Question BSODs due to due to ntoskrnl.exe

Aug 19, 2022
I've been getting multiple BSODs recently and at this point I've tried a lot of fixes, but nothing has worked. My BSODs are related to ntoskrnl.exe, but I read that this is not a cause and is rather a result of another error, so I have no clue what is causing it. I've posted on Microsoft support forums a couple of times, and they too are unable to figure it out, so I thought I would come here to see.
What I have done so far already is:
  • Ran verifier
  • Updated and reinstalled drivers (have tried installing older graphics drivers after DDUing existing ones)
    • NVIDIA Drivers
    • AMD Chipset Drivers (Latest AMD GPIO3 Controller driver was found to be a cause of a BSOD while running verifier, so I rolled it back)
  • Ran chkdsk and scannow for disk or windows file errors
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (multiple times, have come up with nothing) (just heard about using memtest86, but have not tried yet)
  • Checked drive status using HD Tune (no issues with boot drive)
  • Heard about updating BIOS, but since I am on 1st gen Ryzen, AsRock doesn't recommend updating the BIOS further than the current version I have)
Here is my latest minidump file, which occurred while I was playing the Sims 4: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhhXYHTFhch_hQdEhhVrLs8MZFLD?e=4Qf1WT
I ran the file through WinDbg and Bluescreenviewer, couldn't find much from WinDbg, Bluescreenviewer only told me about ntoskrnl.exe

Here are some of the dump files from previous days:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhhXYHTFhch_hQiPDBrZNAaP1vLq?e=JzkYe3

If anybody has any suggestions on what I can try, please let me know, I'm really tired but willing to try something if there's a chance I can fix it. Really wouldn't want to have to go down the route of reinstalling Windows or replacing hardware (I still don't know where the problems came from)

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Overclocked to 3.89 ghz)
MB: AsRock B350M Pro 4 (BIOS 5.90, most up to date for my chipset)
RAM: 24 GB DDR4 at 2667mhz (comprised of a 2 x 4 and 2 x 8 set respectively)
STORAGE: ADATA S800 128Gb (boot drive), WD Blue (1 TB), Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 6GB (Stock at 1620 mhz base)
PSU: EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze

System is about 6 years old, newest components include the 970 Evo that is a couple months old, and the 2x8 set of the RAM that I got a year ago)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove the overclock
ntoskrnl = windows kernel. It was what crashed but it wasn't cause, its the victim

I will ask a friend to convert dumps but it might be a few days.

odd chipset driver causing BSOD
don't update bios past where they recommend. They remove functions/support each new update from CPU they no longer support. They only Motherboard maker that does that.

Aug 19, 2022
remove the overclock
ntoskrnl = windows kernel. It was what crashed but it wasn't cause, its the victim

I will ask a friend to convert dumps but it might be a few days.

odd chipset driver causing BSOD
don't update bios past where they recommend. They remove functions/support each new update from CPU they no longer support. They only Motherboard maker that does that.

Thank you for replying!

I forgot to mention this in the OP, but I had to overclock the RAM when I got the second set (2x8 at 3200 mhz). My original set was able to hold 3200mhz with no issues, but given that they were different brands, I wasn't able to hold the 3200mhz setting without overclocking. In the end I wasn't able to overclock it past the 2667mhz that I listed. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I removed the overclock on the ram now, and the speed is now automatically set to 2400mhz.

Aug 19, 2022
try removing new set of ram and see if it makes any difference... or take the 2x4 out and run with just 16gb

mixed ram could be cause.

Not entirely sure what did it, but I ran verifier a couple more times and deleted a couple of applications that had supposedly faulty drivers. One was asio2.sys, related to ASUS software, but the only piece of ASUS hardware is my GPU, and I didn't need any of the software anyways, so I deleted that. The other driver appeared to be from Gameloop, so I decided to just delete Gameloop. After removing both, Verifier no longer picked up any BSODs and I also haven't experienced any in regular use (running the games that I experienced BSODs with). If I start getting BSODs again, I'll try removing the ram sets.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
asio.sys is used to adjust hardware values on their hardware, it probably came along with GPU Tweak 2 if you ever installed it.

Verifer is one way to identify drivers, its just not the safest.

hope it works out for you :)