BSOD, rebooted, ...the file header checksum does not match...

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Ok so I was trying to find my microsoft money 2008 disc, gave up and downloaded a trial, to hopefully use my cdkey with and activate it.

After closing MS Money down because I downloaded the wrong version, I got a BSOD that I breifly caught a glimps of. referring to NVRAM? or NV something... then it rebooted, stopped on bios screen, said i had to go into setup and reboot, or change to default settings. So I put everything back to stock settings, but now when it goes to boot, i gets past the POST screen and then gives me this message

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Not entirely sure on how to troubleshoot this one. Never seen it before. Trying to google it, but I would appreicate it if someone could help.

My CPU was overclocked, but I am experienced with OCing and it was completely safe and tested. I didnt even bump the voltage, just FSB. I know its not the issue. Ram was also slightly underclocked.

Here is my setup:

ASUS P5N-D i think bios 601, two versions old.
2GB 2x1gb Corsair balistix, in dual channel mode, slightly underclocked, now at stock settings.
Seasonic M12 700w
E2160 was running at 2.42ghz stock voltage, now it is stock 2.00ghz till i fix this prob
Xigmatek HSF on CPU, temps never go above 44c,
Antec 300, lots of 120mm fans, no heat issues
Gigabyte Nvidia 8800GT, with fanless HSF on it, temps never go above 70
Two WD 500 GB HDD's, one is not in use, the other is partitioned 250/250 with XP pro 32bit, and Vista ultimate 64bit, I hardly go on vista, its just for a few games that use DX10.
Note: the HDD that im using for my OS' is an RMA drive, the original crashed and this is the replacement WD sent me. it is also really loud. by far the loudest part in my silent PC.
Logitech G15
Razor Lachesis
Hanns G 28" LCD
Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers.
Logitech Fusion webcam
LG DVD+- RW DL 20x

Also most of my data is stored on my homebuilt raid 5 NAS, so im not to worried about data loss here, but i do not like to reload windows and all my programs. That would be a last resort, after switching out hardware.

Also a few other things I have tried while posting this message, I have tried booting to my old HDD, which had XP pro on it. got same error message. I'm thinking its a BIOS related issue right now and am going to flash to the newest version.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Ok update again, Updated bios to latest version 801. went fine. I got to my OS selection screen, I chose XP, took me to the screen where i could choose to go into safemode, i chose to start windows normally. BSOD, back to the checksum error message....

So... it giveth and taketh away. Going to try to see if I can get into safemode, but im not sure if ill be able to get to that screen again.

I chose to boot to vista, i get the message

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. "Click repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Safe mode fails, BSOD, in xp pro

Error code 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xBA53F430,0x00000000)

This apparently means the HDD is going south... So i am going to try booting to my old hdd, which is not loud, but also hasnt really been used for several months.

G

I had the same problem here,at first i never could find the problem,now i removed my hdd which seems to be the
problem.my hdd has gone south!