[SOLVED] BSOD "Unexpected Store Exception", and now Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor are not working ?

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So I receieved my first BSOD on this PC since I purchased it a year ago. The BSOD Stop Code was "Unexpected Store Exception". The BSOD screen said it was going to collect some error info and then I can restart. I waited for a good 20 minutes for the BSOD to collect the error info and it never moved past 0%. So I did a hard reboot.

After reboot I went to check Reliability Monitor and it was blank. It still had some previous problem reports saved, but the timeline was empty.

So I went to load up Event Viewer and got the following message: "Event log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running.". I went into services and tried to start it manually, but I ended up with the same result.

I have no clue what to do next or even where to start. Who knows what else isn't working now after that BSOD.

Solution
See if PC is more stable with the new PSU. The old one could be cause of all the problems. I didn't realise you hadn't swapped it out yet.

I doubt I would buy a pre built as you don't know when it was made, and can't pick parts. There are places that do let you pick every part (from their stock) and you can avoid pitfalls. A friend has used one such place for his last 3 computers and hasn't had any problems associated with parts picked for about 10 years now.

When 3080s were hard to get, a lot of companies used it as a way to dump stock no one would buy. Remember they had a package deal going where if you wanted a GPU you had to take something else, be it a bad PSU or a motherboard in some cases. SO MSI paired the CWT PSU with a 3080...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC?

Unexpected store exception is a virtual memory error. The store in question is used by the CPU to track the locations of files in Virtual memory. Their actual location is either ram or Page file

the additional problems could mean its the C drive. If you give me the make/model of C drive I can probably find a test for it.

If problem is the drive, it won't create this:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Specs:
Processor - Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60 GHz
Memory - 32 GB DDR4 (4 x 8 GB) 3000 MHz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Power Supply - 750W 80+ Gold
Motherboard- MSI ATX (PRO)
Chipset - Intel Z590
Storage - 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD (C:\) + 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD
(D:\)

HDD's:
Index MediaType Model SerialNumber
0 Fixed hard disk media ADATA SWORDFISH 0000_0000_0100_0000_00E0_4C15_40D2_E288. ------------------------> (C:\)
1 Fixed hard disk media ST2000DM008-2FR102 ZFL2XWXG ------------------------>(D:\)

Minidump:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmxv2g699kw2mi6/Minidump.zip?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Here are the results of the 4 dump files provided above
results - click run as fiddle if you want to look

File: 070522-6546-01.dmp (Jul 6 2022 - 13:06:12)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File: 052122-7906-01.dmp (May 22 2022 - 15:50:51)
BugCheck: [VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL (10E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime: 9 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File: 042422-7750-01.dmp (Apr 25 2022 - 15:40:25)
BugCheck: [VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL (10E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime: 10 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File: 041022-9156-01.dmp (Apr 11 2022 - 00:55:40)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 11 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.
How long you been using 2 different types of ram?
8192MB3001MHzCrucial TechnologyBL8G30C15U4R.8FE
8192MB3001MHzCrucial TechnologyBL8G30C15U4R.M8FE
8192MB3001MHzCrucial TechnologyBL8G30C15U4R.8FE
8192MB3001MHzCrucial TechnologyBL8G30C15U4R.M8FE
as that could be cause. Mixing 2 sets can lead to errors. Intel CPU better at dealing with it than AMD, but its worth considering

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Two BSOD appear to be caused by GPU drivers. dwm.exe - Windows Desktop Manager. It sits between GPU drivers and windows

try running DDU in safe mode, remove the Nvidia drivers, and once back in normal mode either download them direct from Nvidia or run windows update and allow windows to find older more stable drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Crash 4 mentions NDIS.sys. Its used by Windows to talk to LAN drivers so try running this and see if anything newer - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well damn, I really thought when I bought the extra 2x 8gb ram sticks that they were the exact same as the ones that came with the PC. I think I purchased them a few months after I bought the PC. So I've had them for about 10 months now.

As for the overclocking driver, I don't think it's being used. I installed MSI afterburner to see what sort of monitoring capailities it had, but as far as I know it's never running. I tend to use GPU-Z if I am trying to keep an eye on things.

