BT Internet intermittently disconnects throughout the day

microserfs

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Hey there,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I've been having this problem for about a week now, and it happens daily, but for some reason the internet connection will intermittently disconnect throughout the day. Sometimes it'll be fine for several hours, and sometimes it'll drop like a few times in a row across an hour. It's really random and I can't think what would be setting it off.

We have a BT Home Hub 5 (set up by the landlord where we are living) with BT Infinity Fibre. When it happens the router light will start flashing red/orange and the broadband light will come on to indicate no connection. This isn't just a Wifi thing, it also affects the ethernet connections. I have tried calling them, to which they said the network team would call me back within 48 hours, which never happened in the end as I didn't hear from them. As I've been busy and it's not been a constant disconnect, I've not gotten around to calling them back but I figured there might be someone here with some knowledge who may be able to figure out what the problem may be in the meantime. I don't have account details to the broadband, so can only access the router (and when I asked the landlord, she says she has no idea where the account details are).

Is there anyone who may have a theory or advice on what I can do in the meantime? I'm leaning towards it being more of a router issue since the telephone line is fine, and our other router in the bedroom doesn't drop out (we have an ethernet running from the original router to the secondary router since the wireless won't reach the other places in the house)

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

msfexploit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
I need you to connect directly to your modem via ethernet and see if it still does that. Also make sure correct power cable are plugged into the, and they are not switched around.

microserfs

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016

Ah, it's happening on all the wired devices too, I forgot to mention that. It's the router itself that seems to cut out intermittently. Judging by the event logs from the router settings page, it happens sometimes four times an hour and sometimes it doesn't happen for about 6 hours or more. It's really random.

Nothing with the setup has changed and the cables are where they should be.

Since this has happened our speed has also dropped from 34Mb/s to 19Mb/s so I'm sure there's something amiss.

microserfs

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016

Haha, well from the calls I've made to them already and their lack of communication I know already that they are probably one of the worst companies. I don't particularly like being with them but I've had no choice as it's my landlords internet. Luckily they sent an engineer out who did a few things to try and fix it so hopefully it'll stabilize now.