BSOD pointing to atikmpag.sys after installing switchable graphics driver

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi. I have a problem about my laptop. It keeps on showing BSOD after Windows 7 startup screen, and it tells a STOP error code 116 and points to atikmpag.sys. I can't find updated drivers for my laptop. What I did find on the HP support page is outdated, and I can't download a driver from AMD or Intel because for example, if I installed AMD, it would only kill the Intel one. I also did the Windows File Expansion Utility, but didn't work too.

Laptop: HP Pavilion g6 2307-tx
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7670M/Intel HD Graphics 4000

D

Deleted member 1732396

do you have a windows disc you could do a clean install move the files from .old and get proper drivers

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I'm worried about the performance of my laptop if I would only install AMD graphics. Is the Intel graphics not needed to be installed? Can I run games that I were playing before even if I lack the Intel one?

Dec 5, 2014

Yes. You could just install the AMD graphic and run games. The radeon 7670M is more powerful than intel HD 4000.

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I tried installing the AMD standalone graphics. I finished the installation and after restart, I checked the Device Manager to see that the device has been stopped (Code 43). I don't have any idea on what to do afterwards.

Dec 5, 2014

hmm.. how about a clean install? uninstall AMD driver completely, reboot and then install it again.

Make sure you use 32 bit installer or 64 bit installer depending on your system config. you can find suitable driver here..

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

what is your windows spec?

edit: yours was windows 7 64 bit.. fixed the link above.

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Which driver do I need to download? Anyways, I am running my laptop on standalone Intel graphics right now. I read a thread giving guide on how to install drivers on laptops with switchable graphics. Is this suitable to follow? Thanks for the help.

Dec 5, 2014

you can download the 15.7.1 ones because that is a stable driver from AMD. Personally, i like to use beta driver so i choose the newest beta driver such as 15.10 on my laptop and my current pc. Being sad that, im still using older beta driver, 15.9.

I think thats a good idea to follow that guide since it features switchable graphic. Reply to this thread once you got any result.

I ever own a lenovo laptop that comes with Intel HD 4xxx (maybe intel HD 4600??) and AMD r5 m230 (or either AMD HD 8xxxm series.. i totally forgot). Upon receiving the laptop, i download the AMD driver straight from amd.com and it runs okay. Even the switchable graphics function works great.

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I downloaded the 15.7.1 and installed it. I'm on the halfway point of my installation and BSOD appeared, once again pointing to atikmpag.sys. I don't know if the AMD one is faulty or I am doing something wrong on installation. I'll try to install again and check. Maybe I'll try to check out leshcat drivers too. Did you see the thread that I'm talking about? I didn't think I included it:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180701

Dec 5, 2014

yes, you havent linked it for me. I think you have done the right thing. Maybe its the AMD one is the faulty after all. Your built-in graphic Intel HD is working while the AMD one isnt. How long you've been using this laptop?

Added: Can you try install again the AMD one (15.7.1) but dont just go "Express". Use "Custom" and make sure to uncheck everything except "AMD display driver" then proceed to instalation.

You can find more about "Here". (but i think you already looked up for it)

regingtripor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hey, sorry if I haven't replied as quick as possible to this thread, been too busy. Anyways, I tried your suggestion of installing only the AMD display driver, but after restarting the laptop, the desktop froze and became unresponsive. I tried restarting again and instead, only black screen appeared. The only thing that's left to try is the leshcat drivers.

Dec 5, 2014

i see.. in case your leshcat driver installation fails at atikmpag.sys again, then there is something happened at your AMD hardware.

Does the AMD one get detected in GPU-Z ?