Possibly referring to the "Two BSOD" that you mentioned, I had several other crashes in the past, but those were to a black screen. I have a different post from about a week ago trying to determine the cause of that problem. Since I switched out my originaly RTX 3080 for an RTX 3070 I haven't had the black screen crashes anymore. Most seem to think those crashes to a black screen are due to transient power spikes from the RTX 3080 which my 750w power supply can't handle. But I plan to reinstall the 3080 as soon as my new 1000w PSU arrives and see if that fixes that issue. (That post is here if you want to check it out and see if there's any other valuable information: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...and-fans-go-full-blast.3775618/#post-22785761 )

I ran both the quick and the full diagnostic tests on the SSD with adata toolbox. And I ran the self test on the seagate drive with seatools. Both drives passed the tests as far as I can tell.

As for the rest of your findings, I will get on that stuff first thing in the moring tomorrow and post back. Appreciate the help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if they been in 10 months and problems are only recent, they unlikely to be cause.

I have noticed in the past that if you make changes to a PC, that can somehow make something else play up. Could just be as simple as the change in power draw in system... i don't know.

which of the PSU did you pick?
those spikes reason I probably get an AMD gpu next, I prefer not to replace PSU if I can avoid it.

I didn't look at dates on the reports, I just ran them :)
SO yeah, I guess the only dump I should have looked at was the 1st one.

Um, do you use a VPN? It mentioned Agile VPN in error text but I don't see a driver for it.

do you have, or have you had, a Gigabyte GPU as I see
Jul 26 2008MODAPI.sysModAPI Development Kit driver or RGB Fusion
But you have an MSI Motherboard

See if this helps with event viewer not working
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Last edited:

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I actually meant to say I got the 1200w PSU. It's the Corsair HX1200.

Here's the dates on the minidumps:
https://ibb.co/0BdVVNG

The 3080 is an MSI card. The 3070 is a PNY.

I ran that command in powershell and received the following error:
https://ibb.co/rdGVWmh

I ran the SFC and got the following error:
https://ibb.co/K9ZBm6k

I've linked that CBS.log file in case you need to look at it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbm0dmv7f79ep3y/CBS.log?dl=0
Post a screenshot from crystal disk info for all disk.

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Quick Update:

So while gaming again I had another crash. This time, the PC just froze. No BSOD or anything. I could still move my mouse cursor, but nothing else would do anything(crtl-alt-del, alt-f4, alt-tab, etc...).

I removed the two "BL8G30C15U4R.M8FE" RAM sticks and rebooted. The system started up much slower and would intermittently become quite laggy. It took Opera GX about a minute to load and task manager about 30 seconds or so. Since I've had bad memory in a PC before and experienced the same symptons I figured I'd swap the memory sticks and try again. The PC booted nice and quick. Programs are loading fast. And I've ran my game for about 3 hours now with no issues. Fingers crossed that at least ONE of my problems is resolved.

However, I still cannot load up event viewer and I'm worried that the crashes from the bad memory have left some lasting negative effects. Should I look into possibly reinstalling windows to fix that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, its possible the bad ram (if that is what cause is) can corrupt files. A clean install could help

if you have bad sticks you can't trust any dump results

I would Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

one fix for CRC error is
run chkdsk c: /f in command prompt (admin)
2 paragraphs will pop up, select Yes to let it run on restart.
restart PC to let it run

then re run the 2 commands. SFC should be able to correct files if the other command finishes.

defrag any hard drives also helps (not so much on ssd)

Last edited:

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, its possible the bad ram (if that is what cause is) can corrupt files. A clean install could help

if you have bad sticks you can't trust any dump results

I would Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

one fix for CRC error is
run chkdsk c: /f in command prompt (admin)
2 paragraphs will pop up, select Yes to let it run on restart.
restart PC to let it run

then re run the 2 commands. SFC should be able to correct files if the other command finishes.

defrag any hard drives also helps (not so much on ssd)

I received the same errors as the first time after running chkdsk.

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
which errors? crc ones?

open file explorer
right click drive
choose tools
under error checking, click scan

If it can't do it, next choice is reformat drive.

After running "chkdsk c: /f" I ran the two same commands as prior and got the same errors in the pics i posted.

