Question "BSOD: "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap" when running Premiere Pro, and other issues ?

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hi,

I keep having problems with my win 10 on several fronts recently:

1. The main one is when using Premiere Pro but I suspect that these issues are not from PP itself (can't be sure of course) but from something else in the system, I get different BSODs and crashes of the software itself (one of them is Unexpected kernel mode trap BSOD but there are others like Page fault in nonpaged area bsod and others). I tried many things and been trying my luck with Microsoft forums - so far with no resolution.

I fully reinstalled my Nvidia drivers using DDU on safe mode (using the latest studio drivers on my RX 4700), all MB drivers should be up to date although with MSI boards there is no simple way I know of to remove the drives and re-install them (if you know how to do this let me know).

There are two other issues - one minor and one very annoying as well which might or (possibly) might not be related:

2. Windows seems to be fully updated BUT I am stuck with 0x80070643 error - its been months and MS still doesn't seem to have a fix which does not involve massing up with partitions (trying to do this resulted in more errors which might have made things even worse for my installation - and yes I did SFC and DISM many time with no luck).

3. The other very annoying issue started fairly reently (I don't know when or how exactly). But it seems that I can't connect any new USB devices to the computer (to any USB port) and only existing ones are recognized in the device manager. Maybe something to do with USB driver recogniztion - I really don't know. I tried all sorts of things and most of them just got the situation worse so I had to get back to a restore point several times. This also does not allow me to run memtest86 to make sure my RAM is fine as the thumb drive I try to use for that is not working in the bios (each time I choose the drive after boot it does not runmemtest86 which is super strange, plus my normal mouse stopped working in the bios but still works in Windows - again I have no idea what is going on here).

This is a primary high end work desktop PC and editing video is my job so every day (actually hour) that I can't edit is crucial so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Potentially usefuly info:

Here is a link to my minidumps - there are 5 just from recent BSODs :( - I also added a system info file in an NFO format if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1zje7zzch96tkbctx4dzs/AIZH86ki2Jz08X407dLKbDw?rlkey=v3ltwxhmuijjg8yskbmauyycb&dl=0

Thanks in advance,

Id

ubuysa

Distinguished
Taking your five dumps as a whole I think the common denominator here is RAM. You have had a double-fault exception (that's an exception whilst running an exception handler), an invalid memory access violation whilst cleaning up page tables, a page fault and probable instruction pointer error in a Microsoft driver, and two corrupted list entry structure BSODs.

Some of these bugchecks could be caused by flaky third-party drivers but, taken as a whole, bad RAM is much more likely. I can see from the dump that you have 2 x 32GB RAM sticks installed and if you run Memtest86 to test that it's going to take a very long time. You won't be able to use the PC at all during the Memtest86 runs either.

A better option for you, and also a more reliable test, is to remove one of those RAM sticks. Check the motherboard manual to ensure you populate the correct slot for only one RAM stick. Run on just one RAM stick for two or three days, or until you get another BSOD. Then swap RAM sticks and run on just the other stick for two or three days, or until you get another BSOD.

You'll soon see whether one of the sticks is faulty. Plus, you'll be able to work near normally whilst we 'test' the one RAM stick that's installed.

As well as explaining the five dumps, bad RAM would explain all the other strange issues that you have.

Reactions: Satan-IR

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree it can be RAM. Dumps and issues you said point to RAM.

Your board is MEG Z790 ACE, right?

You're CPU is i9 13900K.

Your RAM kit has part number CMK96GX5M2B5600C40, right?

I can't find that part number (CMK96GX5M2B5600C40) on the compatibility under support page of the motherboard when searching for RAM compatible with 13th Gen K series here. This could mean they haven't tested the board with these specific kits. Chances are they aren't playing nice with the CPU+MOBO combo.

chiKgIw.png

Anyway I would suggest testing the RAM with MemTest86 as @ubuysa instructed. Aslo a good idea to check and use system for a while with either of the sticks and see if you can isolate one with a problem. Do both MemTest86 and using them one by one.

Reactions: ubuysa

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the answers.

A few points:
1. I wasn't able to run memtest86 - I tried but I have a very strange issue where when I use a thumb drive with memtest and select to run it at startup in the bios (F11 and selecting the drive) it doesn't go to memtest and instead just goes back to the bios page to select which drive to run - any ideas why? (again all my USB ports are not very responsive to new devices which is another part of the whole problem I am having).

2. I did run the Windows memory diagnostic test and got no errors (not sure how stressful it is compared to memtest and if you can trust it enough to say that the memory is working fine.

