Question BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Constantly

Jan 27, 2021
Description of the issue:

My web pages will constantly crash, until my computer eventually just bluescreens. The most common BSOD I get is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", though I do get some other ones like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA or MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.
This has been happening consistently, at least a couple times a day, ever since I have gotten this computer built.

My computer does not crash ever if I am running the web page / program in full screen mode. It only crashes on windowed mode. My computer used to have more issues, which I was able to find that it was my motherboard. I have since changed my motherboard, but I am still getting the three issues stated above. It does not crash when playing ANY games. It will ONLY crash when I am in applications that are not in full screen.

These BSOD will sometimes happen when I first boot my computer, though rarely, and most of the time it will be the IRQL one.

What I have done:

• Update every driver in device manager
  • Change my motherboard
  • Run memtest (It found 0 errors, though someone has told me that my RAM could still have issues)
  • Reset my computer completely
  • Re install windows
  • Switch parts of my computer with my friend's, which were all compatible. I have tried: RAM, GPU, SSD, HDD. My PC was still crashing after every part. We did not try the CPU because his CPU was not compatible with mine.
  • Update my BIOS
  • Check that the memory was matching on my BIOS
  • Check that the voltages were fine in my BIOS
My assumption:

- It is most likely a physical issue somewhere on one of my part, but I want to know which one so I can replace it.

This is a big issue for me because I am now unable to use my computer for school or work, and I am forced to use some <Mod Edit> laptop because my computer has become highly unstable. I want to avoid having to run a driver verifier and brick my computer as I still use it and need it every day, and multiple people I have asked have told me it is probably a faulty part, without any more help.

My build:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - WINDOWS IS ON THIS DRIVE
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PowerColor Radeon RX 570 4 GB Red Dragon Video Card

No I am not overclocking anything to my knowledge. I have checked multiple times to see if anything was being overclocked.

.dmp files from my last BSODs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XjCkxuh6EjRS7-X6e5AJIbEUkfOYJPfS/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_uCp034C1UF77uta72zl787c7h5jRyy/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbl5N7k4PCSjgbCioTXZkMdx30I8rafp/view?usp=sharing

edit: my computer just crashed while trying to write this post

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2021
New BSOD today

On Thu 1/28/2021 1:23:00 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012821-9734-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdfilter.sys (0xFFFFF80547137110)
Bugcheck code: 0x135 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFE823390E9B0, 0xFFFFF80547137110, 0xFFFFC40B41010D20)
Error: REGISTRY_FILTER_DRIVER_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wdfilter.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft antimalware file system filter driver
Bug check description: This bugcheck is caused by an unhandled exception in a registry filtering driver.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 1/28/2021 1:46:24 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012821-9484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x2, 0xFFFF8103007C5E60, 0xFFFF8103007C5DB8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I have never seen these before, can anyone help?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its nice to see who crashed blame something other than ntoskrnl for a change, but wdfilter is part of Windows Defender.
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. Itis the victim, not the cause. Who crashed always shows what crashed, very rarely what caused it.

I will ask a friend to convert dumps.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/vj2h4eaz/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:012721-9687-01.dmp (Jan 27 2021 - 02:28:28)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: opera.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:012721-9328-01.dmp (Jan 27 2021 - 09:49:58)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:012721-10125-01.dmp (Jan 27 2021 - 09:56:26)
Bugcheck:REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Teams.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:012621-9171-01.dmp (Jan 26 2021 - 14:05:37)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)

File information:012621-8734-01.dmp (Jan 26 2021 - 17:15:41)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MoUsoCoreWorker.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/
There are BIOS updates available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't see reference by pointer very often
3 of the processes that crashed are internet related
Opera
Discord
MoUsoCoreWorker.exe which is part of windows update.

i suspect its the lan drivers. Try running this https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html and see if it finds new LAN drivers

newer chipset drivers on Asus website. 2 newer bios but they mostly for 5000 series CPU - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/helpdesk_download/

Jan 27, 2021
Hi. I ran driver verifier and figured out that my mouse driver was crashing my computer. I got rid of it, and it does not crash on boot anymore, and it will crash slightly less often. I am still running it as I am typing this, and no BSOD so far. Here are my latest BSOD.

PS: These BSOD have happened AFTER I have un installed my mouse drivers.

The mouse I am using is a razer deathadder btw.

I will try to do what you have pointed out in your replies above.

On Sun 1/31/2021 4:00:47 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013121-9218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF80613543E3F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80613543E3F, 0xFFFF888D008675B8, 0xFFFF888D00866DF0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Sun 1/31/2021 2:25:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013121-9015-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFC1846415D220, 0xFFFFC1846415D178, 0x0)
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/30/2021 5:38:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013021-9375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (0xFFFFF800453BBCC2)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF800453B40C0, 0xFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800453BBCC2)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
Could this be a hardware problem, such as my SSD, or RAM? My previous motherboard was broken and gave me even more BSOD, and this new one does not give me them anymore, but it some still happen. There seems to be multiple things wrong with my computer

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you share the minidump files each time you crash as they might show the causes

amdppm.sys
amdppm is part of windows used to talk to CPU. Its responsible for the power plans

did you update chipset drivers? BIOS might help as well. One of our users suspects there is a problem with the chipset drivers and BIOS for people with 3600 on B450 boards. So updating the software there might help.

