BSOD on my first PC build - help!

Mar 23, 2018
Hi Guys.

I just finished my first build, but am now having issue with the BSOD. Last night it would crash within 5 seconds of starting but gave no good details in minidump. I removed a ram slot and was able to boot long enough to upload the drivers. Once I installed the ram again, I ran memtest and got 100% passes so I thought maybe it was just a hiccup.

I booted it up today and tested out starcraft II and after maybe 30 minutes I got the BSOD again. Now I am getting the following from minidump. Any suggestions?

I have an intel core i7 8700k, Asus Prime z-370 p, and 16 gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident ram. The video card still hasn't arrived from Amazon, so all issues were using integrated graphics, and I'm running Windows 10.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: ffff960a69140028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000be000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000800400, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

CURRENT_IRQL: f

STACK_TEXT:
ffffa681`fa484ce8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

Followup: MachineOwner

Solution
second bugcheck was a intern memory management because a bogus memory address was used.
most likely to bad memory timing settings in bios. I would update the BIOS, or reset it to defaults, check the memory setting for your RAM are correct then boot memtest86 on its own boot image to confirm that the memory settings are correct.

you could also get this if your CPU was overheated so make sure the fans are spinning up.

I would change the memory dump type to kernel then provide c:\windows\memory.dmp file on the next bugcheck
it will show if something is wrong with plug and play, or USB subsystem.
(be sure to get the motherboard drivers installed)

---------------------
memory clock settings were unexpected:
Speed...
cpu called the bugcheck. This will not be related to your RAM chips.

(but can be related to the cache memory inside the cpu)

Most often this will be caused from overclocking a GPU or CPU.
(the overclocked GPU can pull too much power from the motherboard slot, then the motherboard protection logic kicks in and resets the CPU)

It can be a GPU, or cpu overclocking driver, (or in bios overclock) it can be a old BIOS version that does not know about the correct voltages/ clock rates for the newer cpus.

it can be heating or blocked fan to the CPU, GPU, or PSU.

if you get a chance, copy the c:\windows\minidump .dmp file to a server, share it for public access and post a link. I can take a look with a windows debugger.

you should also post the make and model of your PSU and GPU

Mar 23, 2018
It is a fresh OS install, and I'm a total noob and am not sure how to upload the minidump file to a server to share a link. Any advice with what I can try next? Maybe updating bios?

I restored the bios to factory settings (I ran the easy set up when I first got it together) and since then its been working fine, but we"ll see how long that lasts.

Still, if there's an issue with the CPU, I'd like to find it in time to return it if needed.

minidumps are stored at c:\window\minidump directory by default.
you would have to a cloud server account to copy them to. Like google docs, Microsoft onedrive or mediafire.
then you would have to share them for public access and post a link to the files.

for new builds, you want to make sure you have updated the bios and installed the motherboard drivers. this is important if you have a newly launched cpu like yours
(Launch Date Q4'17 ) make sure your bios is up to date (newer than the launch date of the CPU) Motherboards bios will tweak the voltage and clock rates to the pins of the CPU via bios updates. (it will also provide patches to known bugs for the cpu)

generally you don't want to install the utilites (overclocking drivers)
- make sure all the fans are connected and are running at full speed.
- make sure all supplemental power connections from the PSU to the GPU are connected.
- if you have a modular power supply, make sure both sides of the power connector are connected.
- sometimes when you make connections, it can push the connector out the back side of the plastic holder and you might not notice. (check all connectors, even the motherboard connectors)
- check to make sure all of the fans are spinning up.

provide the make and model of the psu and GPU
if the GPU does not get proper power, then the motherboard might reset the cpu. certain power supplies do not delay the restart of the CPU and cause the CPU to restart with low voltage which can cause this error.
Often this will show up in the memory dump

Mar 23, 2018
Ok, so I updated the BIOS, there was a new version available (0612, when factory came with 0610. The factory settings were from 01/11/2018, so they might have had the right info for my processor, but at least now I know I'm up to date). I will start looking into updating the motherboard drivers now too. I am thinking maybe I messed something up in the BIOS initially when I ran the EZ Wizard (and probably clicked something I shouldn't have), as it's been running smoothly ever since the factory reset.

I do not yet have a GPU other than the integrated GPU on the CPU, which according to Device Manager is an Intel(R) UHD 630. I do have a Nvidia GeForce 1080 in transit from Amazon, but am trying to get the system running while I wait.

Below are the two minidump files from my two crashes last night. Is there anything we can learn from these?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BcMsrNUBhICfZcPdgDVEa2ae30YzeX6w
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F_MmTJuqe5-5rPYHtlUCnghHEc5AZgZn

Thanks for your help guys.

second bugcheck was a intern memory management because a bogus memory address was used.
most likely to bad memory timing settings in bios. I would update the BIOS, or reset it to defaults, check the memory setting for your RAM are correct then boot memtest86 on its own boot image to confirm that the memory settings are correct.

you could also get this if your CPU was overheated so make sure the fans are spinning up.

I would change the memory dump type to kernel then provide c:\windows\memory.dmp file on the next bugcheck
it will show if something is wrong with plug and play, or USB subsystem.
(be sure to get the motherboard drivers installed)

---------------------
memory clock settings were unexpected:
Speed 2747MHz
Manufacturer G-Skill
Part Number F4-3000C16-8GTZR

the first bugcheck I could not read the bios info, the bugcheck was a watchdog timeout and the stack was zeroed out.
to debug it you would need to change the memory dump type from a minidump to a kernel memory dump.
only the kernel memory dump would contain the info needed for this bugcheck.

Be sure to update the motherboard sound driver from the motherboard vendors website. It could be messing up your sound driver for your CPU graphics support (all graphics drivers have to support sound for video cables that provide sound to monitors)

Solution