BSOD loop, no recovery disk

Merklemore3D

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi folks!
I have a custom PC (dated, built in 2013). I am fairly certain the motherboard is going bad, but I'm hoping I can salvage it for a bit longer.

The computer is stuck in an endless blue screen loop. Unless I force a shutdown, it boots, blue-screens, then reboots, blue-screens again, etc. I have Windows 7 on the PC, but no recovery or installation disk anymore. I was going to try and create one on a blank disk using my laptop to try and repair the PC, because startup recovery and system restore have not worked, and I can't boot into safe mode for some reason. However, my laptop runs Windows 10, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

If I make a recovery disk by making a copy of Windows 10, will that even help my PC? Could it theoretically just upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 and maybe buy me some more time? Or will I make the whole problem worse? If it's the latter, is there any other way to make a W7 recovery disk?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

richpixel

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
You could use the laptop to create a win 10 disc with the media creation tool, but as you say it will upgrade win 7 to win 10.

If you have a win 7 product key you can download a win 7 iso from the ms site, just google win 7 home/pro iso whichever you have installed, burn it then try a repair

Merklemore3D

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

Thank you for your response! I created a Windows 10 install disk and managed to boot from the disk on the bad computer, but unfortunately, nothing has worked. I had a feeling this day was coming eventually, so I'm working on hashing out a new build. Thanks again for your help!