"budget" – Starcraft 2

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi all,

I'm pretty new when it comes to computers and I basically don't know anything. I've never built a computer before so I don't know where to start. I've done some research but I'm still pretty confused.

Approximate purchase date: Now

Budget range: $700-$800

System usage: Starcraft 2, maybe diablo 3 when it comes out. And maybe I'll put a few movies on the hard drive but Starcraft 2 on max settings > all.

Parts not required: I need everything, including mouse/keyboard, OS, etc.

Preferred website: newegg.(ca)

Parts preferred: GTX 460 for sure (one of the best performance/price and that Blizzard games tend to favor Nvidia. Maybe Sandy Bridge, but if you guys can find anything else at the same performance level but cheaper... SB is pretty expensive and I don't know if it's worth it. (SC2 does not use more than a dual core according to a few articles.)

Overclocking, SLI: not in the foreseeable future.

Monitor resolution: 1600x1050 (I think this is what my friend recommends because anything higher is in the "gaming enthusiast" category).
I don't have any parts yet, not even mouse/keyboard or monitor even or OS. Please take this into consideration when recommending me parts.

Additional comments: Since this is my first computer, I'd like it to last maybe 5 years or so before upgrading.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

attackllama

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Sandy bridge will definitely be worth it, especially for SC2. On this sc2 benchmark chart, even the dual core i3 2100 beats AMD's best offering.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/129
From what i see in this chart, extra cores do give a boost. If you dont plan on overclocking, i5 2400 is a great choice.
GTX 460 is a great choice for that resolution.

Fill out this form in your post and it will make it easier for people to help you
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

I think this is a very good build. Will a Nvidia card work with a AMD cpu?

I heard Starcraft 2 really takes advantage of the L3 cache, which I think SB has really well. Does the Phenom X4 have that?

Hmmm... I'm still torn between SB and the amount I want to spend. I'm sure both of you have given me great suggestions. Both of your recommendations will run Starcraft 2 on 1680x1050 with no lag, right? Even if it was a 4v4 match with tons of units?

attackllama

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

The cache doesnt matter as much as the processor architecture. Starcraft 2 obviously favors intel's. Look at the chart i linked in my previous post. It shows CPU performance in SC2 and sandy bridge blows away all the AMD processors