[SOLVED] BSOD SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Ntoskrnl.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
For a long while I've been having BSODs like this on my machine. All generic BSODs like this one, or FAULTY_PAGE_CORRUPTED_HARDWARE, or others I've forgotten but that googling always lead to the same results: basically, they were so generic they are attributable to everything that can go wrong in a PC: corrupted OS, bad drives, bad RAM, outdated drivers etc. Now I'm finally bruteforcing this issue in order to fix it, as it made playing games (the instances where I get these BSODs) kind of a pain.

• OS should be fine, I've run /sfc and dism multiple times
  • drives should be fine, I control them with CrystalDiskInfo pretty often. One of my HDDs is three years old, but the other one is brand new and I still get the same problems with stuff installed on it
  • temperatures are great as I live in a well climated region and the PC gets amazing airflow

Now I'm gonna update every driver I can, use DDU to clean my GPU drivers and reinstall, and run memtest/the Windows diagnostic equivalent tool. In the meanwhile, this is the .dmp of the latest crash. Googling this issue I've seen some users in this forum examining them in-depth through a debugger, that would be really appreciated.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AszPI4pVTqe0gUFLMjWtvSUJbRm3?e=WRcbur

I've had these BSODs since building this PC three years ago, they were never so frequent I had to pay them much attention, but now it's getting a bit ridicolous

Solution
@PC Tailor @Colif
I've completed the DDU reinstallation and let memtest do his thing for a whole night. Results of the latter were... Pretty bad
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AszPI4pVTqe0gUOvTXGPTHqwkZ7a?e=35XOOD
First test gave 1 error, another one during the second, I went to sleep and I woke up to 12 total errors. 12 is a lot for this, right?
Should I carry on with my maintenance routine (I still have to upgrade the BIOS and disable the drivers through autoruns, plus eventually using driver verification), or does the memetest result point at my RAM being the most likely culprit?
Even a single error on Memtest indicates RAM that needs...

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
prefer not to close it till it over.

Weirdness after waking from sleep is sure sign of old drivers not liking sleep. Could be display drivers need an update, though might be something else. I can't look at the old dumps that PC Tailor converted before as the site that hosts them deletes them after a month.
I ended up re-updating every driver I could, so no idea what would be wrong here.
Are you referring to my previous dump files? From when I opened the thread? I can reupload them if needed.

PS I re-read my previous post and realized I was a bit unclear about the crash from a couple of hours ago (the one of the dmp file). Just to be clear: I clicked on Restart, the PC went through the Shutting Down motion with the spinning rings, and then it BSOD instead of just turning off.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/MFhV.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck A
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiDereferenceControlAreaPfnList+20 )

Bugcheck Description:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at an invalid address while at a raised interrupt request level (IRQL).
This is typically either a bad pointer or a pageability problem.

P1 is the address that could not be referenced."

About your bugcheck:
"Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device drivers using improper addresses. This is either a bad memory pointer or a pageability problem with the device driver code. Examine the third party drivers .

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen."

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.

• Scarlet crush driver running.
  • There may be an AMD video card driver update available.
  • iBall peripheral may be causing some concern.
  • A few older Intel drivers may need to be updated.

Last time I had stop error problems waking up from sleep it was always one of my peripheral devices, nailed it down to my mouse in the end. So may be worth considering.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ended up re-updating every driver I could, so no idea what would be wrong here.
Are you referring to my previous dump files? From when I opened the thread? I can reupload them if needed.

no, i was just going to look at them to see what specs of PC were

try turning fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

not shutting down properly, not waking from sleep properly, all point at an old driver.

we went through scarlet crush already, I found a version from 2016 but they still cause BSOD.

t_mouse.sys
03/12/2012iBalliBall Mouse Driver

Yes, mouse drivers from 2012 sure won't know the new power modes in win 10. That same driver also sets of BSOD in Win 7 so I would replace or remove it?

I was just about to ask him to use driverview and then you posted.

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/MFhV.html

Summary of findings:

About your bugcheck:

"Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device drivers using improper addresses. This is either a bad memory pointer or a pageability problem with the device driver code. Examine the third party drivers .

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen."

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.

• Scarlet crush driver running.
  • There may be an AMD video card driver update available.
  • iBall peripheral may be causing some concern.
  • A few older Intel drivers may need to be updated.
Last time I had stop error problems waking up from sleep it was always one of my peripheral devices, nailed it down to my mouse in the end. So may be worth considering.
Ugh, I could have sworn I disabled the VBox stuff already.

Event viewer only tells me this, from the time of the crash:
View: https://imgur.com/LbeRNcX

First time hearing of this iBall thing, my mouse is the one in the CM Devastator bundle. I never had to fiddle with mouse drivers by myself, it has always been plug and play for me.
As mentioned before, I updated every driver I could. GPU has one, but it's optional.

Guess Scarlet Crash could once again be fingered as the most suspectable culprit.

@Colif Thanks for the headsup. Again, I have no idea how I ended up with that driver in the first place, never had to manually take care of mouse drivers, I simply plugged it in and let Windows do his thing, how should I approach this? If I just disable it wouldn't my mouse stop working?