[SOLVED] BSOD, mostly new computer. Triggers by wow

Oct 15, 2020
Hello, first post here.
I bought new parts, mostly. I used some parts from my old (2015) prebuilt Asus predator pc. I used the m.2 ssd (containing windows).
  • Cpu cooling fan.
  • 1TB older non ssd drive
This is what i bought new:
Intel i5 9600k
XPG 2600mxh DDR4 ram. (2 x single stick of 8gb each. The store did not have any pairs.)(same hz on both)
Geforce TUF Gaming 1660 6gb
Crucial MX 500 (500gb ssd)
Cepter Prime 550W Power supply
ROG strix Z390-H Gaming
TP-Link Archer T4E Wi-fi pci-E
New case: Cepter Skin Mid Tower

I installed all the components and it looked like everything was fine. Had to change a SATA cable to the ssd and it was all good. I played Devision 2 on full graphic, Wolfenstein: young Blood. No problem.
When i started World of warcraft it crashes within 5-10 minutes. BSOD: Machine_check_exeption. This happens everytime i play wow. It has crashed a few times in windows (no games active) But hat is rare.
Some times i get the error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
Program:E/World Of Warcraft/_retail/wow.exe
ProcessID: 7752
ThredID: 12468
Exection: Access_violation
The instruction at «0x00007ffc54845cc2» referenced memory at «0x0000000000002c0»
The memory could not be «read»
This crash only happen a few times, the computer did not crash when this happened.

Tempratures is within normal range. CPU: 68, GPU: 75, HDD: 32 (under heavy load). I have not overclocked anything. Everything in bios is default.
It seems like it is the memory but. I have tried running single sticks and swaped them. Same BSOD.
I dont expect both of the memory sticks bought in 2 different packs are faulty.
I have tried reinstalling Windows and Wow. I have updated the bios and chipset. Tried to move Wow back and forth between the 1TB disc and the 500gb disc.
I have updated Windows.
I have run the windows dos thing that fixed win files tha are bad.
I have allready change the mother board, had a cheeper motherboard before. Same error. I have tried to use the old graphics card, same error. So seems to be either Ram (doubtful) cpu or software.

Anyone that can help me? I dont really want to go and buy a cpu just to find out the memory was the problem. Already bought a new motherboard, hoping it was the problem.

Last edited:
Solution
I figured it out in the end. The i5 9600K came overclocked. For some reason World of Warcraft did not like those overclock settings. I put everything to default in the bios. No bluescreens anymore.

Ralston18

Titan
This: "XPG 2600mxh DDR4 ram. (2 x single stick of 8gb each. The store did not have any pairs.)(same hz on both) "

My thoughts:

A matched set of RAM modules is necessary.

Both RAM sticks may be okay but they are just not playing well together when WOW is being run and may be demanding more from your build.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for additional error codes and warnings.

Observe system performance using either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Use each but only one a time.

Play a game that does not crash while observing system performance. Then play WOW but continue to observe.

Watch for some system resource (RAM perhaps) that hits a high % value and what is using that resource.

Oct 15, 2020
Tank you for many tools to monitor the computer. I will use them to try and troubleshoot. But it still crashes with only one RAM installed. If i use only one should it not fix the problem?

Oct 15, 2020
I figured it out in the end. The i5 9600K came overclocked. For some reason World of Warcraft did not like those overclock settings. I put everything to default in the bios. No bluescreens anymore.

Solution