BTX to ATX case conversion?

Feb 19, 2016
Hello, I have a BTX motherboard in a BTX case and want to move it into a fullsize ATX case but I'd like to keep using the BTX mobo. What would it take to do a conversion and how would I do it? Can it even be done in the first place?

Cheers in advance

Solution
The Thermaltake Kandalf is the only case that comes to mind that had an ATX to BTX conversion kit available. Do you have the metal fabricating skills to make a new rear plate and SRM (Support and Retention Module)?

kandalf_innovation-design_b.jpg
Feb 19, 2016

I know BTX it's outdated and not very good, the thing is, I bought a OEM HP computer for it's CPU and thus the mobo that it came with and I didn't know that it would be a BTX motherboard. I have no ATX motherboards that will fit the CPU so I wondered if I could still use the BTX motherboard in a ATX case.

Hope that makes things clearer

The answer is clearly, NO.

You can't swap btx/atx and converting would need to cut out the entire back case panel because of the difference. It's not worth it. You'd have a much easier time modding your current btx case.

I wouldn't call btx ancient, outdated, not very good, dead, etc. and atx is actually older. It was designed for hot cpus and we still have plenty of that today. It would also be a good idea for builds where the cpu is the hottest component and a powerful gpu is not needed. It's still used on a few oem pcs today.

QwaseZeb

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
Unfortunately it wasn't killed off completely. HP is still using it.
I just bought a refurbished i5 3470 computer from woot.com as a barebone kit to upgrade. They sent me the wrong one in a slim case and only a 240watt power supply.

After searching for a couple weeks I have found only 1 place to buy a new btx full size case. It's in England!
http://www.evercase.co.uk/KM3389B.htm

The HP Z240 Small Form Factor Workstation is the replacement for the HP Z220 SFF Workstation, that you received, and it it doesn't use a BTX form factor motherboard anymore. It is now ATX layout.

Intel was the creator of the BTX form factor spec and they killed off any further support of the spec back in September of 2006. That doesn't mean that OEMs couldn't use it after September 2006. It just means that they are on their own if any problems should arise.