BSOD stops when I remove RAM sticks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skifreak3535

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor (up to 1333 MHz FSB)
NVIDIA® nForce® 720i (MCP7A-D) Chipset
8 GB of DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM
EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi)

About a month ago I began getting different BSOD messages, ranging from DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I figured it to be a RAM issue so I removed the first stick and started to run memtest to determine the fault ram. To my surprise the computer ran nice and smooth after removing the 2GB stick from the first slot. I ordered a new stick to replace the faulty one and when I installed it I began getting BSOD messages again. So, I then thought that maybe the slot on the motherboard could be the culprit.

I returned the stick and everything has been running smooth for about a month until earlier today when I began to get BSOD Messages again. After alot of fussing with the computer I decided to remove another stick (now leaving 4GB in the PC compared to the original 8GB that its always had) and bingo, no more BSOD messages. So far so good with the computer but I'm now down to 4GBs :-(. I'm trying to figure out what could cause these two issues.

I haven't made any changes in the BIOS or anything else so I'm confused why taking more and more sticks out have been the fix to all the BSOD messages that I've been getting. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are the slots on the motherboard really the issue here or does it sound like something that is more closely linked to my BIOS ? This is my first post on these boards so I can provide any additional information if necessary, and I'd appreciate any help because I feel like I'm starting to become a crazy person. Thanks guys for the help!

Zach

skifreak3535

Honorable
May 5, 2012
That was my first thought was to run memtest to check for faulty ram. I first removed one of the sticks, leaving only 6GBs, and the all of the sudden the BSODs stopped. I figured that I had luckily found the culprit so I bought a new stick to replace the old one. When I installed it all of the BSODs returned immediately. This leads me to believe that it's not an issue of faulty ram because when I installed a brand new stick the BSODs came back.

So, for a while was running on only 6GBs and the it all started over again. So, I removed another stick and used only 4GBs. Fast forward another two months and here I am again.

Based on my situation do you think cleaning up the registry errors would help? I'm happy to try, the only thing is that I'd only be able to do it with 2GBs in the system. Would this make a difference?

Zach

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't matter how much RAM you have when you run CCleaner.
More importantly, you just want to be sure the system isn't going to BSOD on you in the middle of a registry clean. If your system is that unstable, though... is it any more stable in Safe Mode?

Btw, first thing we have to be sure off is the RAM sticks are good. Please find time to run memtest on each stick individually for 1 full pass.

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
i had an asus p5n73 lga775 board that had almost the same issue. one day it started bsod until it became so bad that windows couldnt boot anymore. i tried many methods like reinstalling windows and pulling parts out to find the culprit until i tried reducing the speed of my ram to 667mhz. then the bsod stopped. (note i only hv 2 ram slots and i tried running memtest and tried turning on with only 1 ram slot occupied, both methods failed)

a month later, my motherboard died. probably a capacitor leaked or blowed

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Exactly. If you scroll back up to the beginning of this thread, you'll see I suggested the same thing based on my experience like that. But he says his system came from the factory with that RAM already in it. So I had to assume that wasn't his issue.

skifreak3535

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I ram memtest on the 2 sticks that I was using with 4GBs RAM and found no errors. I also downloaded and ran ccleaner a few times to clean up the registry and applications. I then restarted and thought that everything was going great until...wham BSOD screen again! I'm so frustrated right now!!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Let's see if we can clean up some of the stuff running in the background that may be causing problems. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, we can forget it.

I can't remember how the headings are named in Vista, but if you look under the heading pertaining to the 'command', you will see a path followed by an executable file in the form of name.exe with some parameters after it.
Type that name.exe in the search box in this website: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php
It will tell you if that particular item is need or not. Or if it is something you can decide as the user if you really need it running in the background.

hpm1968

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Zach. I also have an LX6810-01.

NVIDIA nForce 720i chipset (MCP7A-D)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz
1333 MHz FSB speed, 4 MB L2 cache
8 GB (8192 MB) DDR2 PC2-6400 800 MHz RAM Dual-channel memory
18x DVD±RW DL with Labelflash technology
15-in-1 memory card reader
NVIDIA GeForce GT120 PCI-Express video card with up to 1 GB shared memory
Analog/Digital TV Tuner with 3-D comb filter
8-channel (7.1) High Definition audio with Dolby Home Theater sound
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
400W power supply (100-127V/220-240Vac 9.5A, 50/60 Hz)

The main difference between our systems now seem to be the video card and the extra fans. As you can see I'm still running the OEM GT120. (Hopefully not for long) I'm still also running the original fan. I don't think I've had more than a couple of BSOD's, and I knew what was causing them. (I'm an incorrigible tinkerer) Mine just shut down.

I'm going to guess that you've got a power supply problem. The reason your system worked for a while after removing a couple of sticks was that while removing memory, you were also removing significant draw of power. Then your problem becomes an updated video card running more cores on top of whatever you normally run which is a draw on memory PLUS the power draw from the fans.

Try unplugging the newer fans from the M/B. Make sure you have all 8MB of RAM connected. If you're setup is in a room where there isn't that much circulation, remove one side of the tower just to see if that helps controlling temps. Also, if you don't have anything vital running off of your USB slots, you can temporarily disable them in BIOS. You can also disable the Firewire there.

Like clutch said, ONE THING AT A TIME!!!

Before you unplug the fans, try the USB (if you can) and the 1394 disables. It just may free up enough wattage to work.

I don't know why but the LX6810-01 is a notoriously unstable computer. You can't go through a thread on any forum without people dealing with shutdowns and software or hardware issues. GOOD LUCK SKIFREAK! Hope this works.

Harry