[SOLVED] BSOD, Reinstalling Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
You might want to try a reset. that will get rid of the driver but the downside is you have to reinstall all your programs again. Since we been going 5 days or something, the answer to your initial question should have been do a reinstall :)

I don't get why keyboard doesn't work without that program running, but a reset will fix it. just make sure to backup anything on C you want to save, just in case, as not all resets work.

At least with a reset you can keep files and settings. (files being contents of library folders - Documents, music, pictures, videos). Settings include login info and desktop set up.

Sometimes if the driver is just being impossible to remove, reset is a good answer.
May 14, 2019
now this is interesting

https://support.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/

but its the only thing I can find on the issues. Unsure if it stretches to their keyboards, Not same bsod as you were getting.

Synapse normally doesn't need help to be painful. I had a Razer kb a few years ago

https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/COMODO-Secure-Shopping-189039-program.aspx

both definitely installed by Comodo Secure Shopper

So why does stopping it conflict with Razer synapse, when the first quote shows running it causes problems on the laptops.

See if you can find un_inst.exe as that sure looks like it would remove the shopper.
Might need to reinstall synapse after
Oh that seems interesting, at least good to know others have had problems with COMODO. No clue as to why it would interfere with the keyboard. I tried finding un_inst.exe, but can't find anything through the search bar in "This PC".
(also sorry if this is taking so long to solve)

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol. its your problem, and 2 days isn't long, i have had bsod posts stretch on for weeks. They not always obvious.

did you look in the folder string that the shopper should be in?
C:\Program Files\comodo\comodo secure shopping\vdcss.exe

ccleaner might fix it (I don't normally recommend it but this might be a left over program)

tried running av scans? malwarebytes? I found some references to this being a bad program to have on PC.

May 14, 2019
lol. its your problem, and 2 days isn't long, i have had bsod posts stretch on for weeks. They not always obvious.

did you look in the folder string that the shopper should be in?
C:\Program Files\comodo\comodo secure shopping\vdcss.exe

ccleaner might fix it (I don't normally recommend it but this might be a left over program)

tried running av scans? malwarebytes? I found some references to this being a bad program to have on PC.
lol, thank you for your patience so far then.

I tried looking there, but no comodo folder is there since I delete everything I saw comodo related.

I did some scans and with malwarebytes, but no threat was found. Should I use ccleaner then? What exactly should I do with it?

May 14, 2019
don't install it yet... I am not sure it would help. It could make things worse, it likes to delete dump files.

try doing a scan with this if you only have defender - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

you might need to use a cheap keyboard so you can remove both synapse and comodo, and then plug Razer keyboard back in and let windows find the drivers again.
Okay I'll download bitdefender now, do I need to do a specific scan or just a full scan?

Also I have a cheap keyboard around, I'll plug it in now until I get to remove comodo then.

(I just clicked on the link and started download, but first time I clicked on it Windows Defender told me it was a virus but the second time I click on it to make sure it didn't say anything.. anything I should be concerned about?)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019
windows defender thinks Bitdefender is a virus? Maybe its self defense as it knows Bitdefender is better than it is.

it could be you have a virus trying to save itself. Bitdefender is one of the top 2 AV in the world. I don't think its likely to be a virus

its self preservation - https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...hat-bitdefender-has-a-virus-on-the-installer/
Alright, I figured I remember reading something like that. So when I'm done installing bitdefender should I just do a regular scan? Is this to see if it can find and remove comodo or what?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its likely to run an initial scan anyway, but i am not sure how much access the free version gives, you should have full scan at least. I am using the full version.

it might be slow, its not the fastest scanner out there but its pretty accurate

it will at least tell you if its a virus or not. we may need to use something like revo uninstaller to remove it, if its not a virus.

May 14, 2019
its likely to run an initial scan anyway, but i am not sure how much access the free version gives, you should have full scan at least. I am using the full version.

it might be slow, its not the fastest scanner out there but its pretty accurate

it will at least tell you if its a virus or not. we may need to use something like revo uninstaller to remove it, if its not a virus.
Okay, it's currently doing a system scan and as you said it might take a while so I think I'll leave it running while I sleep and I'll come back here and tell you if it finds anything. (Nvm lol, it didn't find anything)

Also I have tried revo the other day to see if there are any comodo programs left and just checked again to make sure and I don't see any comodo secure shopping one

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
bit defenders 1st scan always takes forever, but the rest of the scans are faster once it knows what to look at. Its why I don't run it very often. But its ability to detect viruses when you try to download them or run them is near perfect.

May 14, 2019
bit defenders 1st scan always takes forever, but the rest of the scans are faster once it knows what to look at. Its why I don't run it very often. But its ability to detect viruses when you try to download them or run them is near perfect.
Nvm it seems to have finished without me noticing and it didn't find any viruses. I'm running it again just in case I stopped it on accident.
(on the other hand bitdefender seems like a nice AV to have I'll keep it.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
so file might be safe but still needs to be removed/stopped. so looks like you use cheap keyboard, stop both in auto runs, uninstall synapse (razer) and restart PC. Once its running again, put razer back in.

do it in morning if you want to sleep :)

May 14, 2019
so file might be safe but still needs to be removed/stopped. so looks like you use cheap keyboard, stop both in auto runs, uninstall synapse (razer) and restart PC. Once its running again, put razer back in.

do it in morning if you want to sleep :)
So I tried doing as you said with the cheap keyboard, stopped both comodo services in autoruns and uninstalled synapse and I restarted but the cheap keyboard doesn't seem to work either when I do that. Not sure if I did anything wrong or what to do

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
its likely to run an initial scan anyway, but i am not sure how much access the free version gives, you should have full scan at least.
Not trying to hijack but I'm also a long serving bitdefender customer and the free bitdefender is what I recommend to everyone, it basically does all the required items, but without you ever having to touch it, top class product really.

Odd question but how did you uninstall Comodo originally?

Reactions: javster22
May 14, 2019
Not trying to hijack but I'm also a long serving bitdefender customer and the free bitdefender is what I recommend to everyone, it basically does all the required items, but without you ever having to touch it, top class product really.

Odd question but how did you uninstall Comodo originally?
What I did at first a few days ago to uninstall Comodo was in programs like you normally uninstall a program and then I used Revo and also a comodo uninstaller since apparently there was Comodo related programs still installed. After that there was a comodo folder in program files that would not get deleted so I went into safe mode and deleted it. That’s all I’ve done as to uninstalling/removing Comodo, but clearly it didn’t remove all of it.

May 14, 2019
I'm just being wary that Comodo Secure Shopping is a standalone program and not necessarily just part of the Comodo package.

In your apps and settings, do you have a seperate program that you can uninstall specifically relating to the secure shopping program?
it is detailed here:
https://help.comodo.com/topic-446-1-921-12418-.html
I just double checked and can't seem to find any program like that in the list. (I might have already uninstalled it, but that wouldn't make sense since it's clearly still running)

Colif

Win 11 Master
if csssrv.exe is running, we might have a way to figure out what is using it

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe) - its like an over poiwered version of task manager, i use it mainly for finding ram problems, but it has other uses.

clicking on the header for processes changes the view. default is tree view but it can also be sorted into alphabetical as well.. Tree view shows what it is running under, many programs run under services.

now find csssrv.exe in the list of running services, and right click on it, choose properties.
the Image tab will show its current location and details of ownership
Try looking on the threads page, it might give a clue as to what is using it

the other tabs are less useful for your current purpose.

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click exe files and run an av scan from within the program.

alas, it doesn't show sys files.

it shows way too much info for this question but its always fun to see under the hood. It can show how much ram or hdd or cpu every process is using.

May 14, 2019
if csssrv.exe is running, we might have a way to figure out what is using it

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe) - its like an over poiwered version of task manager, i use it mainly for finding ram problems, but it has other uses.

clicking on the header for processes changes the view. default is tree view but it can also be sorted into alphabetical as well.. Tree view shows what it is running under, many programs run under services.

now find csssrv.exe in the list of running services, and right click on it, choose properties.
the Image tab will show its current location and details of ownership
Try looking on the threads page, it might give a clue as to what is using it

the other tabs are less useful for your current purpose.

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click exe files and run an av scan from within the program.

alas, it doesn't show sys files.

it shows way too much info for this question but its always fun to see under the hood. It can show how much ram or hdd or cpu every process is using.
I just tried what you said with Process explorer, but can't seem to find csssrv anywhere on the list, I used the find handle option too and it couldn't find csssrv.exe either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think you have csssrv.exe on PC, the Autorun image you shared shows File not found, so its just a registry entry that remains there pointing at something thats been removed. (If I hadn't been awake all night when I suggested that, I might have realised I was wasting my time)

cmdscss.sys still exists. its the problem. but process explorer doesn't show drivers. it can show dll but not sys files.

I found the sysinternals program called handle as well but once again, it can't track drivers I don't think

have you done the shuffle with the cheap keyboard and removing synapse yet to see if you can keep that program off in auto runs? (this rate it would have been faster to just clean install)

May 14, 2019
I don't think you have csssrv.exe on PC, the Autorun image you shared shows File not found, so its just a registry entry that remains there pointing at something thats been removed. (If I hadn't been awake all night when I suggested that, I might have realised I was wasting my time)

cmdscss.sys still exists. its the problem. but process explorer doesn't show drivers. it can show dll but not sys files.

I found the sysinternals program called handle as well but once again, it can't track drivers I don't think

have you done the shuffle with the cheap keyboard and removing synapse yet to see if you can keep that program off in auto runs? (this rate it would have been faster to just clean install)
Ah I see, should I download handle and see if it can show up?
I tried the shuffle with the keyboard when I turned off both in autorun, but did not work either with the cheap keyboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want to try a reset. that will get rid of the driver but the downside is you have to reinstall all your programs again. Since we been going 5 days or something, the answer to your initial question should have been do a reinstall :)

I don't get why keyboard doesn't work without that program running, but a reset will fix it. just make sure to backup anything on C you want to save, just in case, as not all resets work.

At least with a reset you can keep files and settings. (files being contents of library folders - Documents, music, pictures, videos). Settings include login info and desktop set up.

Sometimes if the driver is just being impossible to remove, reset is a good answer.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
+1 to a reset being a good shout if everything up to now has not worked in getting rid of a pesky driver. It's almost a sure fire way of guaranteeing the problem should disappear. - If you did a fresh start it would also get rid of any other rubbish that your PC has picked up along the way.

May 14, 2019

Alright I think I'll do a reset then, thank you and @PC Tailor for your time and incredible help! I learned a lot with these insightful replies, hope you guys have a good day!

Reactions: PC Tailor