[SOLVED] BSOD on start up (first ever computer build)

Mar 8, 2020
Hi guys, i recently made my first ever build and things seemed to be great, however a few weeks in I've been getting BSOD upon start up. Most of the time it will turn on fine, however occasionally it will:
- turn on
-try to load windows and either BSOD or just black screen and restart; and then
- load windows and turn on (seemingly) fine.

Every crash report originally linked it to:

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation

However i just tried running driver verifier which lead to constant BSOD with the dump file linking this to
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\webshieldfilter.sys
product: Windows (R) Win 7 DDK driver
company: Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider

Who crashed shows me this:

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-VL2S57R
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7C02, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor AMD8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 17126600704 bytes (16.0GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 08/03/2020 17:40:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030820-7343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: webshieldfilter.sys (0xFFFFF80FE1004BC2)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80FE1004BC2, 0x0, 0x51544C46)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
description: WebShield WFP Driver (WPP)
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: webshieldfilter.sys (WebShield WFP Driver (WPP), Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: webshieldfilter.sys Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

On Sun 08/03/2020 17:40:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: webshieldfilter.sys (0xFFFFF80FE1004BC2)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80FE1004BC2, 0x0, 0x51544C46)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
description: WebShield WFP Driver (WPP)
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: webshieldfilter.sys (WebShield WFP Driver (WPP), Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: webshieldfilter.sys Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

On Tue 25/02/2020 22:44:50 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022620-7687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1510)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0x107, 0xA, 0xFFFFCF844DF5DD70, 0x0)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 24/02/2020 21:16:49 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022420-7250-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF930F23726080, 0x11, 0xFFFF930F23726080, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 20/02/2020 22:42:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022320-7156-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0x10E, 0xA, 0x9F2E, 0x82DB)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Wed 19/02/2020 22:03:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021920-13875-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80144646B97, 0xFFFF8008A0852D00, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

-------

But basically struggling to work out the issue and whether it is hardware or software. I have also ran a couple of passes on memtest86 and got no errors on that front.

If anyone could advise and help me learn to deal with this sort of issue going forward i would be really grateful!

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
Get rid of the antivirus software. It's not necessary anyhow. Windows defender, included with Windows 10, does a far better job than almost anything else out there, possibly better than ANYTHING else out there according to some recent test reviews, and absolutely doesn't use old obsolete frameworks or drivers like Total AV apparently does. Plus, it's free, so that's hard to beat.

I would fully uninstall it, then restart, and see if you have any further problems. If so, you may need to do a clean install of windows and then NOT reinstall it again.

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-defender-is-the-best-antivirus-around-claims-testing-lab
Not sure why you have the Windows 7 driver kit installed, but I would start by SPECIFICALLY making sure that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version, latest LAN and audio drivers from the motherboard product page and the latest AMD B450 chipset drivers from the AMD website.

If you have ANY hardware that you are using, or peripherals, that do not have Windows 10 compatible drivers and you are using Windows 7 drivers to try and run them, you may need to replace that hardware with something newer if you cannot find Windows 10 compatible drivers for it.

Did you do a clean install of Windows when you built this system or are you trying to run a previously used Windows OS with new hardware?

Reactions: RamenLord
Mar 8, 2020
Thanks for the response, definitely have the latest bios version, lan and audio drivers from the MSI website, to be honest, i have no idea what that even is or why its there??? it just came up when i ran who crashed and unsure how to proceed...im not overly clued up on the software side of things and what goes on behind the scenes so to speak.

It's a completely clean install of windows, everything clean, no carried over data etc.

Thanks for your quick response.

How about the chipset drivers? Did you install these?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Also, I'm assuming that you ARE running the 64bit version of Windows 10, not the 32bit version?

Can you list your FULL hardware specifications including model numbers for CPU, motherboard, memory kit, EXACT power supply model number, graphics card, all storage devices, etc?

Can you also provide a screenshot of the device manager page from the control panel applet?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7-ways-to-open-control-panel-in-windows-10.html

Mar 8, 2020
Yup, installed all from MSI website, but then checked AMD and Nvidia's websites for the latest drivers (built start feb so that was the latest driver chipset i installed. 64-bit windows

The full part list is as follows:

CPU, motherboard, memory kit, EXACT power supply model number, graphics card, all storage devices

Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB, DDR4, 3600 MHz (F4-3600C19D-16GVRB)
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO Graphics Card 8GB GDDR6, 1800MH
Storage: 1 TB Intel SSD 660P Series (SSDPEKNW010T8X1)
Power Supply: Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply

and sorry to clarify on the device manager screenshot did you want it all expanded?

Thanks again.

Mar 8, 2020
on another note, i appear to have found the origins of:

appears it is part of Total AV, the virus software i use. i have no idea why it uses a windows 7 driver as you say, but it gets installed that way when i install total av, no option to change it etc. I'd also highlight that the problem i was having occurred before i installed total av so i dont believe thats the root of the problem, for some reason, Driver verifier is just highlighting it.

Again, I'm learning so please let me know if i am missing something.

Many thanks

Get rid of the antivirus software. It's not necessary anyhow. Windows defender, included with Windows 10, does a far better job than almost anything else out there, possibly better than ANYTHING else out there according to some recent test reviews, and absolutely doesn't use old obsolete frameworks or drivers like Total AV apparently does. Plus, it's free, so that's hard to beat.

I would fully uninstall it, then restart, and see if you have any further problems. If so, you may need to do a clean install of windows and then NOT reinstall it again.

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-defender-is-the-best-antivirus-around-claims-testing-lab

Solution