[SOLVED] BSoD Loop So Bad, Can't Even Move Around In BIOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
I have no clue what's going on with my computer. I was playing games yesterday, then I went to go grab something and then I come back to my PC blue screening with the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, it threw the tcpip.sys file saying that was the culprit, but I haven't even been able to get back into Windows since then. My computer is on a constant restart loop and has failed so many times that it's at the Preparing Automatic Repair, but it freezes at that point and will never move on to the next step. I then wanted to change some BIOS settings as well as the boot order to load my Windows 10 USB Install to try and repair it. I will be able to get in the BIOS for under 10 seconds, then my PC restarts, I am able to get into the BIOS again but then it's frozen. My mouse and keyboard become unresponsive and I just can't do anything. I just want to backup my SSD before wiping it, so just a clean install isn't really an option for me. No PC upgrades have been made, and I have not touched the components.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k
MOBO: Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
SSD: HP S600 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Solution
The chances of a faulty CPU are about 1 in 5000. CPUs simply don't fail unless they've been excessively overclocked, not provided sufficient cooling, dropped on a very hard surface from a significant distance or shorted out because something ELSE was screwed up (Or grid surge).

The chances of one that was functional, just suddenly becoming not-functional, are basically almost zero, if not zero. CPUs rarely fail unless you do something to make them fail.

You have never mentioned what the model of your power supply is OR how long it has been in service, and that's likely something that could be very relevant.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Running Memtest86 right now, I have not been even able to start the tests. I made it to the Config/Exit screen once and it froze there. Now it just freezes on the the testing multiprocessor support. I'm not sure if this freezing issue is indicative of a RAM problem. I'm getting very annoyed by this. It also turns out I didn't have an extra 1151 socket motherboard like I had thought, only have 1150 boards. Really sucks, going to look into RMA'ing the board even though it might not be the problem. I believe I might just be within the 3-year window.

I'm out of warranty by only a few months. Shoot, really hoping I can narrow this down so I'm not just blindly purchasing new parts.

There is only one way I know of to narrow things down, and that's using the bench testing methodology I posted a link to earlier. Aside from that, there is really no way to "test" a motherboard. Eliminate everything else and if all that's left is the motherboard, then that is likely the problem.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
There is only one way I know of to narrow things down, and that's using the bench testing methodology I posted a link to earlier. Aside from that, there is really no way to "test" a motherboard. Eliminate everything else and if all that's left is the motherboard, then that is likely the problem.

Just purchased a new motherboard from Amazon, hopefully that's the issue. If it's not the motherboard I can at least return it since Amazon has great return policies and then figure out whether it's the CPU, PSU, or RAM. I still doubt it's the RAM, because I swapped with good sticks and it still had freezes/BSODs.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017

Alright, I have taken my motherboard out of my case with only 1 stick of RAM and the boot drive attached. I am still receiving blue screen errors. My CPU is still in warranty so if my new Mobo comes in and it's still not the solution, at least I can get my CPU serviced. Maybe this benchmark conclusion can help you understand it better.

The chances of a faulty CPU are about 1 in 5000. CPUs simply don't fail unless they've been excessively overclocked, not provided sufficient cooling, dropped on a very hard surface from a significant distance or shorted out because something ELSE was screwed up (Or grid surge).

The chances of one that was functional, just suddenly becoming not-functional, are basically almost zero, if not zero. CPUs rarely fail unless you do something to make them fail.

You have never mentioned what the model of your power supply is OR how long it has been in service, and that's likely something that could be very relevant.

Solution

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017

EVGA 650w 100-N1-0650-L1 is my power supply and it's been in service just as long as the other parts, about 3 years. That's probably something I'll test tomorrow, I had just figured that if a power supply was bad the PC wouldn't even turn on. But after reading some more I can see that that is not always the case. I also saw what you mentioned about the CPU, yeah very rare that it would fail. If it turns out to be the power supply, I'll just cancel the motherboard order.

Last edited:
Replace that power supply, whatever you do. The EVGA N1 units are among some of the worst possible units you could get from any well known brand. They are literally as bad, or worse, than the old Corsair CX units used to be. I would not even bat an eye if the PSU turned out to be the problem in this case.

It wouldn't hurt you at all to read this:

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Replace that power supply, whatever you do. The EVGA N1 units are among some of the worst possible units you could get from any well known brand. They are literally as bad, or worse, than the old Corsair CX units used to be. I would not even bat an eye if the PSU turned out to be the problem in this case.

It wouldn't hurt you at all to read this:

Got my new power supply in today. That was not the issue. Still having the same problems, getting my motherboard in a few days. Will test if it’s that.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Got my new power supply in today. That was not the issue. Still having the same problems, getting my motherboard in a few days. Will test if it’s that.

Not the motherboard either, what the actual <Mod Edit> is going on here. I’ve put in new RAM sticks, I’ve tried a new PSU, I’ve tried a new motherboard, my SSD is perfectly fine, only things I haven’t tried is a new CPU and GPU. This so annoying

Last edited by a moderator:

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Just
Not the motherboard either, what the actual <Mod Edit> is going on here. I’ve put in new RAM sticks, I’ve tried a new PSU, I’ve tried a new motherboard, my SSD is perfectly fine, only things I haven’t tried is a new CPU and GPU. This so annoying
Just tried a new GPU, nothing. This leads me to believe I am the 1 in 5000 case that my CPU is busted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it could happen. But like I said, it's usually due to to something we've done to ourselves. It's so rare for a CPU to "just fail" that it's "almost" non-existent. But if you've eliminated everything else, then whatever is left, however improbable, has to be the problem.

ryangratzer2000

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Don't expect to hear bad from me soon though, even if you reply. I just got my second Pfizer shot and I'm in fairly bad shape at the moment. I'll get back with you though when I am able.

Hi! It's been awhile since my last post. Just wanted to update this thread and say that I was talking to Intel and getting my CPU's warranty setup and the CPU arrived today. They replaced my i7-8700k with an i7-9700k and it works like a charm! It indeed was the CPU although it was still a very rare incidence I'm glad to finally have solved this issue.

I'm glad you GOT it solved. Nice. Happy to hear it. Honestly. So rare for a CPU to actually "fail" and the fact that Intel did you "right" is a damn good thing. Best of luck to you going forward ryangratzer.

In the future though, don't select your own post as the "best answer" as it is explicitly against the forum rules, even when it IS actually the best answer. Anyhow, good luck to you.