OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

My laptop is malfunctioning since a month or two. I have tried countless things, but the list of problems only gets bigger. So much happened and I do not know what is relevant, apologies for the long post.

At first, the temperature of the CPU suddenly rose to 91c steady, both in idle and under extreme load(max 93c during a stresstest). The second that i opened CPU temp, the temperature changed to expected levels, on idle within 5 seconds back to around 50c. The laptop itself got hot too, the air too, it's not just the sensors. After the first row of tests(antivir, all Windows build-in checks and scans, memtest, performance tests) and a clean reinstall of Windows 11, nothing changed. I accidentally figured out that if I set the maximum processor power state to 99% in the powerplans, the temperature is back to normal levels, all the time. All good for a few days.

I got random BSOD's after that. First my laptop wouldn't start after a BSOD which I couldn't read quick enough, I don't know the stopcode. After another clean install the real problems started. Every startup a BSOD only showing Avast and NT Kernel & System as culprits. Uninstalled Avast, no more BSOD on startup. Explorer is very slow, my internet connection suddenly dropped to 1/4th of the usual speed, I cannot connect my laptop through HDMI to my TV and my Bluetooth speaker with my TV anymore without crackles and breaks in the sound. Directly to my laptop works fine, until I watched a movie in VLC, skipped back a few seconds with the keyboard and got a BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BthA2dp.sys(bluetooth driver). Reinstalled the bluetooth, LAN, wifi drivers. Same problems using VLC(and sometimes starting a game, only if any BT speaker or headphones are connected), but my internet speed got up to 2/3 of my usual speed after reinstalling the lan/bt card and drivers.

Upgraded my RAM from 16gb to 32gb as planned before the problems, slight improvement when loading explorer. The rest is the same.

WhySoSLow reads poor Kernel and App Responsiveness(12-14ms max, 0,002 average) and spikes of Hard Pagefault (500 pf/s max, but 0,0 average)
LatencyMon reads extreme high DCP and IRS execution times(2k+) and names wdf01000.sys as the problem.

wdf01000.sys is also mentioned in a few of the many BSOD's(DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION), although almost all of them are BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with BthA2sp.sys and NT Kernel & System.

Please let me know which results or reports you need from me, I have so much that I don't know what to show.

My system:

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance. Moving to another country very soon, no options to make use of warranty or pay for expensive diagnosis.

EDIT: Just got a brand new BSOD while (again) updating my GPU drivers, driver has not been updated:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 0x000000c9 pci.sys pci.sys+700e0 NT Plug and Play PCI Enumerator Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.22621.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+42b8f0

Last edited:

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Ah, forgot to uninstall. Only downloaded it recommended by a friend, Driver Booster found more updates than he could, didn't find any newer drivers for me.

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
So I have turned off driver verifier again(did this at least 3 times, after every clean install) and all problems evaporated. If they come back, I'll update!

OwenJW

Reputable
Nov 1, 2019
Unfortunately I still have problems with sound. Sound through my laptop speaker crackles too now.
Everything else is back to normal, super fast.

WhySoSlow says:

---
Application responsiveness
The highest application responsiveness on your system was measured at 0,853 ms. This value is considered fair.(should be excellent)

Kernel latencies and real-time capabilities
The highest kernel responsiveness on your system was measured at 0,822 ms. This value is considered fair, your system may appear to have difficult processing tasks in real-time. Note that this value says does not say anything about your overall system performance. (should be excellent)

BIOS and chipset behavior
The highest measured SM BIOS interrupt or other stall was 484 microseconds. This is considered poor behavior. Your system may have difficulty handling multimedia in real-time and may be subject to unexpected stutters and unresponsive behavior.
---

I have updated my chipset again, I cannot find a BIOS update.

Any suggestions?