Question BSOD of hell. Gaming Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NerdyPastry

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
Hello,

I have a GT83VR6RF MSI gaming laptop. It's about 3 years old now, but the things has always ran without any issues. About 2 months ago the unit started giving BSOD while in Windows 10 and during various activities. I tried a number of things - including a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 and a BIOS uprade, but none of those fixed the issue permanently.

I had the unit shipped over to Poland - MSI's main depot for Europe, and there their technician had changed a faulty sound board, as they themselves said. The unit came back with a document stating various hardware checks were made and passed, however it is still giving off BSOD.

Any help is appreciated!

NerdyPastry

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
Tried a brand new installation of Windows on the system drive after giving it a format. The new installation of Windows went to BSOD withing 5 minutes of working, roughly around the time Windows is trying to detect the second GPU. I immediately went into diagnostic startup and uninstalled both video adapter and 3d controller drivers. Went back into normal startup and it was working alright. I installed the latest video drivers from Nvidia Experience, plus a small number of drivers and firmware from MSI's website, restarting in between each. With all that it was working alright, and I left it for some hours alone. Alas, it has frozen at some point in time. No BSOD, though.

If memtest86 runs without error, I would conclude that the laptop hardware is likely sound.
Laptops may have proprietary drivers, particularly for the keyboard and graphics.
I would look at reinstalling all of the drivers and other software available for your laptop.
Download it directly from msi.

Your dumps indicate a htoskrnl.exe failure.
That is the os nucleus.
A antivirus program could be involved; they can put hooks into the os.
I would uninstall any oem antivirus and revert to windows defender.