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
https://ibb.co/rdGVWmh

SFC /scannow
https://ibb.co/K9ZBm6k

While typing this out I was running that disk scan in file explorer properties and got another BSOD "Sytem Service Exception". Beforehand I had put my PC to sleep for a few hours and after waking it up it was running a bit clunky, Opera GX kept taking forever to do anything. I tried to open task manager and that took forever. This was all just before I started that scan on the C: drive and during the scan as well. Then the BSOD happened. Everything seemed oddly familiar to yesterday when I had tried swapping memory out. Thankfully Opera saved most of what I had already typed up. I feel like at this point I should do a format and reinstall. As much as I really don't want to. But I have no clue to be honest.

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PSU is a CWT GPU750V.

I started running memtest86 today. I did a bit of reading about memtest86 and a lot of what I read said that I should be doing as many passes as possible. At least 8 and as many as 32. But today I just don't have the patience for that. So I tested the first module on 4 passes before realizing it was going to take 2 hours each at 4 passes. So to get a quick test in for today I ran the remaining three modules each for 1 pass. All four of the modules tested found 0 errors so far.

If you think it's necessary I can run each module for like 16 passes per day, one module a day, for the next four days while I am at work.

That's my plan unless you think it's unnecessary to go that crazy with the passes. Or if you think I should move onto trying something else.

Colif

Win 11 Master
free memtest only lets you run at most 4 passes, so that is generally all I suggest now.
8 is ideal as it puts as much stress on system as possible and if a stick survives 8 in a row with no errors, its probably okay. But since you have to pay for that many, I just suggest 4.

I actually meant to say I got the 1200w PSU. It's the Corsair HX1200.
PSU is a CWT GPU750V.
was the Channel Well Technology PSU the old one installed by MSI, and you replaced it with the Corsair?
Is it gone now? Have you actually replaced it?

if its still there it could be still a problem.

bad PSU can kill parts attached to them. Such as storage, ram... anything else. if the 750w couldn't support the GPU, it also would have been unreliable for other parts too. I killed about 4 hdd's by attaching them to bad PSU and not realising what was the cause... I blamed the drives for a long time. I only buy good PSU now as then rest of parts won't die prematurely, i haven't had a dead drive in at least 10 years now.

Last edited:

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The CWT PSU is the one that came with this pre-built MSI PC. The Corsair is arriving tomorrow. I plan to install it the second it arrives. Is there a way to test the integrity of the CWT PSU?

On a side-note. When I bought this pre-built it was $2600. At the time, RTX 3080's were going for near $1200 by themselves. And that was only if you could get your hands on one. I still think I paid way too much, but I had extra funds and was super impatient. Apart from this MSI pre-built, I have never, and will NEVER EVER EVER EVER agian, buy a pre-built PC. Over the last 25 years I have never had this many problems with a PC that I built myself.

Now that I'm done venting. I have so far ran both of the "BL8G30C15U4R.M8FE " ram modules for 4 passes and they've both passed. I will run the other two modules over night and while I'm at work tomorrow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if PC is more stable with the new PSU. The old one could be cause of all the problems. I didn't realise you hadn't swapped it out yet.

I doubt I would buy a pre built as you don't know when it was made, and can't pick parts. There are places that do let you pick every part (from their stock) and you can avoid pitfalls. A friend has used one such place for his last 3 computers and hasn't had any problems associated with parts picked for about 10 years now.

When 3080s were hard to get, a lot of companies used it as a way to dump stock no one would buy. Remember they had a package deal going where if you wanted a GPU you had to take something else, be it a bad PSU or a motherboard in some cases. SO MSI paired the CWT PSU with a 3080 and laughed all way to bank. They weren't only one, Dell knew people were buying their PC just to get the GPU and were packing them full of garbage parts - and the GPU were pretty bad. 2020, the year of dumping stuff on customers.

Its only the big companies I would avoid. Little places care about reputation more.

PSU tests: You can use a Multimeter to test the PSU under load - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
Or look in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
Multimeter is better as it can see load values, BIOS normally doesn't stress PC that much.

Solution

t1z

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bad news. This PSU will fit in my case, but only if I have the cables completely jam packed up against the hard disk trays. I was barely able to take out the old PSU and it's a good inch shorter than the new one. I might pick up a corsair rm1000x from the local best buy since google says it's almost an inch shorter than the corsair hx1200 that I purchased. My other option is to buy a new case, but I really really really really don't want to have to transfer everything to a new case.

Anyhow, I'll make a decision tomorrow after work and one way or another I'll be posting back in the next week or so and let you know how it goes. If I mark your post as best answer will it close this thread for new posts?