[SOLVED] BSOD: Video TDR failiure

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I get frequent BSODs in Win10, at times it's 1 a day, with various messages. Often it's memory management, but there's a wide variety of other messages as well. One that comes up frequently is Video TDR failiure and then it also mentions a file titled something like atikmpag.sys (probably got that a little wrong, didn't have time to write it down).

When I get a Video TDR failiure it is sometimes preceded by the screen going black for a second then coming back and then I'm hit with a BSOD.

I have another video related issue which is that sometimes video files will not show any video, only play audio and I have to remove the graphics card from Device Manager and reinstall it in order for image to come back in video files. Usually this works, sometimes it just gives me a green screen in the videos.

Now, I was convinced that my BSOD problem is due to my RAM, which shows a ton of errors on memtest, but I'm wondering now whether faulty RAM can account for these TDR failure messages or whether it's more likely that I have two independent issues - one with RAM, one with the graphics card. Is it possible that the issue is with the MB and that the MB somehow causes graphics issues and causes the RAM to show errors on memtest?

Solution
I was convinced that my BSOD problem is due to my RAM, which shows a ton of errors on memtest, but I'm wondering now whether faulty RAM can account for these TDR failure messages or whether it's more likely that I have two independent issues - one with RAM, one with the graphics card.

Faulty ram will make entire PC look like all the drivers are failing, so yes, Ram can make it look like GPU is problem. Only error count you want in memtest is 0 so I would replace those sticks and see if you still get BSOD. If you do, look at next step.

Random errors also is a sign of bad ram.

Can you follow the steps in the 1st post here, don't do 2nd post unless I suggest it -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was convinced that my BSOD problem is due to my RAM, which shows a ton of errors on memtest, but I'm wondering now whether faulty RAM can account for these TDR failure messages or whether it's more likely that I have two independent issues - one with RAM, one with the graphics card.

Faulty ram will make entire PC look like all the drivers are failing, so yes, Ram can make it look like GPU is problem. Only error count you want in memtest is 0 so I would replace those sticks and see if you still get BSOD. If you do, look at next step.

Can you follow the steps in the 1st post here, don't do 2nd post unless I suggest it - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Last edited:
Reactions: Dimitri001
Solution

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019

Can you follow the steps in the 1st post here, don't do 2nd post unless I suggest it - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Hey, thanks for the help, pal, I'll hold off on what you suggested for now, because I should be getting new RAM today, so I'll see whether that takes care of the BSOD.