3. I have an 2X48GB DDR 5 of RAM from Corsair - see info:
https://ibb.co/mDvQXvb

I have been running this memory setup since I got the PC for over a year without problems (maybe a rare crush here and there but nothing like what is going on now where PP crashes each time I am using it after a few min). So unless something happened to the memory recently - I don't know.

I somehow still think it's software related but it's more of a feeling than anything else.

Id

ubuysa

Distinguished
In that case remove one RAM stick and run on just the one for a week or so - or until you get a BSOD. Then swap sticks and run on just the other for a week or so - or until you get a BSOD. Check your motherboard manual for the right slot to use for a single RAM stick.

Like everything else, RAM fails eventually. Sometimes it fails early and sometimes it fails late. You cannot assume that because it's been OK for over a year that it must still be good. You have to test it. We don't deal in guesses or assumptions.

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Fair enough - currently PP seems to run fine but the next time I get a BSOD I will try this suggestion and see what happens.

Regarding my ongoing USB issues (basically almost any device aside from an old wired mouse) that I connect to my PC doesn't seem to work.

I installed USBDeviceTreeViewer - I don't know much about this complex software but trying to connect a number of devices (thumb drives a new Logitech camera that was not connected to this computer before) I get:
Status : 0x01802400 (DN_HAS_PROBLEM, DN_DISABLEABLE, DN_NT_ENUMERATOR, DN_NT_DRIVER)
Problem Code : 28 (CM_PROB_FAILED_INSTALL)

This was not something that existed before so I am not sure what I can do - suggestions?

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
I am using MSI center so yes. But I will try and uninstall them and re-install them - hopefully, this will not cause even more problems...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Also are you OCing the CPU + RAM? If yes, have you tried to see how PC workds without the OC? I would reset BIOS to defaults or do a clear CMOS.

I am using MSI center
Is this one of those application/suites that motherboard manufacturer provides that is supposed to keep everything updated? These usually cause more problems than solve them. No matter if the board is MSI, Asus or Gigabytes or other brands. These applications cause more problems.

I would uninstall that. You can always source updates to BIOS, chipset and drivers to other functions of boards from manufactueres' websites.

As for RAM, as said above, well failing or starting to in a component is a one time incident that can happen any time. Sometimes the component just dies and sometimes it starts going bad takes some time. RAM having worked for a year doesn't mean it can't fail or start to deteriorate.

That shot from HWiNFO shows the part number I posted above. That part number is not on the MSI QVL for this board as far as I could see. That means they didn't test it or tested it and saw problems and that's why it's not on the list. Checking with Memory Diagnostic Tool is not difinitive. Neither is MemTest86. I've seen bad RAM that pass through those tests.

The way to isolate a possible bad RAM module/stick out of a pair or two pairs (apart from above tests) is to physically use one at a time, and see how it goes. As suggested above, keep one in the slot MSI instructs for single stick use and use PC for a few days. If no crash, probably that RAM stick is OK. If it crashes might be bad, take out, try the other stick for a few days. Same thing applies.

Is the Premiere Pro up to date? To latest avilable version/build? Some of these software come with dodgy drivers and they cause these kind of BSODs and crashes and sometimes companies fix them.

Is the Nvidia Studio Driver the latest version?

Also not being able to use any other USB device on the board apart from chipset not being up to date can mean a hardware issue with the motherboard. Is there a yellow triange with an ! in the Windows Devide Manager next to anything USB-related like Universal Serial Bus controllers or something like that?

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hi,
We had a holiday around here.
Anyway - I can remove the MSI center - the problem is that if I don't have it I need to go and individually update all sorts of drives and it's annoying and not something that I typically remember to do on a regular basis.

PP is of course fully updated.

I am already doing the RAM thing.

So far with a single RAM stick, I have had no crashes in PP (I had one crash in total but I am not sure what happened - the logs are strange so I am disregarding it - previously PP was crashing 3-4 times a day). I'll give it another day and than I will try the other RAM.

There is the option that it will also work fine and only when the two are together are there issues and then it can be the MB or bios or software.

As for the USB - I have one unrecognized USB device under "other devices" (all other USB devices are fine). It was suggested to me to disconnect all of my many many USB devices and keep only a basic mouse and keyboard and see if this help - I will try that soon.

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Update on the USB issue.
I disconnected ALL my USB devices (I have a lot) and left only an old mouse and my keyboard nothing else (they work as do all the things that were connected already to the PC) but anything else that I try to connect such as thumb drives, SSDs, webcams do not work and are marked as unknown devices code 28.

