[SOLVED] BSOD mostly on startup, different error every time

Nov 23, 2019
Hello,

Im getting bluescreens on startup on my laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 (i5-7300HQ, 1050TI) about 90% of the time. They sometimes occur when its already running but that is very rare.

Things i have tried:
Multiple clean installations of windows 10. Its better for a while after reinstalling. I have not installed anything atm except firefox and it didnt give me a BSOD for a couple days, but just started without me downloading anything else (except windows updates)

Memtest86 ran for like 4 hours without errors

Tried both ram slots

Dumpfiles:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p_CR9rtiq0kuQ-AIxmpTw-vGz8QUBvgU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rs-5AoPfAP33OXMQEW6YssIwRO4HEFTc

Any help is appreciated, let me know if you need more info :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
It has something to do with compressed memory. which is essentially ram, its how Windows stores programs you may have run recently but aren't running at the moment. Windows uses compression here as if you do open program again, its far faster to load from ram than any storage, it only writes it to hdd if you run out of space., or at shutdown.

You ran memtest and since you only have 1 stick, I don't need to ask if you ran it alone. Only 4 passes? might want to try a 2nd time

Having a bad stick of RAM flipping a bit at bad times can cause all sorts of errors, from drivers expecting a 0 and getting a 1, to the contents of the page-file not being quite what was expected, to general corruption of critical system files such as...
Quick dump look, further analysis necessary.
I just saw this pattern on someone else's dumpfiles oddly enough.

SYSTEM_MANUFACTURER: Acer
SYSTEM_PRODUCT_NAME: Nitro AN515-51
SYSTEM_VERSION: V1.13

BIOS_VENDOR: Insyde Corp.
BIOS_VERSION: V1.13
BIOS_DATE: 12/26/2017

BASEBOARD_MANUFACTURER: KBL
BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: Freed_KLS
BASEBOARD_VERSION: V1.13

Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
Processor Voltage 8ah - 1.0V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 3100MHz

[Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 000fh]

Size 8192MB
Form Factor 0dh - SODIMM
Device Set [None]
Device Locator ChannelB-DIMM0
Bank Locator BANK 2
Speed 2133MHz
Manufacturer 04CB
Part Number AO1P21FC8T1-BSKS

=================================================

OSBUILD: 18362
OSSERVICEPACK: 476

======

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)

PROCESS_NAME: System
MODULE_NAME: CI
IMAGE_NAME: CI.dll

======

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef)

PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

=================================================

Modules:

Intel

iaLPSS2i_GPIO2.sys...........Apr 19 2018
iaLPSS2i_I2C.sys.................Apr 19 2018
igdkmd64.sys.......................Sep 25 2019
IntcAudioBus.sys................Feb 7 2018
IntcOED.sys.........................Feb 7 2018

NVidia Driver

nvlddmkm.sys.....................Oct 30 2017

Driver for Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4/QCA9377 Network Adapter

Qcamain10x64.sys.............Aug 22 2018

Realtek 8125/8136/8168/8169 PCI/PCIe Adapters

rt640x64.sys........................Oct 22 2018

Colif

Win 11 Master
best source for atheros drivers - https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/

windows goes looking for drivers even if you don't, it may have installed them via windows store in background without you being aware, or via windows update.

Nvidia driver looks like the one that comes with windows 10. its pretty stable.

I have seen an Acer in recent days with similar errors, wonder if its the Intel display driver. That is whats showing as 1 cause in his PC. Your drivers are newer though.

Nov 23, 2019
It doesnt list Atheros on the supported devices list, am i missing something? Is atheros just another name for the killer devices? I will update my intel display driver when i get home.
Another question: Could it be a hardware problem, and if so how would i find out which part is defect?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It doesnt list Atheros on the supported devices list, am i missing something? Is atheros just another name for the killer devices? I will update my intel display driver when i get home.
Another question: Could it be a hardware problem, and if so how would i find out which part is defect?

I was going from what Cherry had shown, on looking at your device it does indeed have intel and realtek lan/wifi drivers, so I have asked a friend to convert dumps for me and we see if they really are showing or not.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7312?b=1&pn=NH.Q2SSV.007

unless you have an extra lan card in PC?
Have you ever used 3rd party driver updaters like Driver booster? as they can and will install the wrong drivers if given the chance.

