BSOD System Crashes Repeatedly!

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm having some issues with my PC that I hope you can help with.

My specs are the following:

Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
Hardware: ASRock, Z77 Extreme4
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8467349504 bytes total (Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe Video Card

I ran into an issue last week in which the power button on my Zalman Z11 case stopped working, so while I waited for a momentary switch to arrive, I used the power button on my MB. Everything worked fine for the few days in between and when it arrived on Friday 2/9 I set up the momentary switch without issue. About an hour or two later I started getting blue screens. There was no error message, simply that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or terminated. This was happening at random, and over the weekend I experienced the same issue another 5 times. One time in particular I got the KERNEL DATA INPUT ERROR message, but otherwise all blue screens had no errors.

I stress tested my HDD (Samsung EVO), ran Prime, Memtest, and system file checker. I downloaded WhoCrashed, and my results are below.

Originally it found an issue with the AVG driver, so I uninstalled and as of the most resent crash (last night), no driver issues detected. I do see that there are Windows Updates that keep failing and my PC does crash consistently when I do one of the following: try to back up my computer using Windows Backup, try to install Windows updates, or try to install Windows 10 (I know, I know, I'm on Win 7 and thought maybe upgrading to 10 would solve my issues but I can't even get the file to download without my machine crashing). Some of the possible diagnoses from the dump files could be thermal issues - a friend of mine let me use his System Information for Windows and results all check out - temps are normal 27C. I made sure all of my drivers are updated in device manager and through GeForce (specifically because the NVIDIA update through Windows keeps failing). I thought about system restore but there are no restore points before Friday when my issue starting occurring. I have also performed numerous stress tests and my HDD passed all of them and according to Crystal Disk Info is in good 100% condition.

I'm out ideas as to what could be the issue - any help is greatly appreciated! I am really inexperienced here and am grateful for your suggestions.

Thank you!

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Mon 2/12/2018 8:39:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-7815-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xA63A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008CB6530, 0xFFFFFA8008CB6810, 0xFFFFF80003563010)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. This bug check is typically caused by a thermal issue. It's suggested that you do temperature checking on your CPUs and hardware.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!PsSetCurrentThreadPrefetching+0x6E2)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008CB6530, 0xFFFFFA8008CB6810, 0xFFFFF80003563010)
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. This bug check is typically caused by a thermal issue. It's suggested that you do temperature checking on your CPUs and hardware.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2/12/2018 8:01:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-8517-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC500313A0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xBAA15880, 0xFFFFF8A006274000)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

On Mon 2/12/2018 12:32:41 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-7332-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40067630, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x14319DBE0, 0xFFFFF8800CEC6000)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

On Sun 2/11/2018 11:20:35 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-4024-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40018EB0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x16DA74BE0, 0xFFFFF880031D6000)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:39:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-6864-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80088CA5A0, 0xFFFFFA80088CA880, 0xFFFFF8000337D010)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:22:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-7690-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800761CB00, 0xFFFFFA800761CDE0, 0xFFFFF80003369010)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:20:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-8751-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40045EE8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xC3BD7BE0, 0xFFFFF88008BDD000)

Conclusion

8 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

This CAM_V3.sys is 10 yrs old. Either uipdate it or uninstall it. Some cam monitoring software

This is also 10 yrs old wdcsam64_prewin8.sys. It's for an external WD hdd.

wininit.exe is causing one of the crashes. csrss.exe is causing a crash

What version of OpenAFS is installed? Some of the versions have vulnerabilities

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Ironically I uninstalled CAM this morning. I used OpenAFS for graduate school but no longer have a need, so I'll make sure to get rid of it.

I do have a WD external - I can check for an update on that and see if one is available.

Question for you, I looked up what wininit and csrss and both are part of the Windows OS. Does that mean I need to reinstall Windows? Wonder what happened to make them start crashing.

What are you using to read the dmp files?

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
I uninstalled the remaining OpenAFS and any other programs I haven't been using. I missed uploading one of the dump files, I just added it to OneDrive. I ran WhoCrashed and this was the analysis for this one:

On Tue 2/13/2018 9:49:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021318-7410-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ataport.sys (0xFFFFF88000EB0008)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40007580, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0x12B5B9860, 0xFFFFF88000EB0008)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ataport.sys
description: ATAPI Driver Extension
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

This was probably caused by the following module: ataport.sys (0xFFFFF88000EB0008)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40007580, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0x12B5B9860, 0xFFFFF88000EB0008)
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

The dump file for these two are dated 2/13.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkPWilZ-PLOnesd0bsu8zzHOU4U

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Cool, thank you. I have an external hooked up, I scanned it but it checked out okay. Would you suggest I replace the internal hard drive and see if that's my issue? I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

oriol.delavega

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
All seems to point towards a software problem, so perhaps this is going to be a silly suggestion but... Did your problems start only AFTER installing your new switch...? If that's the case, you could try unplugging it and see if that improves your stability. Computers are very picky equipment in all that's related to power...

