Question BSOD when using Ableton Live 11 in Windows 10 "irql_not_less_or_equal ntoskrnl.exe" ?

May 22, 2021
Hello guys! I'd really appreciate your insights here as I've tried many workarounds to no avail.

When I use Ableton Live 11 I get a BSOD after around 30 minutes of usage. I downloaded "BlueScreenView" and it shows this: irql_not_less_or_equal ntoskrnl.exe

PC Specifications: Lenovo Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 4800h, GTX 1660 TI, 16 GB, SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L2 512.1 GB, CT1000MX500SSD1 1000.2 GB)

Looking at the internet, it says that it could be the following things:

1. Faulty Ram: I used memtest86 for 4 passes and it completed succesfully with no errors at all
  2. Bad drivers: This is a tricky one... How can I identify the driver which is causing the problem in order to reinstall it?
  3. Corrupted system: I used the following cmd commands and it shows no errors: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and sfc /scannow
  4. Damaged/Failing hard drive: This laptop is fairly new and it has two SSDs, the main one (512 GB) where the OS is installed is the one that is used, but the other one (1 TB Crucial 500) is totally new. Nonetheless, I used CrystalDiskInfo and both of them show a health status of 100%
Windows is fully updated and Lenovo Vantage doesn't reflect any extra driver updates. I went ahead and used DriversCloud to update any drivers just in case and updated AMD Chipset (this didn't solve the issue).

I uploaded the dump files to mediafire so you guys can check it out if needed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1x81hngbkoia35q/CrashDumps.rar/file
Thanks! I'd really appreciate your help here.

Edit: Performed 2 hours of Prime95 stress testing to see if the problem lies in CPU - 0 errors or warnings

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
the debugger reported IP_MISALIGNED (instruction pointer is how the CPU knows what CPU instruction to execute next) on errors 1, 3 & 5.

this could be a power problem to the CPU or a overheating problem or malware infecting something (maybe)

You have run most of the tests I can find that answer the IP Misaligned thing. Its 2nd time I seen same error this week (I hadn't noticed it before)

as usual none of the errors show a driver name

try checking temps in laptop

run an AV scan as well.

not entirely sure how to check psu in a laptop

May 22, 2021
the debugger reported IP_MISALIGNED (instruction pointer is how the CPU knows what CPU instruction to execute next) on errors 1, 3 & 5.

this could be a power problem to the CPU or a overheating problem or malware infecting something (maybe)

You have run most of the tests I can find that answer the IP Misaligned thing. Its 2nd time I seen same error this week (I hadn't noticed it before)

as usual none of the errors show a driver name

try checking temps in laptop

run an AV scan as well.

not entirely sure how to check psu in a laptop

I ran Prime95 for 2 hours and it reached 80c with no errors at all so I'm not sure if this could be caused by high temps.

I'm going to run malwarebytes on safe mode to check if there's any malware... This only happens when I use Ableton and Focusrite drivers (audio interface). I switched to Asio4All and the problem hasn't appeared again.

Considering that this only happens when I use Ableton, I'm going to reinstall it and also rollback to a previous focusrite drivers version.

Last edited by a moderator: