[SOLVED] BSoD while playing a game that my laptop should actually handle with ease

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
So I've started playing Star Ocean The Last Hope last night. Was playing on 1080p and medium graphical settings. The CPU and GPU temp was always between 59'C and 69'C, sometimes jumping only for a split second to like 75'C when I entered a new room and the game had to load a bit more I guess. After about 3,5h of playing, with a temp still below 70'C and in a room that was already fully loaded some minutes ago, I got a BSoD. Now, since I always like to experiment with this kind of stuff, I have some ideas and questions. Please, if it's not too much of a problem, answer all of them. Even a short answer will do for each question.

Here's the introduction first. In order to decrease the heat of my laptop I'm undervolting it. My sweetspot is at - 70.4mVA, tested that a lot of times already. Also using a cooler under the laptop. When using 99% of my CPU it goes to 2.8GHz, on 100% it goes to 3.8GHz. So here are my questions.

1. My game couldn't have crashed cuz of heat issues, right? Under 70'C while gaming should be fine, right? Or were 3,5h of gaming too much?

2. In order to avoid unnecessary heating, I've set my CPU usage to max 3.2GHz. Less GHz = less heat, right? Had constant 60fps with that. Is it possible that the game crashed cuz those 3.2GHz just weren't enough? But then the fps wouldn't been at 60 all the time, right?

3. My guess would be that BSoD happened because of the - 70.4mVA. Maybe this game needs a bit more juice than the others I have played till now, so I should be fine with like -65.4mVA. Does that make sense?

4. When I started playing my RAM usage was at 3500 MB, but shortly before BSoD it was already up to 4800 MB. Shouldn't be a problem though, I had nothing else running in the background, and my RAM is 8GB. Can exiting the game every 1,5h and starting it new "refresh" the RAM usage and lower the risk of BSoD?

5. Can undervolting too much actually raise my laptop's temperature? Also, can setting my CPU's performance to 3.2GHz instead of the default 3.8GHz make the CPU run hotter? Less power should always mean less heat, or am I wrong?

That's all, thank you for your time! :) Also, sorry if I posted this into the wrong category. I'm pretty sure it's a CPU issue, that's why I picked this one.

ASUS n550jv
i7 4700HQ
Nvidia 950m 2GB
RAM 8GB

Solution
So I've started playing Star Ocean The Last Hope last night. Was playing on 1080p and medium graphical settings. The CPU and GPU temp was always between 59'C and 69'C, sometimes jumping only for a split second to like 75'C when I entered a new room and the game had to load a bit more I guess. After about 3,5h of playing, with a temp still below 70'C and in a room that was already fully loaded some minutes ago, I got a BSoD. Now, since I always like to experiment with this kind of stuff, I have some ideas and questions. Please, if it's not too much of a problem, answer all of them. Even a short answer will do for each question.

Here's the introduction first. In order to decrease the heat of my laptop I'm undervolting it. My...

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013

Here's the introduction first. In order to decrease the heat of my laptop I'm undervolting it. My sweetspot is at - 70.4mVA, tested that a lot of times already. Also using a cooler under the laptop. When using 99% of my CPU it goes to 2.8GHz, on 100% it goes to 3.8GHz. So here are my questions.

1. My game couldn't have crashed cuz of heat issues, right? Under 70'C while gaming should be fine, right? Or were 3,5h of gaming too much?

2. In order to avoid unnecessary heating, I've set my CPU usage to max 3.2GHz. Less GHz = less heat, right? Had constant 60fps with that. Is it possible that the game crashed cuz those 3.2GHz just weren't enough? But then the fps wouldn't been at 60 all the time, right?

3. My guess would be that BSoD happened because of the - 70.4mVA. Maybe this game needs a bit more juice than the others I have played till now, so I should be fine with like -65.4mVA. Does that make sense?

4. When I started playing my RAM usage was at 3500 MB, but shortly before BSoD it was already up to 4800 MB. Shouldn't be a problem though, I had nothing else running in the background, and my RAM is 8GB. Can exiting the game every 1,5h and starting it new "refresh" the RAM usage and lower the risk of BSoD?

5. Can undervolting too much actually raise my laptop's temperature? Also, can setting my CPU's performance to 3.2GHz instead of the default 3.8GHz make the CPU run hotter? Less power should always mean less heat, or am I wrong?

That's all, thank you for your time! :) Also, sorry if I posted this into the wrong category. I'm pretty sure it's a CPU issue, that's why I picked this one.

ASUS n550jv
i7 4700HQ
Nvidia 950m 2GB
RAM 8GB

1. Temp are fine there isnt much problem there.
  2. The game wouldnt crash due to clocks being lower
  3. You probably should be fine with -65.4, you will know for sure by trying it out and checking if it will occur again
  4. Not really sure about that
  5. Sometimes and for certain laptop manufacturers, the fan speed tend to slow down when you undervolt the cpu, which can then rasie the temperature as the fan is spinning slower. I dont know if its the case here but there are chances.
game wouldnt crash because of the clock speed sound like undervolting is the issues here, maybe the game is drawing more power from the cpu and the voltage is just not cutting it. to check try removing the under volt and see if there is any BSOD. And try a bit more higher values like -40mVA for the game you are playing, and from there keep going lower to find a stable undervolt.

Solution

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
  1. Temp are fine there isnt much problem there.
  2. The game wouldnt crash due to clocks being lower
  3. You probably should be fine with -65.4, you will know for sure by trying it out and checking if it will occur again
  4. Not really sure about that
  5. Sometimes and for certain laptop manufacturers, the fan speed tend to slow down when you undervolt the cpu, which can then rasie the temperature as the fan is spinning slower. I dont know if its the case here but there are chances.
game wouldnt crash because of the clock speed sound like undervolting is the issues here, maybe the game is drawing more power from the cpu and the voltage is just not cutting it. to check try removing the under volt and see if there is any BSOD. And try a bit more higher values like -40mVA for the game you are playing, and from there keep going lower to find a stable undervolt.
Cool! Thank you very much! I also thought that undervolting would probably be the factor here, but it's strange that I already ran more demanding games and for longer periods on these settings and it was always fine. Well, so be it, let's give the laptop some more juice and see what happens. Cheers!

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Cool! Thank you very much! I also thought that undervolting would probably be the factor here, but it's strange that I already ran more demanding games and for longer periods on these settings and it was always fine. Well, so be it, let's give the laptop some more juice and see what happens. Cheers!
No problem, hope everything turns out to be great.😇