Question BSOD with volmgr 161 error

Jun 23, 2019
Hello,

I have since a long time frequent BSOD when i'm playing guild wars 2, sometimes after 5 min or after 3 hours or nothing during all my session.
In the windows event viewer, i get these errors :

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-23T10:39:18.226029900Z" />

<EventRecordID>53009</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>MSI</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">278</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffc68af2e794a0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

And this one before :

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="volmgr" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49156">161</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-23T10:39:18.007852400Z" />

<EventRecordID>53006</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>MSI</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume3</Data>

<Binary>000000000100000000000000A10004C081000200010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

I read lots of threads about this error , but i don't find any one where the asker said is problem was solved.

I tried some solutions before posting to give you the most precise information i can give to you :

- I run the following command : "sfc /scannow "

Here is the result logs : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CyrR-9eDvEOBqWi1yXZk3hnniay6W7VI

- I run crystal disk and i obtain these two reports :

disk C : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xaWJvJNNGkGxysrzubhXawivaSKxvzo8
disk D : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pPBblQKOnZCuio2N1c0Zs34LsGdY6KnF

I change my disk D from HDD to SSD yesterday (not the crash reason because i got them before i changed it)

- I run speccy scan :
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yqzhjCzY5c7DrnDpqznYjPQ
Here the same in txt : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SUX3eKfAEmhkPug16SQOF_biiCLrCrx3

Finaly , the crash is generating white screen and "strident" sound if a sound was played at the moment of the crash , after 5 seconds my PC is restarting but i don't find dump files with the software "whocrashed".

I hope you can help me because I can not really find anything conclusive on the internet.
If you are needing other information, I remain at your disposal.

Thank you in advance.

Eliondir

Colif

Win 11 Master
Getting a little tired of BSOD not creating dump files

Bugcheck 278 = 0x116 = VIDEO_TDR_ERROR - "This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed."
Probably, update the video driver, downgrade the driver (if latest update doesn't work), or remove and reinstall the current driver. Update the firmware, downgrade the firmware (if latest update doesn't work). Ensure you're using the latest BIOS for your motherboard as well. If you're overclocking anything, stop doing so.

Jun 23, 2019
Hello Colif,

Thanks you for your fast answer ,
I follow your pinned thread to activate the dump files but my computer continue to don't generate them ...

i was getting the same problem before updating (during this week) my nvidia drivers (using geforce experience) then i'm going to try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it , same for the driver.
I don't overclock anything (to my knowledge).

I'm going to try to update my BIOS , on the MSI support i find a more recent ver (from 2018-02-23 ).

I'm going to comment this thread after doing this and try to reproduce the bsod.

Jun 23, 2019
I updated my bios and do a complete reinstall of my nvidia video drivers and suits.
But the problem continue to exist with the same error code.
I'm going to try your two solutions and i contact you after.

Jun 23, 2019
I just finish to follow the tutorial to fully uninstall video drivers and i only install the video drivers without geforce Experience.
Colif,
i try to follow what your link is saying about dump file,
and i finally got this : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RzzAVg4FpwZG1r-ahHjA2dzg2RhmrnEc (sorry my OS is in french...)
I think all the point are normaly good but i don't know how to verify this one :
  • It is possible that the SCSI controller is bad or the system crash is caused by a bad SCSI controller board.
if you can give me an idea.

I'm going to try to launch guild wars 2 and see if i continue to crash. I'm going to post after.

Jun 23, 2019
I come back to you,
I was able to play during 2h with only nvidia drivers and no geforce experience installed but my computer crashed one more time with same error code before.
The crash don't give me dump this time too ...

PS : I find that \HarddiskVolume3 (in the volmgr error) is a reference to my system UEFI volume on my C: (if this can help)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had to sleep, I have sent link to this post to a friend who will convert dump files, we see if it mentions hard drives at all

what model notebook is it? is this it? https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro/Specification

I doubt a notebook would have scsi controller boards, its not a normal connection for motherboards in general. Its more a server thing

knowing which of the drives is volume3 might help, you have an ssd and an sshd inside. I am not even sure if that event is part of the problem you are having with gpu

Colif

Win 11 Master
Actually that volmgr error is related to why we aren't getting dump files
Are you seeing event 46?
Do you have a page file?
I wonder if the page file was on the sshd as how big is the ssd that was in the notebook all along? if its only 128gb its possible the page file was on the sshd

See if there are any firmware updates for the ssd, that might fix it.

can you right click start
choose disk management
which drive is showing as having the Page file. It should be on C
perhaps take a screenshot, upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

the efi code of the drive doesn't really help as every drive on earth has its own code. It's how the pc knows what drive to write to, but it doesn't help us identify the drive.

search for command prompt
right click the control panel result and run as admin
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list vol and press enter - this will show all the volumes, easy way to identify volume 3 if its still there.
take another screenshot, upload it to image sharing website and show link here.
type exit and press enter. close command prompt

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

none of this is actually fixing the bsod, its all trying to figure out why we not getting dump files.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
As you can see , filepage are on my C: .

