[SOLVED] BSOD (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
So I built a new computer and recently got a bsod (read title). I read the dump file, here it is: https://pastebin.com/31iF3ydA
Any guess on what's wrong?

My build:
Windows 10
GPU: rx 5700
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
MB: Aorus x570 elite
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x8 @ 3000mhz
PSU: rm850x

Edit: I also enabled XMP profile to clock my ram to its advertised speed. Could that cause a BSOD?

Last edited:
Solution
Indeed it is. The native speed is @ 2133mhz and advertised speed seems to be 3000mhz. But i clocked it to 3004mhz, is that an issue? As i clocked it a bit more than advertised.

This is your problem.

DDR4-3000 on Ryzen runs at 2933. Running it at 3004 without changing anything else is making it unstable. Set it to 2933.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You only got one? or its happened a few times? It appears to be blaminga driver but as usual, its not telling us which.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
You only got one? or its happened a few times? It appears to be blaminga driver but as usual, its not telling us which.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
Ive got it 2 times right now. It happens randomly. There are no steps to this cause. It just seems to happen at some point

Edit: I got a new bsod: System_thread_exception_not_handled

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wait until we have looked at the dump files before updating bios.

see if this helps
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thats the hammer approach,

Try this
search for command prompt and on the app result, right click it and select run as administrator
if you have an ssd type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
If you have a hdd, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, type Y and press enter to agree to running it at startup
restart PC and let chkdsk scan boot drive

other fixes include updating drivers

what anti virus are you using?

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Thats the hammer approach,

Try this
search for command prompt and on the app result, right click it and select run as administrator
if you have an ssd type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
If you have a hdd, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, type Y and press enter to agree to running it at startup
restart PC and let chkdsk scan boot drive

other fixes include updating drivers

what anti virus are you using?
That ive tried already, it says there are some corrupt files, and when i tried to repair it after restart, no changes were made. I have no antivirus except for windows defender.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you run SFC /scannow? I didn't notice a reply?

while we wait for a new BSOD, you could download and run driverview - all it does is shows running drivers
when you run it, click on view tab and choose hide all microsoft drivers
can you give me a screenshot that shows the columns from and including driver name and ending on creation date
upload to an image sharing website and show link here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

might be able to guess what is causing errors

Last edited:

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
did you run SFC /scannow? I didn't notice a reply?

while we wait for a new BSOD, you could download and run driverview - all it does is shows running drivers
when you run it, click on view tab and choose hide all microsoft drivers
can you give me a screenshot that shows the columns from and including driver name and ending on creation date
upload to an image sharing website and show link here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

might be able to guess what is causing errors
Yeah, I also ran sfc /scannow. It does certainly display some "corrupted system files" but then when i try to repair and restart, it does check boot driver and repairs. But when I check the boot drive again using sfc /scannow the same respond pops up with "corrupted system files". That must give a clue that windows is at fault here, is it not?

Edit: I also posted on gigabyte forum and they said it is a ram BSOD.

Edit2: I might have found the problem. Namely my ram is advertised @ 3000mhz, but in bios i enabled 3004mhz. Could this be the issue all along?

Last edited:

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

another approach is to do a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
But could ram overclocking cause this issue? I enabled xmp profile first thing and enabled it at 3004mhz, whereas i disabled on another pc recently built with similar cpu (ryzen 5 3600) and it worked wonders.