I'm at a loss with my PC currently.

win 10
i5 6600k
gtx 970
z170-hd3p
hdd/ssd
2 x 4gb vengeance lpx ram
If it matters.

For awhile it's been booting into a BSOD every time, previously it displayed multiple error codes different boots now it's mainly CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Usually it gets to just before the login screen after the boot menu.

I think it originally started with an issue with firefox, where it would randomly freeze and BSOD. I'm pretty sure it was originally a driver issue. I may have messed something up with Hijackthis by deleting a registry key i thought was malware (as i remember doing something in Hijackthis a week or so before this started happening) but I'm really not too sure and don't think i would have.

Previously /sfc scannow would find and fix a problem or i could boot into safe mode momentarily, now i can't get that far without a BSOD.

So far i have formatted both the hard drives and reinstalled windows on the SSD, but whenever i do that it just boots into BSOD again.

I then replaced the SSD, with a brand new one to no avail.

I replaced the SATA cables from the SSD and HDD.

I have ran it without the wifi card, HDD, keyboard, mouse etc.

I've ran it without the graphics card just using the on-board card.

I have just replaced the motherboard with the hd3p originally it was a z170-e, but still didn't change anything.

I'm currently on pass 5 of the memtest86 with no errors, but will leave it going.

And last time i checked the temps were fine.

So i really have no clue unless it's the processor or the PSU, but it starts up fine and and access all the boot menus and advanced options so i don't think it would be the processor or would it?

Also would the PSU keep causing this issue over and over?

It's been having this problem for months and i have been slowly replacing and trying to narrow down the fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm half tempted just to use all the spare parts I've acuminated and build a new PC

Also - Startup repair doesn't work, sometimes it BSOD during it other times it would say there was no issue.

Solution
So i really have no clue unless it's the processor or the PSU, but it starts up fine and and access all the boot menus and advanced options so i don't think it would be the processor or would it?

Even though the boot menus and advanced options can be accessed, it doesn't mean the CPU is not faulty.
Yes, both the CPU and PSU can cause this kind of issues. You'd be surprised what kind of issues hardware can cause, since hardware can become defective at all kinds of places.

The only way to get a 100% test result for the PSU is replacement. I recommend to replace the PSU with one from someone you know that has a good PSU, if the test fails you know the CPU is probably faulty...

r4dko

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Hi sorry forgot to mention, reinstalling windows doesn't seem to work. Sometimes it installs without issue but then BSOD on boot again. Sometimes it BSOD bnefore the disk loads. I have the original windows 10 CD.

I think it may be a hardware issue but i didn't know where else to ask so thought i would post this on the win 10 forum.

r4dko

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

I ran it pass 6 yesterday without fails, I'm going to leave it running for as long as possible today one stick at a time to double check.

r4dko

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Ran memtest to pass 10 on one stick and 6 on the other without any errors, i just created a copy of windows using Microsofts creation tool on a USB stick to try boot off that, but that BSOD straight after selecting it in the boot menu with system_thread_not_handled everytime.

Currently neither hard drives have windows on them nor can i install windows on them.

Even though the boot menus and advanced options can be accessed, it doesn't mean the CPU is not faulty.
Yes, both the CPU and PSU can cause this kind of issues. You'd be surprised what kind of issues hardware can cause, since hardware can become defective at all kinds of places.

The only way to get a 100% test result for the PSU is replacement. I recommend to replace the PSU with one from someone you know that has a good PSU, if the test fails you know the CPU is probably faulty, else it's the PSU.
Probably, because there is always a chance either of the other replaced parts are faulty.

Solution

r4dko

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Replaced the CPU today, was the fault. Thanks again.