[SOLVED] BSOD when recently in sleep mode on a 2 month old PC

thechickenadobo

Reputable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,

I've recently built this new PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (This was bought used)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)

SSD: Kingston A400 240GB

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D30AESBK 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16 GB (8 GB x 2), CL15 (Grey)

PSU: Corsair RM650

My PC has been fine IF I turn off the PC every night. However leaving it in sleep mode overnight/during work and then using it sometimes causes it to BSOD a few minutes (10/20min) after boot from sleep mode.

The only changes I've done is going into the BIOS and making sure the RAM runs at 3000mhz (upped it from 2400mhz)

The SSD & HDD both come from my old PC that had a few problems (currently my PC somehow has 2 windows 10 versions and always asks me to pick one on boot)

The GTX 1070 was bought used*

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Solution

Then your next step would be to completely wipe your operating system hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Windows is not a modular operating system unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install.

Windows 10 will frequently still work when people cut corners like this on their builds, but it will frequently either not work at all or leave a builder chasing down obnoxious little problems like this for months or years. So it's better to just do it right the first time; you may have another problem that's causing this, but as long as you have an improperly installed operating system, it's very hard to nail down what this other problem would be.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello,

I've recently built this new PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070

HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)

SSD: Kingston A400 240GB

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D30AESBK 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16 GB (8 GB x 2), CL15 (Grey)

PSU: Corsair RM650

My PC has been fine IF I turn off the PC every night. However leaving it in sleep mode overnight/during work and then using it sometimes causes it to BSOD a few minutes (10/20min) after boot from sleep mode.

The only changes I've done is going into the BIOS and making sure the RAM runs at 3000mhz (upped it from 2400mhz)

The SSD & HDD both come from my old PC that had a few problems (currently my PC somehow has 2 windows 10 versions and always asks me to pick one on boot)

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Wait, did you just swap in your drives from your old PC?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Then your next step would be to completely wipe your operating system hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Windows is not a modular operating system unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install.

Windows 10 will frequently still work when people cut corners like this on their builds, but it will frequently either not work at all or leave a builder chasing down obnoxious little problems like this for months or years. So it's better to just do it right the first time; you may have another problem that's causing this, but as long as you have an improperly installed operating system, it's very hard to nail down what this other problem would be.

Reactions: captaincharisma
Solution

thechickenadobo

Reputable
Nov 30, 2018

Sure ok, I've recently bought a new 480gb SSD. I'll install Windows on that and then remove the 2 existing HDD & SSD from my build.

Will probably do so during the weekend, in the meantime do you think theres anything else that could cause this? Everything except SSD/HDD/GPU is brand new.

Sure ok, I've recently bought a new 480gb SSD. I'll install Windows on that and then remove the 2 existing HDD & SSD from my build.

Will probably do so during the weekend, in the meantime do you think theres anything else that could cause this? Everything except SSD/HDD/GPU is brand new.

as in the last reply you got we could be here hours tracking it down when the issue could be a combination of things from running a copy of windows 10 that was from an old build. if you cant wait then turn sleep mode off and set a screensaver