[SOLVED] BSOD playing games / hardware diagnostics

weston82

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hello there,
Last year I purchased this PC which started having BSOD errors while gaming for a while, though historically they were more infrequent (about 3-5 a week), which started within a month of having the machine. I've updated the drivers, tested the RAM using Windows Diagnostics and Memtest86. I've checked the SSD and HDD. I've also run several command prompt scans and the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. I installed Windows 11, however it was not a completely fresh install, checked divers, and received Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap errors almost immediately when starting a game. I hired an IT professional and together we installed a fresh version of Windows 11, deleted all partitions on Drive 1 and did not connect to Microsoft servers via one drive during the installation. So, the install is super clean. Then I updated all drivers on the machine. Next, I installed the steam client and FFXIV. I crashed within about 15 mins of starting the app. I contacted the company I purchased from and was notified that I was two days past my warranty, which I am really kicking myself for. I feel as though I have ruled out the chance of a Driver issue or file corruption or have I missed something here? I'm also trying to determine which piece of hardware is the culprit here. When I spoke to support from the company, I purchased from, they indicated a belief that the potential issue is with the CPU after only hearing of which BSODs I have had. Said BSODs have been Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap, Whea Uncorrectable Error, and IRQL Not Less Or Equal. Are there any diagnostic tools or techniques that I can use to further narrow down what the hardware issue could be?

My build:

CPU - OEM INTEL CORE PROCESSOR I9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHZ 20MB CACHE LGA1200 (COMET LAKE-S) 125W
GPU - EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6X ICX3
RAM - CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 8GB DDR4-3000
SSD - 1TB WD BLUE SN550 SERIES PCIE NVME M.2 SSD
HDD - 3TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 5400RPM 6.0 GB/s 64MB CACHE
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX ARGB 1GBE LAN 2 PCIE X16 4 PCIE X1 2X M.2
POWER SUPPLY - APEVIA 1000WATT GOLD 80 PLUS

Solution
you could upload memory dumps, maybe they would tell something
memory dumps can be found in windows\minidump folder
whea dumps can be found in windows\livekernelreports\whea