I been busy or I would have replied by now.

Nov 23, 2019
I have to admit that i have used driver booster after like the third installation of windows because i was too lazy to reinstall all the drivers again. I have had the blueescreens way before that tho even directly after installing windows. But do drivers persist through reinstalling windows? I thought that would wipe them.. the laptop is second hand so maybe the first owner screwed something up. Do you have suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks for the replies so far

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you edit the language a little?

drivers can't survive a clean install. Is this the install you used DB on?

Are they always same error or different?
Page fault in non paged area - normally drivers, non paged area is ram, some parts of ram are just never written to page file.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

As I said, I have asked a friend to convert dumps but he is asleep right now so until I see the error text looks like, I don't want to guess :)

Nov 23, 2019
I will edit the language, im on mobile atm sorry. No the dumpfiles are from the most recent installation where i have done nothing except downloading firefox and doing windows updates. The error is different almost every time: the two i remember from the top of my head are kernel_security_check_failure and critical_process_died.
I have ran memtest86 to 4 passes already on my only ram stick, but i could do it again.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you didn't get any errors before, hold off until i get friend to look

critical process died is windows specific in that its a windows process that causes this error, but there are a few different files it can be caused by.
the other one is normally bad ram or drivers.

most of the bsod I see are drivers.

Stop, I was wrong... looking at your driver listing again, under the intel drivers I mentioned, you also find Atheros drivers. So lets rethink this killers driver thing.

Killer drivers are the best for Atheros cards even if they don't appear to be official , many motherboards now list them in the place of qualcomm. This explains it - https://hothardware.com/reviews/rivet-networks-qa-from-the-bigfoot-killer-nic-to-qualcomm-and-back

Nov 23, 2019
if you didn't get any errors before, hold off until i get friend to look

what do you mean? The 2 dumpfiles are from the BSODs that occured in the most recent installation. Edit: oh you meant memtest errors right?
But you are probably right we should wait for you friend to wake up :D

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://plutealwait.htmlpasta.com/

File information:123019-8125-01.dmp (Dec 29 2019 - 21:50:33)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:4 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

Possible System page: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NH.Q2REK.002
There is a BIOS update available for your system (Version 1.22). You are using version 1.13. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2019
I am running driver verifier right now, no bluescreen so far. Should i really only check non-microsoft drivers? Because in the last bsod it mentioned ntfs.sys which is a microsoft driver right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I assume you have stopped it now? If not, do so as if you don't get a BSOD after 8 hours or so, it is unlikely to be software. You shouldn't need to check Microsoft drivers using DV as there are ways to replace those.

see below
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

SFC replaces system drivers if they are wrong, the other command replaces the files SFC uses to check the loaded files. If 2nd command fails, there are ways to fix it.

Nov 23, 2019
Okay so i just got another crash, while trying to view a stream on twitch: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
So is this 100% sure that its a hardeware error? And if yes, is there a way to find out if its ram or ssd? Or would i just have to try it out with new ram-sticks and see if that helps?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://difficilecap.htmlpasta.com/

File information:010620-8484-01.dmp (Jan 5 2020 - 19:19:21)
Bugcheck:FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It has something to do with compressed memory. which is essentially ram, its how Windows stores programs you may have run recently but aren't running at the moment. Windows uses compression here as if you do open program again, its far faster to load from ram than any storage, it only writes it to hdd if you run out of space., or at shutdown.

You ran memtest and since you only have 1 stick, I don't need to ask if you ran it alone. Only 4 passes? might want to try a 2nd time

Having a bad stick of RAM flipping a bit at bad times can cause all sorts of errors, from drivers expecting a 0 and getting a 1, to the contents of the page-file not being quite what was expected, to general corruption of critical system files such as the registry.

Run memtest and replace the faulty stick if it finds one.

If it does not find one then it might be a random bit flip that happened somewhere in the chain of loading it back in, which is a little unlikely.
https://superuser.com/questions/134...orrupted-page-probably-caused-by-ntkrnlmp-exe

What brand is the ssd? Try running crystal disk mark on it and check its smart score. As if its not ram, it could be the ssd.

Solution