Jan 27, 2021
I've updated everything that was available on that page besides BIOS.
The LAN drivers were up to date and did not update, the other ones did their thing and asked me to restart my pc.

I am currently waiting for a crash. No crash since I have updated them, though my web page has crashed a couple times (This usually will happen 3 or 4 times, then my computer will BSOD).

Pls note that this mobo is new, I had updated BIOS on my old motherboard (gigabyte x570) and it didnt fix anything, but that motherboard was literally just broken.
If I get another BSOD, I will post the minidump here and try updating BIOS

here are the minidump files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xOcyv_oHWCrP63Yti1P9V0cJnJzLyj77/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCGkJbCBE1DSrVQ85g-6os5N4oHBpzOf/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RptA10cJGNqYVUsTI4TVfp4-bwV4cFc_/view?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/y1z2v3xb/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:013121-9812-01.dmp (Jan 31 2021 - 15:53:19)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Teams.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:013121-9437-01.dmp (Jan 31 2021 - 13:21:13)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:013121-9218-01.dmp (Jan 31 2021 - 16:00:47)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SecurityHealthSystray.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:013121-9015-01.dmp (Jan 31 2021 - 14:25:17)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:013021-9375-01.dmp (Jan 30 2021 - 17:38:09)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its blaming defender for the 3rd crash. Windows files don't cause BSOD... something odd here.

Switch parts of my computer with my friend's, which were all compatible. I have tried: RAM, GPU, SSD, HDD. My PC was still crashing after every part. We did not try the CPU because his CPU was not compatible with mine.
so much for suggesting scanning ssd/hdd.

windows doesn't corrupt itself. several things can
bad ram - checked on memtest & qlv
Bad storage - swapped out, still BSOD
Bad CPU -
try running Prime 95 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
Bad PSU -
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
or multimeter, best choice as can check under load
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
Motherboard - No tests . You check everything else and if its all right, its probably mb.

I don't like probably. I would get PC tested by a repair store before guessing which part it is.

Jan 27, 2021
Hi, thanks for your response. I haven't had a crash yet since my last reply. I will keep monitoring the situation. If my pc crashes again tomorrow, I will come back here and try your solutions.

If my PC doesn't crash at all tomorrow, or Tuesday, I will come back and mark your answer from earlier as the best answer

Though I will note:

I have noticed that sometimes, when I boot my computer, windows defender will not start. This was happening on my old motherboard as well, on both windows I had (I have tried re installing a completely new copy of windows before)

Jan 27, 2021
On Mon 2/1/2021 12:56:02 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020121-11265-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x46, 0x100000000, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.

On Mon 2/1/2021 12:56:02 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!RtlTraceDatabaseValidate+0x4C63)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x46, 0x100000000, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.

On Mon 2/1/2021 12:53:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020121-10765-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x4830FFFFF8005C9F)

These are the last ones I'll post, sorry this is causing a lot of trouble to you guys. I will probably just try to find someone in real life who can look at my computer

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FhQI4DBaqhOsAYc0TKvPujP8McpQ9gSJ/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
no pain caused. We keep trying to find an answer.

wait and see what dumps show.

did you ever try running Ubuntu Live USB and see test hardware using it. If you get errors in 2 different operating systems its not a windows problem

gardenman

Splendid
No trouble here. You don't really need to post the WhoCrashed results since our software really shows more info from the dumps.

Results: https://jsfiddle.net/s570coL1/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:020121-11265-01.dmp (Feb 1 2021 - 12:56:02)
Bugcheck:BAD_POOL_CALLER (C2)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:020121-10765-01.dmp (Feb 1 2021 - 12:53:51)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: backgroundTaskHost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

Jan 27, 2021
No I have not tried that next thing I will try is to see if it is CPU problem if not Im gonna switch out my ram sticks 1 by 1 to see what happens

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have noticed that sometimes, when I boot my computer, windows defender will not start. This was happening on my old motherboard as well, on both windows I had (I have tried re installing a completely new copy of windows before)
windows defender did crash in one of the errors. strange for it to happen on 2 different motherboards. Problems like that should be isolated to an install. See if any of this helps (Don't download anything) - https://windowsreport.com/windows-defender-windows-10-problems/

Did you ever run Prime 95? it tests ram and CPU.

Jan 27, 2021
I'm curious can you view your windows update history and correlate that back to when the crashes started for you? See here
No, I have re installed windows twice
It has crashed on both
This has been crashing since the beginning

My friend IRL told me it is probably my RAM so I am going to change it and then see if that does well

Jan 27, 2021
I have somewhat found a way to force my pc to bluescreen

If my web page crashes, and I keep hitting refresh my pc will eventually BSOD
Same thing with other programs; for example; I was on some music program called "Bitwig" and my plugins kept crashing; I keep refreshing them until my PC eventually just bluescreens. My PC is telling me to CHKDSK but windows is finding no errors

all of these are on my SSD C: so my drive is either corrupted or my RAM has hardware problem