I am at the end of my knowledge base and out of ideas - what else can I try to resolve this?

ubuysa

Distinguished
Let's get hold of some more comprehensive troubleshooting data then and see whether that helps.

Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resultant zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. Be sure to make it public (so we don't have to login to download the zip file).

The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp does not collect any personally identifying information, it's perfectly safe, and it#s used by several respected Windows help forums. You can look at the files in the zip file, mostly they are txt files, but please don't change or delete anything. If you want to know what data these files contain there are full details here.

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hi,
Thanks (the link didn't work but I found the software and ran it):
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/zcc0...1o793_3o?rlkey=q2zetjqbzlsb2iprxkn49sckb&dl=0
It did skip one thing due to it taking too long.

B.T.W. since this morning my add on 10gbe network card stopped working (maybe something to do with its drivers (not sure with all these playing around with trying to fix one thing other things get broken) maybe you will see something in this info about it as well - its an intel card.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Thanks for that.

There seems to be issues with a couple of devices...
Code:
Loupedeck+    USB\VID_2EC2&PID_0002&MI_00\7&70E9C97&0&0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    STORAGE\VOLUME\{E21E3A7D-2412-11EE-938C-806E6F6E6963}#000001D180A00000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
The Loupedeck+ console is missing drivers, how much of a problem that is only you will know. The Not available device may be the Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, and again, how much of a difference missing drivers makes only you will know. Missing drivers can cause BSODs however.

In addition, there are hundreds and hundreds of these informational messages in yur System log...
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-UserModePowerService
Date:          28/04/2024 12:08:10
Event ID:      12
Task Category: (10)
Level:         Information
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-7VQ2KBV
Description:
Process C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\MSI Center\MSI.CentralServer.exe (process ID:8396) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
They are all identical, so MSI Center is constantly switching the same power schemes. That doesn't look sensible or normal to me. It might be worth disabling MSI Center for a while as a test.

There also seem to be networking problems. There are a few warning messages for igxbt.sys which is, I suspect, an Intel Bluetooth driver. In addition there are warning from a problem with BITS (the background transfer service, used by Windows Update and others)...
Code:
Source:        ixgbt
Date:          21/04/2024 04:30:04
Event ID:      27
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID 27 from source ixgbt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Ada... [14,0,1]

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client
Date:          26/04/2024 04:51:08
Event ID:      16393
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
BITS has encountered an error communicating with an Internet Gateway Device.  Please check that the device is functioning properly. BITS will not attempt to use this device until the next system reboot. Error code: 0x80040500.
In addition, there are lots and lots of networking issues reported in your APplication log...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          28/04/2024 12:05:21
Event ID:      1001
Level:         Information
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: ScriptedDiagFailure
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft Corporation.NetworkDiagnosticsNetworkAdapter.4.0
P2: 1255945782
P3: 1.0.0.0
P4: Default
P5: 
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER61C2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Corpor_7fe27c5b4eee67fb673842d65564929f3d8b65d_00000000_b8f512c9-c6e8-4d46-8a0e-47d93e2c8017

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b8f512c9-c6e8-4d46-8a0e-47d93e2c8017
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket: 
Cab Guid: 0
I would check the drivers for your network adapter.

There are error messages for what I think is a Brother printer utility...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        WorkflowAppControl
Date:          28/04/2024 03:01:52
Event ID:      65535
Level:         Error
Description:
The description for Event ID 65535 from source WorkflowAppControl cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Start Broadcast Receiver Server...

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

TBH this doesn't look to be a happy or stable system at all. Those UserModePowerService messages worry me more than anything else, just because the log is flooded with them, but I think that there is more than one cause of your issues, I rather think this is just a messed-up system. I would start again if it were mine.

Iddo Genuth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Many thanks for the in-depth analysis.
I see.
For the time being, I will remove the MSI Center software (I don't think it will help much but there is no reason not to try - it is a shame since it is easier to update through it but I guess in the future I will have to take the more complex road and physically go and find each driver on the MSI site why doesn't MS found a better way for a true centralized driver update tool in 2024 I really don't know).

I will be going on vacation next week so re-installing Win 10 will have to wait for at least another week and a half (I have a LOT of software with lots of plugins and settings and I would don't like to lose them - I am guessing there is no way of keeping these and still re-install the OS right?),

On that note any suggestions on the simplest and safest (in the sense of not running into all these issues again) install strategy for Windows 10?