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Yes! They started a couple hours after wards - the switch plugs directly into the MB in place of the one in my case. I did unplug it over the weekend and still had the same problems. Thank you for your suggestion.I just went to move my tower and accidentally knocked the external HDD and it crashed. I unplugged it and was able to finally install the Windows Updates that kept failing and crashing, but trying to install Windows 10 and got a black screen. My PC was still running but everything was black.

oriol.delavega

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
That's really strange... In your case, I'd probably try to reinstall windows from scratch and see if that solves the problem. If that's not an option, you could try removing all non essential devices, including GPU (using for now the iGPU), all non-boot HDDs, etc. If you keep getting BSOD, then I'd try removing the CPU and RAM, and blowing them, the RAM slots and the socket with a can of compressed air, and reinstalling. Next thing to try would be removing one RAM stick at a time. If any of these steps seem to solve the issue, then you can start connecting devices one at a time. If not... Then i think I'd try installing from scratch no matter what...

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
I didn't have any issues last night and picked up a new external hard drive today. I figured if I could successfully back up to it without issue, my problem would have been the old external since when scanning it again via SMART test it was full of errors. Everything was going well backing up on the new hard drive tonight until my system crashed again.

I took out the RAM to test - I have two sticks. First stick I tested by itself the PC crashed immediately after Windows loaded. I took it out and swapped in the other stick, and that one crashed when I tried to backup. I put both sticks back in - the dmp files are corrupt and can't be read, and now my PC restarts by itself after 5 minutes.

lyssinflannel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lyssinflannel : "BSOD Codes 0xf4 and 0x7a - Help!"

Hi Everyone,

I started having issues with blue screens last Friday 2/9. The power switch on my Zalman case died and I plugged in a momentary switch (no software, just plug and play) to fix my problem. A few hours later, I started getting BSOD. Something to note is that whenever I try to backup, it crashes. This seems to be a good benchmark of whether or not I've corrected the problem...

My specs are the following:

Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
Hardware: ASRock, Z77 Extreme4
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8467349504 bytes total (Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe Video Card

At this point my system crashes whenever I seem to stress it and/or randomly without my doing anything.

Here's what I have done so far:

-Ran SFC and checkdisk, no issues found
-Ran the Samsung diagnostic tool for my SSD, no issues found
-Ran GSmart - no issues found on SSD, errors found on my WD external hard drive when doing the abbreviated 2 minute test. The two hour test crashed my computer, but when I logged back in the results were that my SSD was 100% and passed
-WhoCrashed identified WD drivers as causing one of the crashes, when I went to unplug my external my PC crashed again
-Ran HWinfo and normal temps, normal speeds, everything looks okay
-Picked up a new external drive to see if my old one was the issue - I was finally able to run Windows Updates (before it crashed my system), but when trying to do a system backup, it still crashed
-Removed RAM and tested one at a time - with one stick, PC booted and crashed immediately, with the other it booted and crashed later on as currently experiencing
-Ran MEMTEST overnight - did 6 passes, no issues found
-Updated drivers (NVIDIA, among others) - still crashing
-Checked cables to ensure I didn't accidentally loosen something when I was fiddling around with the RAM or momentary switch.

I am wondering if it might be my SSD even though it's passing diagnostic? It's less than two years old.

At this point I'm entirely out of ideas and not too savvy beyond what I've done. Any suggestions and help are appreciated. Thank you!

Dump files and HW info report are posted here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkPWilZ-PLOnesd0bsu8zzHOU4U

On Fri 2/16/2018 9:10:55 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!PsSetCurrentThreadPrefetching+0x6E2)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80091B0790, 0xFFFFFA80091B0A70, 0xFFFFF800035BC060)

On Wed 2/14/2018 8:32:20 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021418-17768-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xA62A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC4003E7C8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x1C13AD860, 0xFFFFF88007CF97D0)

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021318-7410-01.dmp

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-7815-01.dmp

On Mon 2/12/2018 8:01:26 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-8517-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC500313A0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xBAA15880, 0xFFFFF8A006274000)

On Mon 2/12/2018 12:32:41 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021218-7332-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40067630, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x14319DBE0, 0xFFFFF8800CEC6000)

On Sun 2/11/2018 11:20:35 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-4024-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40018EB0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x16DA74BE0, 0xFFFFF880031D6000)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:39:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-6864-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80088CA5A0, 0xFFFFFA80088CA880, 0xFFFFF8000337D010)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:22:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-7690-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800761CB00, 0xFFFFFA800761CDE0, 0xFFFFF80003369010)

On Sun 2/11/2018 10:20:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021118-8751-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC40045EE8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xC3BD7BE0, 0xFFFFF88008BDD000)