[SOLVED] BSOD: system_service_exception nvlddmkm.sys

Barney88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Hy guys. A couple of weeks ago I updated my GPU driver to the latest (4711.11). Unfortunately, since then I have constantly BSODs that nvlddmkr crashed. I tried cleaning the drivers with DDU and tested like 10 older drivers, but still the same. I also reinstalled windows on a formatted SSD and installed only the driver which comes with windows updates. But still the same. Tested the VRAM and the GPU with OCCT, no errors found. The PC runs fine under heavy load for even 24 hours and there are also no issues during gaming. The problem occurs in idle and random usage on EDGE. It could be that the new driver broke my GPU? Can someone help me? I can post the last 2 crash dumps.

Solution
That psu is sketchy at best. One thing you never cheap out on in a PC is the psu. I would put the old one back in, send that one back to Amazon and get a decent psu. For a few bucks more you could get a EVGA Supernova, its even on sale for $55 currently

The causes of your bs could be from heat, low or high power issues on the psu etc. I would be looking more at the psu, its just a coincidence that you updated drivers at the same time and automatically suspect that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are full specs of the PC?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Barney88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Thanks for the fast reply.

Full PC specs are:
MB: Gigabyte z97m-d3h
CPU: Intel I7 4790
GPU: Aorus GTX 1080
Ram: Corsair 16 GB (2 x 8.192 MB) 11-11-11-30
PSU: Abkoncore Tenergy 600W, 80+ Bronze
SSD: Samsung Pro 512 GB sata
HDD: WD 1TB
2X Monitors connected via HDMI and DVI

The BIOS is up to date and I reflashed it also 2 weeks ago. VBIOS also up to date (that I do not know how to reflash).

BSOD: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvCvtkmABL2Zg5tKrVNlxe-_gfruPw?e=0xhYg4

Barney88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Okay, thanks a lot. I'm already weary curious because the PC was running more than fine for years. The only thing I've replaced 2 months ago is the PSU (i do not know how reliable is this brand / also it was around 50 bucks). And suddenly after the latest Nvidia driver installs, it keeps crashing. Does not matter if clean windows install or older drivers. That's why I'm suspecting that the latest driver did break the GPU...

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
That psu is sketchy at best. One thing you never cheap out on in a PC is the psu. I would put the old one back in, send that one back to Amazon and get a decent psu. For a few bucks more you could get a EVGA Supernova, its even on sale for $55 currently

The causes of your bs could be from heat, low or high power issues on the psu etc. I would be looking more at the psu, its just a coincidence that you updated drivers at the same time and automatically suspect that.

Reactions: Barney88
Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/91yqf5jx/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:071421-6046-01.dmp (Jul 13 2021 - 19:38:03)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:071321-6390-01.dmp (Jul 13 2021 - 12:59:25)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: AORUS.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)
The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97M-D3H-rev-10#ov

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Barney88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021

I was already thinking of it, but the old PSU is dead so I don't have anything to replace it with. But I will purchase a new one. Unfortunately, the delivery for the EVGA is like 5 days in my country but I can get others for tomorrow to test it. What do you think of one of these 2: Gigabyte P850GM Full modular 80 plus gold 850w / Corsair RM750 power supply unit 750 W ????

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
I was already thinking of it, but the old PSU is dead so I don't have anything to replace it with. But I will purchase a new one. Unfortunately, the delivery for the EVGA is like 5 days in my country but I can get others for tomorrow to test it. What do you think of one of these 2: Gigabyte P850GM Full modular 80 plus gold 850w / Corsair RM750 power supply unit 750 W ????
Corsair RM750 I dont know who makes the Gigabyte PSUs
I personally have the 550 in my granddaughters pc, been in for 2 years and still running strong.

All of these companies do not make power supplies, well some do. But the majority have them made for them and slap their logo on them. I, for the most part only use Seasonic, I do have an EVGA Supernova 850 sitting in my garage as a backup. Got it on sale and bought it strictly for that reason.

Seasonic and Superflower are the best when it comes to power supplies. I think JonnyGuru, the long time PC Power Supply reviewer went to work for Corsair, so thats a plus!
Here is a site, its kind of old, but still shows the majority of psu manufacturers and who makes them, EVGA for the most part uses Superflower and Seasonic, with some FSP mixed in,FSP are an OK one as well but I try to stick to the 2 major ones.

I learned a long time ago, it was a costly lesson too, that you never cheap out on a power supply, as Seasonics slogan states..."The heart of your system" That is where you don't cut corners.

Jul 16, 2021
I have been having this same error when playing games. Games will lock up and crash, but I have no BSOD. I have an AMD 5950x, RTX 3090, 32 GB ram. I have tried two different power supplies from Corsair (750w and 1200w) with no change in the crashing. There are no thermal problems, I have a custom water loop. The only thing that has somewhat worked is reverting to older drivers. On the latest driver, games crashed within minutes. After reverting to an old driver, the crashes happen less often. I am also worried about the card because if there is a hardware issue, it will be hard to RMA since I installed a water block.

Jul 17, 2021
I have been having this same error when playing games. Games will lock up and crash, but I have no BSOD. I have an AMD 5950x, RTX 3090, 32 GB ram. I have tried two different power supplies from Corsair (750w and 1200w) with no change in the crashing. There are no thermal problems, I have a custom water loop. The only thing that has somewhat worked is reverting to older drivers. On the latest driver, games crashed within minutes. After reverting to an old driver, the crashes happen less often. I am also worried about the card because if there is a hardware issue, it will be hard to RMA since I installed a water block.
Hi, already sorry for the google translation. oKazuhiro I had the exact same problem as you. 3900x - Asus Strix 3090 OC - 32 GB RAM - Asus STRIX X570-E GAMING - Corsair HXi Series HX850i 850w Platinium - LG 34GN850-B G-sync. Link to images of my setup for more information View: https://imgur.com/a/RaJZQW3

Driver 471.11 = error display / nvlddmkm
Driver 466.47 = error display / nvlddmkm
Finally I have DDU and let windows 10 21H1 install my Nvidia drivers (456.71) then I just reinstall Geforce experience and for the moment no more problems.
I'll keep you posted if there's anything new.

Barney88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Hy guys. On the advice of Loadedaxe, I replaced the PSU with a new Corsair RM750, and surprise surprise, there are no more BSODs for a weak!!!!! Gaming on the highest load is working fine for hours, working in chrome and edge the same. Also, no crashes in idle or in sleep mode!!!! I'm running a clean windows install, with the 456.71 driver installed by Windows. I've learned my lesson to never cheap out the PSU from a gaming PC. Thanks, guys!!!

Reactions: Loadedaxe