Sep 24, 2023
I have been experiencing weird BSODs while playing certain games over the past year or year and a half. When the games I get the BSOD no crashdump file is created, making the issue incredibly challenging to diagnose. The games are No Mans Sky, Valheim, Battlefield 2042, and Baldurs Gate 3. I spent about a year troubleshooting by doing the following:

Updating Windows
Updating GPU Drivers
Updating Chipset Drivers
Updating BIOS
Updating Games
Updating everything I can think of
Running every possible standard benchmark I can think of including power. None of the benchmarks make my system crash, nor do heavy workloads in the other software I use.
Ensuring crashdumps are enabled and are working, When I simulate a crash with WhoCrashed software it works just fine, when the BSOD happens while gaming, nothing...
Monitoring Temp on GPU CPU and VRMS

I then one day stumbled upon a video talking about the Samsung 980 PRO M.2 drives getting locked into Read Only mode. I was using 2 of those drives in my system at the time. I promptly replaced those M.2 drives for some beefy WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe SSDs which immediately fixed my problem. No more BSODs for about 6 months.

Fast forward to just after the launch of Baldurs Gate 3, I have been playing co-op with a friend and as soon as we reached Act 2 in the game I began getting the same type of BSOD with no crashdumps again. So I went through all the normal troubleshooting steps I had done in the past and nothing seems to fix it. My drives are not locked into read-only mode either.

I am at a total loss on what to do, I cant afford a whole new system or to just start replacing one part at a time without even knowing what is failing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SYSTEM SPECS:
AMD 5950X CPU
ASUS PRIME X570 PRO Motherboard
32GB G.Skill RAM (4X8GB)
RTX 3080 12GBVRAM Gigabyte
Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum SE 240MM AIO
1X 1TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
1X 2TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
2X 2.5" 1TB SSDs WD and Samsung
1000W Corsair PSU Modular
NZXT H510 Elite Case

Colif

Win 11 Master
What drive is C drive? Dumps are saved onto it... is it either of the 2 WD drives?

Or is it one not replaced? If its another drive, which one?

did you run this on the 2 WD drives to see if they okay, just cause the no dumps thing generally does make me look at drives too - https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/31759/~/download,-install,-test-drive-and-update-firmware-using-western-digital

I am at a total loss on what to do, I cant afford a whole new system or to just start replacing one part at a time without even knowing what is failing
Its not a good idea to randomly choose things as the problem, it can lead to replacing entire PC and still having problems. I would be more inclined to get a repair store test it and see what they find instead of doing that. I am not suggesting that now, just saying.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
For a start, you're using four sticks of RAM which often leads to instability, especially if the RAM is not in the motherboard Qualified Vendor list, or consists of two pairs of DIMMs instead of a single kit of four matched DIMMs.

Remove two sticks of RAM and disable XMP overclocking (another source of trouble) then see if the game is more stable.

If the computer is OK, replace the two DIMMs and leave XMP disabled. If the computer still works with 4 DIMMs, you'll know that XMP overclocking is the culprit.

Sep 24, 2023
What drive is C drive? Dumps are saved onto it... is it either of the 2 WD drives?

Or is it one not replaced? If its another drive, which one?

did you run this on the 2 WD drives to see if they okay, just cause the no dumps thing generally does make me look at drives too - https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/31759/~/download,-install,-test-drive-and-update-firmware-using-western-digital

Its not a good idea to randomly choose things as the problem, it can lead to replacing entire PC and still having problems. I would be more inclined to get a repair store test it and see what they find instead of doing that. I am not suggesting that now, just saying.
The 2TB M.2 is my C drive, I changed the page file to go onto my D drive and I am now getting crashdumps that indicate authenticamd.sys is the culprit. Which is the same error I was getting with the old m.2 drives.

Sep 24, 2023
For a start, you're using four sticks of RAM which often leads to instability, especially if the RAM is not in the motherboard Qualified Vendor list, or consists of two pairs of DIMMs instead of a single kit of four matched DIMMs.

Remove two sticks of RAM and disable XMP overclocking (another source of trouble) then see if the game is more stable.

If the computer is OK, replace the two DIMMs and leave XMP disabled. If the computer still works with 4 DIMMs, y
The RAM is in the qualified list of vendors and is a single kit of 4. Il try your suggestions.