Question bsod on my sons pc

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
hay guys, a good friend of mine gave me his old pc ( he upgraded a year or 2 ago so had all this sitting around, said well sort a price when i get it up and running )

CPU intel 7700
GPU gigabyte 1080
RAM 2x 4gb ddr 4 2400 kingston hyperx fury
i have added the below
PSU be quiet 600 or 650w was on my pc before i upgraded to a better gpu
SSD a 1tb crucial p3 m2 SSD
COOLER is a cooler master hyper 212 black edition
have done a fresh install of windows 10
and just downloaded a few things to check temps etc, have downed fortnite as that's what he likes to play atm ( he is 10 reckons he'll kick my butt at fortnite, we shall see lol )
when ingame it will sometimes just randomly close fortnite, but most the time it will bsod

have swapped out his ram and used ram from my pc- didn't change nothing
few of the stop codes are
*kmode exception not handled what failed ntfs.sys -- believe this is GPU caused? have updated the drives for the gpu, what ill try later atfer work is try my 3080 in his pc and see how it goes
* irql driver_not_less_or_equal believe this is caused by drivers??
*system service exception nvlddmkm.sys driver issue?

after swapping GPUs what would be my next step to check?

appreciate any advice on what my next step would be

cheers

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would not try to run the 3080 on that 600-something watt power supply.

I see things suggesting both graphics drivers as well as RAM, as you have mentioned trying. I don't see the motherboard listed. What is it and what BIOS are you on?

Total side note here, 8GB really isn't enough for gaming anymore. IDK what the replacement set was unless I missed it.

Does Event Viewer or Reliability History show anything? dism/sfc?

Did you do a clean install of Windows on this PC as built or reuse a previous install?

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I would not try to run the 3080 on that 600-something watt power supply.

I see things suggesting both graphics drivers as well as RAM, as you have mentioned trying. I don't see the motherboard listed. What is it and what BIOS are you on?

Total side note here, 8GB really isn't enough for gaming anymore. IDK what the replacement set was unless I missed it.

Does Event Viewer or Reliability History show anything? dism/sfc?

Did you do a clean install of Windows on this PC as built or reuse a previous install?
ah good point ill try the 1080 ion my pc and see how it goes
MB is a gigabyte ga- h270 hd3
ill check bios version when i get home from work
he thought he had 2x8gb ram, turns out its 2x4 ill get some new 2x8 when i get this pc sorted
not sure on event viewer or reliability history, never really had issues with a pc so new to this
yeap brand new clean install of windows

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer and to a lesser degree take a look at Reliability History just to see if there is anything helpful being thrown.
Look up directions on running DISM and SFC commands.

I would make the assumption that the previous owner had the motherboard and CPU as a combo before handing that down to your son? Does this individual have any history of issues with the build? Perhaps even the reason they moved on?

Each of those errors all share that common 'driver issue' as part of the possible solution. The 7700 in this system has onboard graphics. I know it would be hard to load the machine without going into a game. I think I might try to remove the graphics card and try to run some synthetic benchmarks, perhaps Cinebench R15 (the older one) or maybe something like R20 or even CPU-Z simple bench test alongside something like Furmark (I think this will still run in the absence of a graphics card) and just leave it under load for a moment to see what happens.
I think I would run that with XMP and without. Given the speed of the listed RAM it is probably booting at 2133 and then XMP will make it the rated 2400, but it might be booting at that speed to start. As a side note, you could run MEMTEST or similar, but IMO I don't really feel like this is a memory issue specifically. You mention it doing the same thing(s) on a completely different set.

You mention monitoring temps, so keep an eye out for that while running the above mentioned stress testing. My thoughts would be that if you can run those trouble free without the card it starts to narrow things down.
Was this GPU previously yours? Do you know its history? (never mined with?) On this unit, given its age it might be worth considering loading in Afterburner and actually taking some power and core clock away from it to see if stability returns, of course pending the above testing results. I also think it might be worth consideration to let Windows load in the older MS signed graphics driver via "Update" instead of loading the newest one manually, just to see if anything changes.

Other things to consider, and IMO may or may not be part of the issue. Once you load in, what all is running? As in, what is the RAM load if you turn on, sign in and do nothing else but open Task Manager?
Do you have multiple launchers set to open with Windows? Have you gone through and pruned all the "run in the background" apps? Windows 10 has a LOT you can turn off, do away with, or just leave to start when YOU specifically open it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

The symptoms are of a graphics nature.

As a quick test of functionality,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

First, load the correct nvidia driver for GTX1080. Do not get confused with the similar sounding notebook versions.

Try running with the motherboard integrated adapter. You will need to have loaded the Intel graphics drivers.
That is easy to do, you are looking for functionality, not performance.

I might try replacing the psu with a known good quality replacement of sufficient wattage.
That is a pain to do, but if you have a psu issue, that is the only way.
Graphics cards can have very high instant power peaks. An older or low quality psu may not be able to handle it.
The result would match your symptoms.

Hyper 212 is hard to mount level.
Are your temperatures ok?
Run hwmonitor.
It will record current, minimum and maximum temperatures.
Look at the minimum.
If it is more than 10-15c. over ambient, the cooler may not be mounted well.
After a failure, look at the maximum for each core.
If you see 100c. in red, it means that you have throttled.
That is not bad so long as you keep running.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
hay guys thanks for the reply's, ben flat out with work and having anew born in the house, haven't had time to do much yet, had a play around after tea tonight

swapped the 1080 into my pc, went good no crashes or anything, even oc it a bit and still fine,
also used the older ram in my pc with no problems

tried using the ram from my pc and the older pc wouldn't boot, just kept on cycling, think i have narrowed it down to the motherboard, if i try use slots 1&3 or 2&4 it will crash/bsod but if i use just slot 4 it runs good with no crashes, doesn't mater if i use my ram or the older ram in slot 4 it will run, ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it comes up with faults ( if it doesn't crash before then ) will see if i can give the ram slots a blow out and make sure theres no crap in them, i will do the other things you guys suggested hopefully this weekend

sorry if i not making to much sense, lack of sleep is great lol

cheers

Ram issues are often caused by a bent pin in the cpu socket.
Lack of dual channel operation or bad ram sockets are common symptoms.
A bent pin can often be corrected using a needle if you are careful.
Be aware that the sockets are delicate and designed for only 15 insertions.