Question BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ntoskrnl.exe?

Mezulith

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
Hello. Past few weeks I've been getting random BSOD crashes. First one in game menu (cs go) and the second one just in windows when system is idle. Memtest shows no errors. I don't understand too good the crash files. So i would like to please for some help. I used WhoCrashed to analyze both dump files.

So it is:

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-J66TC2L
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1809, build: 17763
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASRock, Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz Intel8664, level: 6
6 logical processors, active mask: 63
RAM: 17096007680 bytes (15,9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Mon 17.06.2019 11:38:33 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061719-12687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B3EF0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFBF0882403550, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80579820E63, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 11.06.2019 18:00:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061119-12468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8007275D02E)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF80052C5FF78, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8007275D02E, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_37ec54c19854e219\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 425.31
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 425.31
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 425.31 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 425.31 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

The PC is brand new. The drivers were downloaded automaticly by Windows. So all should be newest. Any ideas ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

WhoCrashed is not an accurate tool and does not go deeper than just showing the bugcheck code and basic information.

If you upload the dump files to a sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox and share the links here, others and I can check the dumps and see if we can find out what is going on.

If you did memtest with one RAM module at a time (if you have more than one) and no errors RAM is probably OK. What is your full system specs including power supply make and model?

Mezulith

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

WhoCrashed is not an accurate tool and does not go deeper than just showing the bugcheck code and basic information.

If you upload the dump files to a sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox and share the links here, others and I can check the dumps and see if we can find out what is going on.

If you did memtest with one RAM module at a time (if you have more than one) and no errors RAM is probably OK. What is your full system specs including power supply make and model?
Ram tested each one by one, test passed with no errors. Rest of system specs is GTX 1070 Zotac 8GB and Silentium PC Enduro FM1 Gold 650W.
So i uploaded the dump files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzCpxWuUri_tN-DwvRfH3G1a6oN3wdGk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kl-5Uj0AhzmCbZ1pCj84QQRd8psS5tzp/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Ram tested each one by one, test passed with no errors. Rest of system specs is GTX 1070 Zotac 8GB and Silentium PC Enduro FM1 Gold 650W.
So i uploaded the dump files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzCpxWuUri_tN-DwvRfH3G1a6oN3wdGk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kl-5Uj0AhzmCbZ1pCj84QQRd8psS5tzp/view?usp=sharing

How many passed did you set for memtest to run. At least 4 passes for each RAM module is recommended.

In the first dump the the bugcheck is 50 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) and process named is csgo.exe and two drivers nvlddmkm.sys and nvhda64v.sys. These are nvidia drivers the nvhda64v.sys I think is the nvidia HD audio driver for audio through HDMI.

The second dump is also a bugcheck 50 no process as it's a system exception but apparently address regions for ndiswan and dump_storpor overlap. If I'm not mistaken ndiswan is a wireless network driver. For this one you might want to update that driver if it is not up to date to latest version.

For the first dump I suggest you uninstall nvidia HD audio driver and see if that resolves the issue. If not you can use DDU to completely remove nvidia drievrs (all of them) and do a clean installation of the latest applicable version.

I would also ask @PC Tailor, @Colif and @gardenman to kindly take a look and provide their opinion whenever they can.

Reactions: gardenman

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got similar results: https://pste.eu/p/zjJR.html

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#BIOS
There are BIOS updates available for your system. You are using version 1.1 and the latest is version 4.0. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

Satan-IR covered most of it and I don't want to repeat everything he said. I also suggest using DDU in safe mode, then reinstalling the driver in normal mode. Instructions can be found here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Was already done when Gardenman posted so we will cross compare!

I have ran both dump files - you can see the reports below:
Dump 1 - https://pste.eu/p/NIBu.html
Dump 2 - https://pste.eu/p/ihYT.html

They both have the same bugcheck, but one has a little more detail and does point to an NVIDIA driver being in your stack leading up to the crash.

Summary of Findings
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except.
Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.

DUMP 1
MODULE_NAME: fileinfo
IMAGE_NAME: fileinfo.sys
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_R_INVALID_fileinfo!FIStreamGetNext

DUMP 2
PROCESS_NAME: csgo.exe
MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm
IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

Typical Cause:
Bug check 0x50 can be caused by the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

It could also occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

This bugcheck is typically causes by drivers. It can also be caused by RAM, but drivers is usually first port of call. So based on the debug reports I would consider the following (some have already been mentioned):
  • You currently have BIOS V1.10, the latest is V4.00. You may want to update this as this can help resolve various issues.
  • You will want to make sure your Intel Management Enginer driver is up to date with your BIOS, these 2 have to "align" in effect. This also means if you update your BIOS, update Intel.
  • You will want to update your NVIDIA drivers to latest version after clearing old drivers using DDU.
  • If you can run in safe mode, if the issue does not repeat, it is more likely to be a third party driver.
  • Can't see any wireless drivers loaded at the time of the crash.
  • Even though it likely isn't the cause, it won't hurt to run HD Sentinel and verify the integrity of your storage drives.
  • Failing the above, we may move onto more RAM testing.

Last edited: