Question BSOD Stop Code after changing GPU to RX 5500 XT 8GB When launching Monitoring apps (CPU-Z, HWMonitor e.t.c)

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, PC works fine, but for some reason this happens
This is the video how it happens: https://streamable.com/vonowj I get same error after clean reinstall of Windows, but everything else seems to work fine like GPU-Z, Furmark, Unigine Superposition benchmark.Cleared CMOS, loaded optimized defaults, XMP ON/OFF same result.

PC specs: Ryzen 5 3600 (w/stock cooler)
Gigabyte a520m S2H (installed latest Chipset, audio, lan drivers from motherboard website)
32GB DDR4 3200mhz CL16 RAM
Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD (SYSTEM DRIVE)
Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5500 XT 8GB (Latest Adrenaline 22.11.2 and GPU driver) | Geforce GT 730 used For first time test benching
XFX 550 80+Bronze PSU
1080p 60Hz Monitor
Clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit using Windows media tool (with latest updates)

Long story short: i put those parts together for a test bench for the first time booting up ( wanted to check GPU- RX 5500 XT later), so i used GT 730 for a test bench( because i knew it was working). Everything works great, Clean installation of Windows 10, updated Windows to latest, installed motherboard drivers and all the monitoring/benchmarking software. Everything worked well including CPUID apps mentioned above.NOTE: During test benching(before installing windows) i updated BIOS from version F10 TO F14 using Q-flash function and i was using GT 730 at that time.

Then i decided to test the GPU, so i used DDU to uninstall old NVIDIA driver and installed lastest driver for AMD GPU. The GPU itself works well, but whenever i tried to open monitoring apps like CPU-Z, HWMonitor i got blue screen stop code. After numerous attempts to fix the problem i decided to do CMOS clear and new clean installation of windows 10 with AMD GPU and i got same result.

The odd thing about the AMD GPU is: In Radeon software when i open custon tuning, some options like FAN ZERO RPM is gone, also the curve is flat, while in reality fans don't sping until GPU hits 50C and also fans go above 35% when under load. I tested myself using Furmark. See screens yourself ( these are under load). What is this all about?

Last edited:

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
XFX 550 80+Bronze PSU
How old is the PSU in your build?

If you used DDU then installed the latest AMD drivers for your GPU, try and work with a prior revision...;https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt

Hang on, I looked up Gigabyte's support site for your motherboard. You're on A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5. Update the BIOS to F15e, see if the issue is averted.
PSU Is about 9 years old, has been working with GPU with TDP of 175watt since day 1, rx 5500 xt is only 130watt TDP. I opened and cleaned PSU from dust, it's not noisy or anything. Works just fine. I can play games normally, but for some reason get BSOD when opening mentioned apps.

I think they BIOS versions prior F14 are not "fully released" yet , they might be in beta/alpha or whatever with suffixes after the number. I don't know about A.G.E.S.A is that really important? i just know i have to have it on version 1 and above to enable smart access memory that's all. For the different version of AMD Drive, you are right, might be worth checking it. I'll wait a little bit before trying. I want to install more apps to see if they also crash or not.