memtest over night, and a friend has a multimeter so we'll test the PSU when he comes around. If nothing comes up between the three of these tests and it happens again, I'll run integrated for a few days.

Colif

Win 11 Master
between rainy stormy days and yesterday being my Birthday, I haven't been able to get in as much

last BSOD was blaming Logitech gaming software but as it was on an older install, until you crash again, we won't know if its fixed.

Nov 26, 2020

Right.
I'll keep updating when things change. If nothing happens in 10-ish days I'll mark this as solved by switching the SSD. Should probably look into resurrection rules if it does show up later, though...

Thank you for all the help so far, though.

Nov 26, 2020

Sometimes you just kinda give up and ask yourself if you can just live with the problem. I definitely asked myself that after buying new RAM and the new SSD (before the recent switch from the m.2) as I worried my CPU or MOBO had gone bad...And I'd already spent too much money on the situation.

I think it's been long enough since the SSD switch that I can say we're in the clear. I'll go ahead and mark this as solved for now. Thank you for all the suggestions, and your patience.

Reactions: Colif
Nov 26, 2020

Well, the inevitable happened. Just took a lot longer.
Got back from work and noticed I'd reset. Was hoping for a rogue update, but I checked for a dump just in case and found one.

Dump File

Starting to worry it's my mobo or something. (Also, I remove the solved thing right?)

Edit: Started thinking...This BSOD is always random. Logitech drivers for this mouse crashed in Verifer...Logitech drivers were also at fault for another BSOD when the official drivers weren't even on my system. (Dump file before this one.)

I have the original MX518...Not the new "Legendary" one. Could it be the mouse...? The scroll wheel is going out so I was about to start looking for a new one regardless. This mouse is at least 9-10 years old, possibly older if my ex used it for a while before handing it down to me.

Mental, if it is.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/w1tfy56a/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:121820-6437-01.dmp (Dec 18 2020 - 20:50:58)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.