1561440834-disk.png

The result of diskpart :

1561440968-diskpart.png

The first SFC \ scannow find errors, i run the second command but it create an error :

1561443645-sfc.png

I need to go work and i can't wait for the second sfc , i'm going to post the result when i finish to work.

For the diskpart, i see nothing write in normal use (youtube etc...) but i'm going to test after work on guild wars 2 to see if he write something.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't read French but I suspect what you got was
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store
cannot be repaired.
At line:1 char:1
  • Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

the source is essentially a copy of windows 10 compressed on a drive partition, its what windows uses to install itself after a reset, it is the files that SFC uses to compares running system files against good ones.

SFC checks running files to make sure they match what it has
DISM (2nd command) checks the files SFC is using against what it has on image, and can replace/fix any that are wrong.
running SFC again once DISM has fixed things lets SFC fix the running files.
but your source cannot be found...

There is a fix for the source problem but it would require a copy of the iso that matches the build. The current ISO on Microsoft website is 1903. You are on 1803. Microsoft don't have older official ISO. The fix uses the ISO files to replace the ones you are lacking.

What I think is best fix is a clean install. Do you need the 128gb ssd? Why not just put everything on the new one, its bound to be faster, you could put anything you want to save right now onto the 128gb ssd and take it out of netbook while you clean install 1903 on current one, and put it back in once you finished.

it might even fix the BSOD while you at it... and the lack of dump files.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

once win 10 on ssd, and it boots fine, put old 128gb back in and copy anything off it, then format it so its old boot partition doesn't get in the way

Jun 23, 2019
Hello,

You are right for the error , it's exactly what i got (sorry i forgot this is write in french).

I'm going to buy a new m.2 to replace the 128gb one (1to) and i'm going to do the clean install on this one.

Do you think a fresh install will repair the crash problem or only permit us to get the dump files?

Another question, to install os on my D: should i erase all data on it before or can i do a little partition and delete it after buying my m.2 ssd?

Colif

Win 11 Master
1561440834-disk.png

D Drive
it really depends on 2 things
  1. what boot method is set as in bios, and
  2. what format the drive is actually now
1. Currently C is using MBR disk format, with that format the 1st partition on drive has to be the boot partition (your system partition) and as your bios is set to Legacy you would need to delete the 1st partition and install 10 in its place

your bios only has 2 choices, legacy or UEFI, some support a 3rd which is Auto and means it can swap on the fly, if it doesn't find one, it restarts and looks for other.

Legacy (as name suggests) is the old way Windows used to format drives, but it has downsides.
  • MBR drive format doesn't support more than 4 partitions
  • max drive size it can read is 2.2tb.
  • Boot partition has to be 1st on drive, normally 1st drive of PC.
UEFI was created to fix many of Legacy bios short comings, and the drive format it supports is GPT.
  • GPT drives can have up to 256 partitions on them
  • drive size max is 18.8 million tb.
  • Boot partition can be anywhere on any drive
2. Need to know what format D is, I suspect your D will be MBR but I am not 100% sure as even Win 7 computers could create GPT storage drives.

speccy doesn't tell me
open command prompt with admin rights
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
the far column should say GPT and if there is an asterix in the column, drive is GPT

if D is MBR, you could just stay on legacy and delete 1st partition
If D is GPT, you could delete either partition and install win 10 on it.
You would need to swap boot method (see below) before installing win 10 on it though

I would suggest swapping to UEFI before you install win 10 on the new drive when you get it. then just delete the install off D.

How to change bios boot method (don't do this until you installing or PC won't boot now):

How to Select Boot Mode in your BIOS
  1. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, press the DEL key immediately and enter the BIOS menu.
  2. Move the cursor to [Boot] tab, and select [Boot mode select] in Boot Configuration.
  3. For operating systems support UEFI-based BIOS (Windows 10 and Windows 8.1), it is suggested to select [UEFI].
  4. For Windows 7 or previous versions of Windows, select [Legacy] mode.
page 3-26 of your manual

Fresh install
Do you think a fresh install will repair the crash problem or only permit us to get the dump files?

It should, its not my 1st step for BSOD solution, I really prefer to fix them without it, but clean install forces PC to load all new drivers and newer version of win 10 (1903) might resolve the gpu errors as well. Shouldn't need to worry about dump files if you not getting errors :)

this is about 3rd rewrite as i kept figuring out I was wrong :)
make that 9th :D

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Hello colif,

I'm going to buy a new M.2 ssd (i think i will receive it in 2-3days)
i'm going to do the fresh install on this one :)

Ty so much for your help , i'm going to give you the advancement after the fresh install :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I probably gave you too much information in last reply.
Sorry I ignored you about the events, normally they don't have as much effect as BSOD do. You right about there not being a lot of information about the error. One person's explanation on Microsoft website is that it is possible something else has corrupted the files needed to run the process.
Helping someone else with exactly the same problem except his survived a clean install