[SOLVED] BSOD in Normal boot, but not in Safe mode.

Mar 1, 2021
Hi, all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but, I couldn't find a case as similar to mine, hence, I'm gonna be posting a new thread.
Since yesterday, I've been getting BSODs about 1-10 mins after Windows starts up. And this does not happen under any load (Sometimes it happens when Idle, sometimes when I'm on the browser etc.)

Now, the weird thing is that, when I'm on Safe Mode with Networking, I never got a BSOD (I've been on Safe Mode for the past 8 hours - still no BSOD).
I've tried the following to no avail - 1. Uninstalling Graphics card drivers using DDU 2. Swapping RAM sticks 3.Uninstalling AVAST Antivirus 4. Removed my HDD (with the SSD still mounted)

This is a new PC setup that I got 5 months back so I choose to not believe that any of the parts are suddenly failing or dying.
I really hope there's someone who can help me :(

Specs:
Motherboard - ASUS EX-B460M-V5
Intel i5-10400, 2.90Ghz
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Zotac GeForce 1660 Super
8GB RAM
PSU - 550W Cooler Master

Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

if bsod caused by drivers, it explains why safe mode is fine.
Hi, all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but, I couldn't find a case as similar to mine, hence, I'm gonna be posting a new thread.
Since yesterday, I've been getting BSODs about 1-10 mins after Windows starts up. And this does not happen under any load (Sometimes it happens when Idle, sometimes when I'm on the browser etc.)

Now, the weird thing is that, when I'm on Safe Mode with Networking, I never got a BSOD (I've been on Safe Mode for the past 8 hours - still no BSOD).
I've tried the following to no avail - 1. Uninstalling Graphics card drivers using DDU 2. Swapping RAM sticks 3.Uninstalling AVAST Antivirus 4. Removed my HDD (with the SSD still mounted)

This is a new PC setup that I got 5 months back so I choose to not believe that any of the parts are suddenly failing or dying.
I really hope there's someone who can help me :(

Specs:
Motherboard - ASUS EX-B460M-V5
Intel i5-10400, 2.90Ghz
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Zotac GeForce 1660 Super
8GB RAM
PSU - 550W Cooler Master
Remove the gpu and plug the monitor into the mobo....test.

Mar 1, 2021
Hey. So I've tried removing the GPU and plugging to the Motherboard but the problems still persists. I checked for latest windows updates as well and saw that the latest Windows update done was about 2 weeks back so I don't think that's the issue.

Also, I've done a fresh install of Windows 10 and it didn't help!
Try this.
No gpu..........use the igp.
Disconnect from the internet.
Install windows.
Boot the machine.
Let the machine sit and see if it errors.
If not run the windows ram test and then chkdsk......see if it errors.
Use gpe and block driver updates from winupd.
Delay windows updates.
Connect to the internet and visit the mobo maker's site.
Install the latest bios....non beta....and other drivers.
Test.

Safe mode runs with an absolute minimum of drivers and started apps.
Look at your started tasks first, and disable anything that should not be there.
You will find the list in task manager.

You might also look to see if there are any motherboard bios updates that address your issues.
Do not update based on just speculation.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

if bsod caused by drivers, it explains why safe mode is fine.

Solution
Mar 1, 2021
Hi, everyone. I've given my PC to a repair shop for the moment. But even he is extremely perplexed by what is going on. If he's unable to rectify the issue, I'll follow your instructions and update here.

Mar 1, 2021
Hi, everyone. So the technician wasnt able to solve the issue. I have done a few things myself after it came back from the technician's. I ran MemTest86 and it passed. Then, I ran the CrystalDiskInfo to test my SSD and it passed as well.
Now, whenever I run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, there's always two things that happen: Either it goes to BSOD after a few seconds, or, it shows up FAIL on "Prime Numbers".

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will ask a friend to look but if you getting a fail on Intel Processor Diagnostic Test, the dumps probably won't help fix it. I don't know if you can fix it, all the results on Intel site with that error are told its a hardware problem and if CPU is within warranty to RMA it.

Do you have the latest BIOS as that might help. If not, grab it and rerun IPDT again and see if it still fails

can run Prime 95 and get a 2nd opinion
- https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 How to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Mar 1, 2021
Thank you. Please let me know, if your friend has taken a look and can find any valuable resolution from the dumps. Meanwhile, I will contact Intel and see what they say. Really, I appreciate your time!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/76nh34jw/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:030721-8140-01.dmp (Mar 7 2021 - 01:07:29)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File information:030721-7468-01.dmp (Mar 6 2021 - 23:21:30)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:030721-19375-01.dmp (Mar 7 2021 - 08:39:08)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:030721-18156-01.dmp (Mar 6 2021 - 14:00:50)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:030721-14640-01.dmp (Mar 7 2021 - 08:51:58)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WerFault.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Comment: With the WHEA errors, and references to GenuineIntel, I would say the issue is the CPU as already pointed out. Either that, or the motherboard. Remove any overclocks and overclocking software and test more. If that doesn't help, then try sending the CPU back, as stated above.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/CSM/EX-B460M-V5/

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS