[SOLVED] BSOD: Page Fault in NONPAGED Area, can't boot

plath

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
Hi everybody,

Well I have a problem I hope someone can please help me with. I just spent about 11 hours emptying my old PC from it's midtower and changing the motherboard, cpu cooler, ram and CPU and adding a M2 drive. I kept a GPU, case, soundcard and two SSDs and switched a case fan also. After that ordeal it turned on, but sadly i have not yet been able to boot properly into my desktop. Every time, I get a "Page Fault in NONPAGED Area" BSOD, right before I enter the Desktop.

I had an Intel 4670k on a Z97 Mobo and DDR3. I switched my storage, PSU and GPU (Nvidia GTX 1070) into a new system. The new CPU is a Ryzen 7 5700X on a Gigabyte AORUS Elite B550 motherboard and 16gb of Kingston Fury Beast 3600mhz CL17 RAM. PSU is EVGA Supernova G2 750W. I am using the same OS installation for over 10 years although it has been upgraded at some point from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I have never formatted in that time. I believe it was originally a retail version, but it is now a license.

I've tried to do some troubleshooting, but I can't get rid of the BSOD. I have:

• Disabled "Automatically Manage Paging File Size for All Drives"
  • Ran DISM and SFC repair
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, it did not find anything wrong.
  • Tried to test all combinations of RAM and slots to isolate the cause, but it did not.
  • Checked my SSDs in CrystalDisk
I've also attached my SysnativeBSODCollectionApp zip containing the crash dumps. I'm posting this right now in safe mode, where it boots fine. Maybe it's a driver conflict perhaps from some old hardware?

Solution
i asked somewhere else and they analysed the crash dump and it was a driver conflict caused by Gigabyte tools. gdrv.sys. deleted all traces of Gigabyte tools such as @bios, OC Button, App Centre, etc and now I can boot successfully. thanks guys.

plath

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
do a fresh os install

Yeah I don't really want to do that unless I have to, if the issue can be identified I'd much rather find out first. Rather than format and have it turn out that the fault continues.

I've changed the mobo twice in the past, changed the case, changed Nvidia cards, used Macron Reflect to swap SSDs, upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10 all without ever formatting and it worked fine.

Last edited:
AMD chipsets are different from Intel.
Booting using an Intel installation is not likely to work.
Intel to intel changes are very likely to work.
I have done many.

I think there used to be a method to prep windows to allow it to boot on different hardware.
But that could have been for windows 7.

Some smart guy may have a stand alone app that can make the adjustments.
I would love to hear about such.

Sadly, I think you are suck with a new install.

plath

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
Is there a way I can test out whether it is a driver conflict? E.g. can I do a clean install of Windows on another partition or smth to test whether everything is fine there.

Cuz I have a new drive that's spare that hasn't been used.

plath

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
i asked somewhere else and they analysed the crash dump and it was a driver conflict caused by Gigabyte tools. gdrv.sys. deleted all traces of Gigabyte tools such as @bios, OC Button, App Centre, etc and now I can boot successfully. thanks guys.

Solution